Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Bart Starr Article

Stroke victims sometimes comprehend more than they can convey to others that they comprehend. His family might be banking on that. After all, he apparently still has interest in watching the Packers even if he can't convey to others why he does. Just because he can't explain to others who Lombardi is, or what he, Starr, was to GB doesn't necessarily mean he doesn't comprehend more completely in his own mind. Sometime, the connection between understanding and communicating just doesn't work.

Too bad. At 81 he still could have had some good years left. Are all the blows to the head players took in those days partly responsible?

Sur would have been nice to see Starr, Favre and Rodgers shooting the bull about playing QB in the NFL.

Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    Stroke victims sometimes comprehend more than they can convey to others that they comprehend. His family might be banking on that. After all, he apparently still has interest in watching the Packers even if he can't convey to others why he does. Just because he can't explain to others who Lombardi is, or what he, Starr, was to GB doesn't necessarily mean he doesn't comprehend more completely in his own mind. Sometime, the connection between understanding and communicating just doesn't work.

Too bad. At 81 he still could have had some good years left. Are all the blows to the head players took in those days partly responsible?

Sur would have been nice to see Starr, Favre and Rodgers shooting the bull about playing QB in the NFL.
    Hopefully this is the case. My Godmother lived the last years of her life with Alzheimers, and when I read the article today, my fear was that Bart was in the early stages of Alzheimers. Perhaps though, Bart's problem really is communication more than comprehension. We can only hope.

Bart had a setback, a very serious infection. Per his son on JSO: http://www.jsonline.com/sports/bart-...328408001.html

Bart Starr Jr. told WBAY-TV his father developed an infection that put him back in the hospital for four days and almost killed him.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

so sad. problems with memory/mind are the worst. body will give in soon.

Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Senior Rat HOFer Carolina_Packer's Avatar
    If Bart is able to make it, there will probably be some people getting choked up during that ceremony.
    "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." -Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Name 'em.

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    Hopefully this is the case. My Godmother lived the last years of her life with Alzheimers, and when I read the article today, my fear was that Bart was in the early stages of Alzheimers. Perhaps though, Bart's problem really is communication more than comprehension. We can only hope.

Killed my aunt in her early 60's......was diagnosed in her fifties and I wouldn't wish that on anyone except maybe some ISIS assholes.

Senior Rat HOFer Maxie the Taxi's Avatar
    Dan Currie, Bob Skoronski, Paul Hornung, Maxie, Ron Kramer, Jerry Kramer, Fuzzy, illegible #?, Norm Masters, Jim Taylor, Hank Greminger
    One time Lombardi was disgusted with the team in practice and told them they were going to have to start with the basics. He held up a ball and said: "This is a football." McGee immediately called out, "Stop, coach, you're going too fast," and that gave everyone a laugh.
    John Maxymuk, Packers By The Numbers

Quote Originally Posted by Maxie the Taxi View Post
    Dan Currie, Bob Skoronski, Paul Hornung, Maxie, Ron Kramer, Jerry Kramer, Fuzzy, illegible #?, Norm Masters, Jim Taylor, Hank Greminger
    Illegible # looks like 71. List of Packers who wore #71. http://www0.nfl.packers.com/history/...ers/?number=71

I think it's Bill Forester.

What's with the guy in the purple thing?
    After lunch the players lounged about the hotel patio watching the surf fling white plumes high against the darkening sky. Clouds were piling up in the west… Vince Lombardi frowned.

Quote Originally Posted by HowardRoark View Post
    Prince
    --
    Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...

Quote Originally Posted by Guiness View Post
    Prince
    Its the 70s. That is Elvis.

Quote Originally Posted by HowardRoark View Post
    Platform shoes.

One time Lombardi was disgusted with the team in practice and told them they were going to have to start with the basics. He held up a ball and said: "This is a football." McGee immediately called out, "Stop, coach, you're going too fast," and that gave everyone a laugh.

Oracle Rat HOFer Cheesehead Craig's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rastak View Post
    Killed my aunt in her early 60's......was diagnosed in her fifties and I wouldn't wish that on anyone except maybe some ISIS assholes.
    Got my grandma and feel the same way you do about it. Just a devastating disease.
    All hail the Ruler of the Meadow!

Bart is on schedule to attend. Wednesday, if you want to greet him at the airport and help carry their luggage.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packe...352781221.html

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/14...-lambeau-field

She said her husband does not remember his iconic career as quarterback of the Packers.
    But he's still scheduled to travel tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post

Those hits probably did. Back then if you got woozy they would give you smelling salts and send you back out there not knowing the damage this can cause.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/14...-lambeau-field

But he's still scheduled to travel tomorrow.

How strange all this must be for him, then, if he cannot remember he is "Bart Starr" in the way we all do - that is, if he doesn't remember he was the QB of the Packers during their greatest years, then what will it be like for him to stand out on the middle of a field and look up at all these cheering people?

I guess it's just the truth that this is not being done for Bart Starr - it's being done for us.

Well, and so the NFL can make some more money, too.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    How strange all this must be for him, then, if he cannot remember he is "Bart Starr" in the way we all do - that is, if he doesn't remember he was the QB of the Packers during their greatest years, then what will it be like for him to stand out on the middle of a field and look up at all these cheering people?

I guess it's just the truth that this is not being done for Bart Starr - it's being done for us.

Well, and so the NFL can make some more money, too.
    Cherry will not allow him to be embarrassed.