Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: former and future packer james jones released by giants

former and future packer james jones released by giants

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...r-james-jones/

i'd feel a lot better with him on our roster

Quote Originally Posted by red View Post
    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...r-james-jones/

i'd feel a lot better with him on our roster
    I would too, but I have a feeling TT won't make the move.

Question - does he have to pass through waivers or is he free to sign anywhere?

I'm torn on this - he's 31 and is obviously not going to get better. How are his legs, is he starting to decline? Who is cut to make room for him? You're giving up a young guy with potential for an aging vet who's at a mid-level ceiling.

I do think he had an ok season with the Raiders last year, I don't understand why they cut him.
    --
    Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...

Quote Originally Posted by pittstang5 View Post
    I would too, but I have a feeling TT won't make the move.

Question - does he have to pass through waivers or is he free to sign anywhere?
    vested vet, I expect he immediately becomes an FA.
    --
    Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...

I'm guessing they pass on Jones. I'd feel different if the young guys hadn't stepped up. I think the Packers reward White for his hard work and improvement.
    "There's a lot of interest in the draft. It's great. But quite frankly, most of the people that are commenting on it don't know anything about what they are talking about."--Ted Thompson

Blog Entries
    Fine to pass
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

I get the feeling White is all that he might ever be, a guy who can get open but offers little to nothing after the catch. Even if Jones has lost some speed, he will offer as much as White before the catch and probably more after the catch just because of his strength and size; plus he will make some awfully difficult catches. I think they can release White, sign Jones; and if it doesn't work out, resign White again. I doubt anyone will be hot after White for their 53 man roster.

Jones isn't that old, just 8 seasons played and a year older than Nelson (31 vs. 30); yet he has more experience than the current Packer wide receiver corp combined.

Janis has upside potential; but I can't see any advantage long term or short term for keeping White over signing Jones.

Unless Jones has some nagging injury that we don't know about, I think he would immediately improve this offense. Which means TT will NOT sign him as it goes against the TT way.

Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    I get the feeling White is all that he might ever be, a guy who can get open but offers little to nothing after the catch. Even if Jones has lost some speed, he will offer as much as White before the catch and probably more after the catch just because of his strength and size; plus he will make some awfully difficult catches. I think they can release White, sign Jones; and if it doesn't work out, resign White again. I doubt anyone will be hot after White for their 53 man roster.

Jones isn't that old, just 8 seasons played and a year older than Nelson (31 vs. 30); yet he has more experience than the current Packer wide receiver corp combined.

Janis has upside potential; but I can't see any advantage long term or short term for keeping White over signing Jones.
    Exactly!

I wonder. If he couldn't stick in Oakland or Philly is he worth resigning? Normally your reserve WRs play ST and Jones doesn't.

I would think Jones' talents aren't as appealing to the Giants because he doesn't generate a ton of separation. Rodgers' incredible accuracy and ability to hit the back shoulder and throw guys open makes Jones more valuable here than there.

Whether we sign him... I'm doubtful unless there's another injury.

I think TT is grooming team for Superbowl run this year. That's why Kuhn & Tolzien may stick, and it is also why Jones is possibility if not probability.

El Jardinero Rat HOFer MadtownPacker's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by smuggler View Post
    I would think Jones' talents aren't as appealing to the Giants because he doesn't generate a ton of separation. Rodgers' incredible accuracy and ability to hit the back shoulder and throw guys open makes Jones more valuable here than there.

Whether we sign him... I'm doubtful unless there's another injury.
    There it is right there. Only as good as the guy throwing him the ball. Eli requires his WRs to make big plays for him. Rodgers sets his WRs up for big plays. JJ was never that fast to begin with and last year with a brand new Carr he showed his hands are the same as always. This move would make a lot of sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Harlan Huckleby View Post
    I think TT is grooming team for Superbowl run this year. That's why Kuhn & Tolzien may stick, and it is also why Jones is possibility if not probability.
    This. It was the reason I though Kuhn over Ripkowski. Although TT kept both which I should have seen coming.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

Jason La Canfora ‏@JasonLaCanfora 35s35 seconds ago
    Lions have released WR Jeremy Ross

Well, Ted will have his pick of former Packer WR. Jones, Boykin and Ross all available.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

The Bottom Line:
    Formally Numb, same person, same views of M3

does dick-rod give up #89?

Senior Rat HOFer Carolina_Packer's Avatar
    80 would be cool, perhaps 82 or 84 as other options. He's a big dude, he needs a number in the 80's. None of this single digit or teens stuff.
    "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." -Daniel Patrick Moynihan

80, 82, 84, 85, 87 available

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    80, 82, 84, 85, 87 available
    87 is Jordy's number and can Abby keep his 84 even tho he is on the PS?