Thread: Last Fearless Stab At The 53 Man Roster

Last Fearless Stab At The 53 Man Roster

QB (3) Rodgers, Tolzien, Hundley
    RB (5) Lacy, Starks, Neal, Kuhn, Ripkowski
    WR (6) Adams, Cobb, Janis, Montgomery, White, Abbrederis
    TE (3) Rodgers, Quarless, Backman
    OL (8) Linsley, Tretter, Lane, Sitton, Walker, Bakhtiari, Bulaga, Barclay
    DL (6) Boyd, Daaniels, Pennel, Raji, Ringo, Thornton
    LB (9) Barrington, Elliott, Matthews, Mulumba, Neal, Palmer, Peppers, Perry, Ryan
    DB (10) Hyde, Goodson, Gunter, Hayward, Randall, Rollins, Shields, Burnett, Clinton-Dix,
    Richardson
    ST (3) Crosby, Masthay, Goode

Blog Entries
    Feeling some new liking to the mailman for including Abby in his final 53.

If you listen to MM's interviews he really likes Abby.....talked of his natural hands as a returner and instincts in making others miss. Also a very good route runner....I fear we're cutting him in hopes nobody picks him up and then we stash him on the practice squad for a while. We kind of get two free spots for a bit; I hope Joe is right and they look at him more.
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

Abby missed all of last season, has done nothing this preseason except languish with a concussion, and you guys want him on the roster?

Let him go.

Quote Originally Posted by Teamcheez1 View Post
    Abby missed all of last season, has done nothing this preseason except languish with a concussion, and you guys want him on the roster?

Let him go.
    We've hung onto other players with similar credentials in the past.

Senior Rat HOFer Maxie the Taxi's Avatar
    If it were up to me, I'd keep Crockett instead of Kuhn, and Gaston instead of Thornton.
    One time Lombardi was disgusted with the team in practice and told them they were going to have to start with the basics. He held up a ball and said: "This is a football." McGee immediately called out, "Stop, coach, you're going too fast," and that gave everyone a laugh.
    John Maxymuk, Packers By The Numbers

Quote Originally Posted by Maxie the Taxi View Post
    If it were up to me, I'd keep Crockett instead of Kuhn, and Gaston instead of Thornton.
    Every year people call for a 6th WR...every year it doesn't happen.

I say Perillo makes it before a 6th WR. Not sure if White or Abby is gone. I get that Abby has potential as a returner, but isn't that what Montgomery is supposed to be bringing to the team?

Gunther seems like a shoe-in, that's pretty incredible. If he keeps improving, a year or two from now the Packers could have a pair of UDFAs starting at corner!
    --
    Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...

Still no love for Banjo even after one interception and one tip for another guy's interception? I wish they would cut Richardson, but that ain't happening. Also, Pinkard deserves consideration - I think we would lose him if they tried the practice squad. I don't think they keep 6 D Linemen. Ringo and Thornton both should go and Gaston kept. I like Maxi's idea of Crockett as a back up FB and let Kuhn go, but I doubt they see it that way. Also, it seems like Barclay earned a ticket out of town and either Taylor or Rotheram will stay.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    QB (3) Rodgers, Tolzien, Hundley
    RB (5) Lacy, Starks, Neal, Kuhn, Ripkowski
    WR (6) Adams, Cobb, Janis, Montgomery, White, Abbrederis
    TE (3) Rodgers, Quarless, Backman
    OL (8) Linsley, Tretter, Lane, Sitton, Walker, Bakhtiari, Bulaga, Barclay, Taylor
    DL (6) Boyd, Daaniels, Pennel, Raji, Ringo, Thornton, Gaston
    LB (9) Barrington, Elliott, Matthews, Mulumba, Neal, Palmer, Peppers, Perry, Ryan
    DB (10) Hyde, Goodson, Gunter, Hayward, Randall, Rollins, Shields, Burnett, Clinton-Dix,
    Richardson
    ST (3) Crosby, Masthay, Goode
    Abbrederis should get to the PS but I don't think they are overly concerned if he doesn't.

I think they'd pick up James Jones immediately if he gets cut.

Hundley's been a big surprise, but not enough to supplant Tolzein as back-up IMO. He still locks onto receivers at times and has a lot to learn yet. His poise, mental clock and decisiveness has been very good though, which a lot of people (me included) didn't expect yet.

Gaston has earned a spot over Thornton IMO.

Lane Taylor has jumped and is one of the 53 best but he can't play tackle. I wouldn't be shocked if they picked up someone from the remains who can hold up at tackle over Barclay, Walker, and/or Tretter. Back-up tackle is a concern I think. I guess Lang could slide out if needed.

Goodson or Banjo for the last DB spot... depends on Goodson's health. Banjo didn't hurt his chances last night but if healthy, I think Goodson's the better player.

I think both Harris and Crockett could develop/ have higher upside than Neal but not this year.

Vaughters has looked decent too. I may need to eat some crow re: him someday.
    Last edited by vince; 09-04-2015 at 08:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Guiness View Post
    Gunther seems like a shoe-in, that's pretty incredible. If he keeps improving, a year or two from now the Packers could have a pair of UDFAs starting at corner!
    The have had that ever since Shields became a starter, until this year. He and Tramon Williams were both undrafted.

Quote Originally Posted by vince View Post
    I wouldn't be shocked if they picked up someone from the remains who can hold up at tackle over Barclay, Walker, and/or Tretter.
    That's asking a lot, tackles are scare commodities. I wonder if Vujnovich isn't the best option at backup tackle.

I'm not sure on how the numbers would work out, but I have a fear that a few bigger name players to us maybe cut.

Tolzien - not that he hasn't played well, Hundley just played better...and NOT like a rookie. He could come in and play this year or even start if needed. Roster spots are huge, not sure Packers can waste 3 on QB's; would rather put a developmental one on PS.

Starks/Kuhn - I think Neal and Ripkowski have played at a high level. Again, roster spots are valuable.

Masthay - this worked out bad for us years back, but he had been punting horribly...only thing that might save him is holding for Crosby.
    If you don't like me....bite me...
    ....want some, come get some!

Senior Rat HOFer Maxie the Taxi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ballboy View Post
    I'm not sure on how the numbers would work out, but I have a fear that a few bigger name players to us maybe cut.

Tolzien - not that he hasn't played well, Hundley just played better...and NOT like a rookie. He could come in and play this year or even start if needed. Roster spots are huge, not sure Packers can waste 3 on QB's; would rather put a developmental one on PS.

Starks/Kuhn - I think Neal and Ripkowski have played at a high level. Again, roster spots are valuable.

Masthay - this worked out bad for us years back, but he had been punting horribly...only thing that might save him is holding for Crosby.
    I agree mostly. If we keep only two QB's on the 53 (#12 and Hundley) and both go down this season, the rest of the season is a crapshoot no matter who steps in at QB.

Ripkowski is a Kuhn clone. Why keep both?

We can use the extra roster spots for the DL (Gaston) and/or an extra RB (Crockett).
    One time Lombardi was disgusted with the team in practice and told them they were going to have to start with the basics. He held up a ball and said: "This is a football." McGee immediately called out, "Stop, coach, you're going too fast," and that gave everyone a laugh.
    John Maxymuk, Packers By The Numbers

Surprise signing for first three weeks:

ProFootballTalk ‏@ProFootballTalk 43m43 minutes ago
    49ers cut DT Darnell Dockett http://wp.me/p14QSB-9QfS
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Lions or Bears will be all over this.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Harlan Huckleby View Post
    That's asking a lot, tackles are scare commodities. I wonder if Vujnovich isn't the best option at backup tackle.
    I don't think Vujnovich can hold up against a good bull rush consistently yet which is job 1. He needs another year to get stronger and heavier.

I think Backman and Harris make the team, while Kuhn is cut. But this is a fearful stab.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    I think Backman and Harris make the team, while Kuhn is cut. But this is a fearful stab.
    That's a tough one, and I wouldn't want to call it. Kuhn has held off a few challengers, most recently Quinn Johnson. I'd say there's a good chance he makes it.
    --
    Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...

Quote Originally Posted by vince View Post
    I don't think Vujnovich can hold up against a good bull rush consistently yet which is job 1. He needs another year to get stronger and heavier.
    He didn't get bull-rushed in preseason.

He'll be 25 in a month, he's no rookie. McGinn agrees with you that he needs more strength/bulk. At 25, you're not gonna get a complete makeover. Sure PS is ideal, but an LT prospect may get signed to a roster.

If his feet are excellent, and you don't want to lose the guy, maybe you have to live with his shortcomings. It's not like other options for tackle backup are flawless. Fish or cut bait; if he's a strong LT prospect, he's worth carrying on inactive list. He can play catch with Hundley.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Quote Originally Posted by Harlan Huckleby View Post
    I think they have to keep Vuckovich. Might even take 'em over Barclays. Barclays is very overpriced for his ROI.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    That's what would happen if I was GM. Perish the thought!

I don't think Tolzien will get cut, but I'd shed no tears after watching Hundley.

Backman has flashed better than Perrilo.