Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Last Fearless Stab At The 53 Man Roster

No way both Ringo and Thornton make it over Gaston.

I agree on Walker over Lane Taylor, but suspect the Packers might not, for some reason.

I dunno. Lane Taylor was the backup LG for 90% of Sitton's missed snaps.

Who has PS eligibility left?
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Walker does certainly. I doubt it with Taylor, but the rules changed last year, so it's possible. Vujovich is definitely eligible, though.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Harlan Huckleby View Post
    He didn't get bull-rushed in preseason.

He'll be 25 in a month, he's no rookie. McGinn agrees with you that he needs more strength/bulk. At 25, you're not gonna get a complete makeover. Sure PS is ideal, but an LT prospect may get signed to a roster.

If his feet are excellent, and you don't want to lose the guy, maybe you have to live with his shortcomings. It's not like other options for tackle backup are flawless. Fish or cut bait; if he's a strong LT prospect, he's worth carrying on inactive list. He can play catch with Hundley.
    Yes he did. I don't have the games on tape but he got pushed back into the QB's space more than once in the preseason.

Quote Originally Posted by vince View Post
    Yes he did. I don't have the games on tape but he got pushed back into the QB's space more than once in the preseason.
    He got trucked lat night on a play side run. Stuffed backwards into the ball carrier. At least two steps in retreat.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Blog Entries
    I do have last nights game dvr'd yet.

2nd series. Vujnovich got pushed right back into Tolzien and defender easily reached through Vuj to deflect the ball or hit Tolzien's arm as it had just started to move forward, causing the ball to flutter to the side, and forcing the 2nd 3-and-out to start the game. Split second sooner and it would have been a fumble deep in Packer territory.

He has tackle feet but not enough anchor.

He has tackle feet but not enough anchor.
    No backup is perfect. Better than "good anchor no feet" - Barclay.

Of course it would be ideal to hide him for the season, just don't know if this is possible. He can be emergency plan lurking on inactives.

QB (3) Rodgers, Tolzien, Hundley
    RB (5) Lacy, Starks, Neal, Kuhn, Ripkowski
    WR (6) Cobb, Adams, Montgomery, Janis, White, Abbrederis
    TE (3) Rodgers, Quarless, Backman
    OL (8) Bakhtiari, Sitton, Linsley, Lang, Bulaga, Tretter, Barclay, Walker
    DL (5) Daniels, Raji, Pennel, Boyd, Gaston
    LB (9) Peppers, Matthews, Barrington, Neal, Perry, Elliott, Mulumba, Ryan, Palmer
    DB (11) Shields, Hayward, Burnett, Clinton-Dix, Randall, Rollins, Gunter, Goodson, Hyde, Richardson, Banjo
    ST (3) Crosby, Masthay, Goode

Susp: Guion, Jones (I think they'll go one short on the DL initially)

Guys I'd like to see on the practice squad: QB Blanchard, RB Crockett, WR Pinkard, TE Perillo or Henry, OT Vujnovich, OG Rotheram, DL Ringo, OLB Rasco, ILB Thomas or Bradford, S Fanor
    "There's a lot of interest in the draft. It's great. But quite frankly, most of the people that are commenting on it don't know anything about what they are talking about."--Ted Thompson

They have too many good OL to only keep 8. Cut Palmer or Richardson or somebody.

Quote Originally Posted by Harlan Huckleby View Post
    They have too many good OL to only keep 8. Cut Palmer or Richardson or somebody.
    I could see that, but they've rolled with 8 for awhile and I don't know what Taylor gives you that the other three don't already give you. I think it comes down to special teams. I could see them cutting Banjo or Richardson, but those guys might be core special teams players (along with Elliott and Ripkowski). I was looking for the first team charts for special teams in the last game or two, but I couldn't find it. Abbrederis could get cut too. He may stick on the practice squad. Maybe not though. Midround pick could be enticing for WR-starved teams like Carolina.
    "There's a lot of interest in the draft. It's great. But quite frankly, most of the people that are commenting on it don't know anything about what they are talking about."--Ted Thompson

I heard a good analysis on the radio today for why Abrederris will make the final 53:

- Cobb isn't likely to return many punts this year, being the only WR with much experience.
    - Hyde might not be available for game #1, or more.
    - There is a bit of concern about Montgomery's hamstring, and they may want to limit his snaps for a week or more.
    - They like Janis' potential as a punt returner, but he needs more experience catching punts. He has shown good hands, but unsteady getting into position.

Leaving Abrederris as the only reasonable choice to return punts in week #1.

I hope we hear soon the final 53.

Jason Wilde ‏@jasonjwilde 2m2 minutes ago
    They do NOT. RT @treecrew85: do the suspended players occupy a roster spot on the 53 while they are suspended?

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    I heard a good analysis on the radio today for why Abrederris will make the final 53:

- Cobb isn't likely to return many punts this year, being the only WR with much experience.
    - Hyde might not be available for game #1, or more.
    - There is a bit of concern about Montgomery's hamstring, and they may want to limit his snaps for a week or more.
    - They like Janis' potential as a punt returner, but he needs more experience catching punts. He has shown good hands, but unsteady getting into position.

Leaving Abrederris as the only reasonable choice to return punts in week #1.
    SNAFU.

Cobb could still return punts, but be under the 'fair catch rule' where everything is fair caught or let go through the endzone. I could see Stubby going this way just to avoid a Ross-like disaster by putting a queasy Abracadabra back there on opening day.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

We have to decide on that kid's nickname while he is still healthy enough to play.

James jones has just been released by the giants

he's like a 95% lock to sign with us i would have to imagine

Quote Originally Posted by HarveyWallbangers View Post
    I could see that, but they've rolled with 8 for awhile and I don't know what Taylor gives you that the other three don't already give you. I think it comes down to special teams. I could see them cutting Banjo or Richardson, but those guys might be core special teams players (along with Elliott and Ripkowski). I was looking for the first team charts for special teams in the last game or two, but I couldn't find it. Abbrederis could get cut too. He may stick on the practice squad. Maybe not though. Midround pick could be enticing for WR-starved teams like Carolina.
    Taylor seems to be the 6th guy right now by playing time. Tretter and Walker never got to fill Sitton's spot with him around. He got a TON of snaps at Left Guard.

He doesn't give you much flexibility, but the coaches didn't test anyone else out there with the starters. Wouldn't be the first time depth spots went to the versatile, but the coaches seem convinced he is the third best Guard.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Taylor seems to be the 6th guy right now by playing time. Tretter and Walker never got to fill Sitton's spot with him around. He got a TON of snaps at Left Guard.

He doesn't give you much flexibility, but the coaches didn't test anyone else out there with the starters. Wouldn't be the first time depth spots went to the versatile, but the coaches seem convinced he is the third best Guard.
    You guys and a JSO article on Taylor's improvement have me convinced Taylor will make the roster. Put him in. You could take off Goodson, perhaps Walker, or perhaps either Richardson or Banjo. I'm leaning towards them keeping Walker because he's earned a spot and Richardson and Banjo because of special teams. Taylor has probably earned spot more than Goodson.

Blog Entries
    WR (6) Adams, Cobb, Janis, Montgomery, White, Abbrederis
    OL (8) Linsley, Tretter, Lane, Sitton, Walker, Bakhtiari, Bulaga, Barclay, Taylor
    DL (6) Boyd, Daaniels, Pennel, Raji, Ringo, Thornton, Gaston
    LB (9) Barrington, Elliott, Matthews, Mulumba, Neal, Palmer, Peppers, Perry, Ryan
    DB (10) Hyde, Goodson, Gunter, Hayward, Randall, Rollins, Shields, Burnett, Clinton-Dix,
    Richardson

Abbrederis should get to the PS but I don't think they are overly concerned if he doesn't.

I think they'd pick up James Jones immediately if he gets cut.

Hundley's been a big surprise, but not enough to supplant Tolzein as back-up IMO. He still locks onto receivers at times and has a lot to learn yet. His poise, mental clock and decisiveness has been very good though, which a lot of people (me included) didn't expect yet.

Gaston has earned a spot over Thornton IMO.

Lane Taylor has jumped and is one of the 53 best but he can't play tackle. I wouldn't be shocked if they picked up someone from the remains who can hold up at tackle over Barclay, Walker, and/or Tretter. Back-up tackle is a concern I think. I guess Lang could slide out if needed.

Goodson or Banjo for the last DB spot... depends on Goodson's health. Banjo didn't hurt his chances last night but if healthy, I think Goodson's the better player.

I think both Harris and Crockett could develop/ have higher upside than Neal but not this year.

Vaughters has looked decent too. I may need to eat some crow re: him someday.
    Damn you Banjo!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by HarveyWallbangers View Post
    WR (6) Cobb, Adams, Montgomery, Janis, White, Abbrederis
    OL (8) Bakhtiari, Sitton, Linsley, Lang, Bulaga, Tretter, Barclay, Walker
    DL (5) Daniels, Raji, Pennel, Boyd, Gaston
    LB (9) Peppers, Matthews, Barrington, Neal, Perry, Elliott, Mulumba, Ryan, Palmer
    DB (11) Shields, Hayward, Burnett, Clinton-Dix, Randall, Rollins, Gunter, Goodson, Hyde, Richardson, Banjo

Susp: Guion, Jones (I think they'll go one short on the DL initially)

Guys I'd like to see on the practice squad: QB Blanchard, RB Crockett, WR Pinkard, TE Perillo or Henry, OT Vujnovich, OG Rotheram, DL Ringo, OLB Rasco, ILB Thomas or Bradford, S Fanor
    You nailed the defense. Not sure about Goodson/Glover-Wright... Goodson may have some sort of injury designation... Everyone missed Neal. Swap Taylor for Abby and that's pretty much it. Good work.

Vaughters over Rasco for PS though.