Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Bart Starr Article

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    How strange all this must be for him, then, if he cannot remember he is "Bart Starr" in the way we all do - that is, if he doesn't remember he was the QB of the Packers during their greatest years, then what will it be like for him to stand out on the middle of a field and look up at all these cheering people?

I guess it's just the truth that this is not being done for Bart Starr - it's being done for us.

Well, and so the NFL can make some more money, too.
    I think it's obvious that the Starr family wants to do this. It wouldn't happen otherwise.

"I hope when Bart walks on the field that it will bring back a lot of really nice thoughts and experiences," Cherry told ESPN.com Monday night. "I just think it will be really stimulating to him to see all the lights and all the people and to hear the cheering. I hope it brings back memories for Bart, even if it's just for that moment. It's been a long road to get to this point, and we're all very excited about it."
    Should the Packers refuse their wish? And how does this translate to more money for the NFL?

Senior Rat HOFer Carolina_Packer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    I think it's obvious that the Starr family wants to do this. It wouldn't happen otherwise.

Should the Packers refuse their wish? And how does this translate to more money for the NFL?
    I agree, it's totally up to Bart's family and what they want. I can't say what I'd do in if faced with the same decision, but since nobody knows 100% how the brain works, it would be pretty cool if the experience woke up some memories, and some very cherished ones at that. The man deserves the recognition for sure, whether or not he is able to process it at this point, and let's hope he is. I know that's the stuff of movies, but since nobody can say for sure anyway, I choose to hope for that result.
    "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." -Daniel Patrick Moynihan

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Quote Originally Posted by Carolina_Packer View Post
    I agree, it's totally up to Bart's family and what they want. I can't say what I'd do in if faced with the same decision, but since nobody knows 100% how the brain works, it would be pretty cool if the experience woke up some memories, and some very cherished ones at that. The man deserves the recognition for sure, whether or not he is able to process it at this point, and let's hope he is. I know that's the stuff of movies, but since nobody can say for sure anyway, I choose to hope for that result.
    Good post. I'm hoping for this and praying he doesn't get befuddled and go all 'Rain Man' out there.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Even if there is no miracle, and even if he doesn't understand why, it's very possible that he will be aware that the packed crowd at Lambeau is screaming and cheering for him, which has to be a good feeling. This really is it for the man. Let him have his last moment and hope he enjoys it.
    Fire Murphy, Gute, MLF, Barry, Senavich, etc!

My grandmother suffered from Alzheimers. When she met my daughter, her first great-grandchild, for the first time, she had one of the clearest days in years. Some things do trigger clarity, if only for a moment.

Hopefully this is one.
    No longer the member of any fan clubs. I'm tired of jinxing players out of the league and into obscurity.

I'm not suggesting this shouldn't happen. I'm simply saying that it's being done for us. And that's a tribute to the Starr family.

And in truth, the NFL will make out on this, too. I imagine this event will pump up ratings, and that's good for the bottom line.

I loved Bart Starr when I was a kid. He was my hero - a really class person, cool under fire, the best. I got into lots of schoolyard tussles argung he was way better than Johnny U. I'm just sad that the guy doesn't remember, and sad to imagine that all of this might be more confusing for him than gratifying or enlightening.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

This article makes it seem like Starr is recognizing some things again....

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/14...nal-homecoming

Though Starr's wife of 61 years, Cherry, said her 81-year-old husband doesn't remember specifics of his career and doesn't connect with old clips from his glory days, Starr's trainer, Brian Burns, said Tuesday his most resilient client can now recite a few basic facts he didn't know last month.

"I ask him what his number was, and he says, 'Fifteen,'" Burns said. "I ask him who he played for, and he says, 'Vince Lombardi.' I ask him what position he played, and he says, 'Quarterback.' One time he said, 'Linebacker,' and we got a good laugh over that. But he's made incredible progress. He is really coming back."
    When Starr's executive assistant, Leigh Ann Nelson, recently held up a copy of David Maraniss' biography of Lombardi, "When Pride Still Mattered," and asked him to name the man on the cover who he'd failed to identify for more than a year, Starr responded, "That's Coach Lombardi. Why do you ask?
    Starr is well before my time but I'm extremely jealous of all those attending the game Thursday. I really hope Starr gets the fairy-tale moment he deserves.
    Go PACK

Boyd Dowler on Bart: http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/353980631.html

A. He was always the same. He was never manic, never jumping up and down or yelling and hollering. Always had himself as well everything under control. He wasn’t going off half-cocked. He gave the impression of being — and he was — very reliable. He didn’t make stupid calls. He had good reason for what he called. I could go on and on. That’s the beginning of it.

I started my rookie year and was in most of the huddles that Bart was in charge of for 11 straight years. He was never different. He never really called anybody out. He didn’t get in anybody’s face, which I think is overrated anyway. People nowadays say the quarterback has to get up in the face of the offensive linemen if they give up a sack. I think that’s ridiculous. He knew what to say and when to say it. He had a great manor about him.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    He had a great manor about him.
    I though Bart had a modest home.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    I though Bart had a modest home.
    Explains the job posting for a copy editor at JS.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.