Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Why Harris over Neal at RB?

Why Harris over Neal at RB?

Before he broke his hand, was Harris the front runner? I don't remember.

I really liked what Neal did the last few weeks. Different than Lacy and Starks. I liked the way he looked as a receiver, and he looked like a reasonable option as a kickoff returner.

Did pass protection enter into it to a great degree?

I guess the Packers really want to make sure their running backs can punish the defense instead of visa versa. Notice anything similar among all of our runners? They're all big.

I like the Brandon Jackson/DuJuan Harris/Rajion Neal type back, too, but it seems that GB likes heavy hitters more.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packe...324857791.html

The 6-1, 237-pound Harris fits more the style the Packers lean toward with Lacy and Starks, and the fact he played at a smaller school (Louisiana-Lafayette) means he probably has more room to grow. Harris isn't fast either (4.66), but he has a lot of power in his legs (36-inch vertical jump) and looked like a natural running in the Packers' zone system.

He opened eyes from the day he took Ray Nitschke Field, and when he busted off a 25-yard touchdown run in the exhibition opener against New England he was officially noticed. The coaches had to be impressed that despite breaking a finger in practice the week before he was able to play against New Orleans on Thursday with a club on one hand.

He carried 13 times without a fumble. And while he gained only 41 yards, his strength and forward lean showed through. In three games, he rushed 21 times for 85 yards (4.0) and a touchdown.

It probably doesn't matter because I doubt any of the three guys have a future starting in the NFL, but I agree with Patler that it's a strange move for me. We have to have the slowest set of RBs in the league. Neal would have given the team something different. I even liked Crockett's all around game more than Harris. I don't know what I'm missing, but even Harris TD run against the Pats wasn't all the impressive. An illegal block took out three Patriots and Harris rumbled his way home. The only thing I can think of is that maybe they think Harris would give them something on two point conversion tries. A big back like that might be tough to stop from the one yard line.
    "There's a lot of interest in the draft. It's great. But quite frankly, most of the people that are commenting on it don't know anything about what they are talking about."--Ted Thompson

Packers run zone maybe half the time anymore. Lacy runs a lot of power run plays.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

big powerful guy is what you're gonna want in december and january at lambeau

thats about all i can come up with

the other two honestly impressed me more, like everyone else, but i just saw the games, not the practices. maybe he impressed the coaches behind the scenes more then the others?

The screen game could be huge with this offense. Especially with Nelson gone. Unless Harris actually has good hands, I see this as a minus move.

He can move the pile and will be handy in short yardage, but some speed would be a good complement.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Blog Entries
    What about Jonathan Franklyn ? We could use that skillset. I imagine he's working at a gas station somewhere with Roell Preston
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

Quote Originally Posted by Bretsky View Post
    What about Jonathan Franklyn ? We could use that skillset. I imagine he's working at a gas station somewhere with Roell Preston
    I don't understand the humor in this. Franklin was a RB whose career ended after one year because of a serious neck injury (after a somewhat promising start to his career). Preston was a journeyman WR in the mid-90s who played briefly with the Packers. What am I missing?
    "There's a lot of interest in the draft. It's great. But quite frankly, most of the people that are commenting on it don't know anything about what they are talking about."--Ted Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    The screen game could be huge with this offense. Especially with Nelson gone. Unless Harris actually has good hands, I see this as a minus move.

He can move the pile and will be handy in short yardage, but some speed would be a good complement.
    Scouting reports see Harris' receiving ability as a weakness.

Maybe the Packers see him as someone who can get even bigger and stronger?

http://profootballspot.com/index.htm...o-harris-r6597

Overview:

Everything with Harris is based on what you can do with his frame. There are few prospects like Harris—a guy who could add 10-pounds of muscle and potentially be a 240+ pound RB oddity--an effective NFL power-runner possibly like LeGarrette Blount. Harris could add 15-20 pounds of muscle and just be a bull of a FB with more nimble feet and RB instincts unlike most FBs. Because he is not catching NFL scout attention as pure RB, he may already be bulking up pre-Draft to become a FB prospect. His size and college experience makes him a unique, raw piece of clay to work with for an NFL team.

Quote Originally Posted by HarveyWallbangers View Post
    I don't understand the humor in this. Franklin was a RB whose career ended after one year because of a serious neck injury (after a somewhat promising start to his career). Preston was a journeyman WR in the mid-90s who played briefly with the Packers. What am I missing?
    Someone's lame attempt at trying to be cute/clever?

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Draft pick

Packers don't want anyone quick or dynamic at running back, like a Sproles

I guess every defense looks like an anvil to Stubby, so he wants sledgehammers.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    Draft pick

If it came down to that (M3), then draft status might have convinced T2 that he could get either Neal or Crockett to the PS.

But also remember, Neal had a turnover. Did any of the other running backs?

Michael Cohen ‏@Michael_Cohen13 20m20 minutes ago
    I spent all of Saturday with Alonzo Harris and his family. If you've ever wondered how intense cut day is, please read the story tomorrow.

Michael Cohen ‏@Michael_Cohen13 19m19 minutes ago
    We were holed up in a hotel conference room for 6 hours. He endured a false report that he'd been waived and was literally shaking at times.

The false report was from Wes Hod of the GBPG. He Tweeted that he read a text message wrong. Ouch.

Blog Entries
    I happen to like what Harris brings (good size, good feet and very good power), but I think this says as much about Neal as it does Harris.

I don't think Neal brings anything unique to the table. Not shifty or fast, his best attributes are his hands. That's not a good thing to say about a running back.

Give Harris a year to learn the scheme, become a complete back, and perhaps add another 10 lbs. of good weight as the scouting report projects, and I think he fits real nice as a 1-2 punch with Lacy after Starks exists stage right. With Cobb and Montgomery also able to motion into backfield sets, a receiving-oriented scat-back (who can really run unlike Neal) is secondary.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    Draft pick

Neal is neither quick nor dynamic.

Quote Originally Posted by vince View Post
    Neal is neither quick nor dynamic.
    If he was quick, he would have been drafted. That said, I thought he had a chance to be a Brandon Jackson type: Pick up the blitz and execute screen passes. I guess TT went with the guy who he felt had more upside. No surprise there. My concern is that every scouting report I've read on Harris is that he is a poor receiver. I want Arod to have confidence that his backs can catch the ball. I want him willing to dump the ball off to his backs instead of holding onto the ball and taking hits.

Some aspects of receiving can be improved upon. Nothing is going to change Neal's (lack of) size.

That said, I agree that Neal would probably have been more battle-ready for 2015...

Quote Originally Posted by vince View Post
    I happen to like what Harris brings (good size, good feet and very good power), but I think this says as much about Neal as it does Harris.

I don't think Neal brings anything unique to the table. Not shifty or fast, his best attributes are his hands. That's not a good thing to say about a running back.

Give Harris a year to learn the scheme, become a complete back, and perhaps add another 10 lbs. of good weight as the scouting report projects, and I think he fits real nice as a 1-2 punch with Lacy after Starks exists stage right. With Cobb and Montgomery also able to motion into backfield sets, a receiving-oriented scat-back (who can really run unlike Neal) is secondary.
    Does he have much fat to lose? I'm not sure they want him gaining 10lbs!
    --
    Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...

Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    Before he broke his hand, was Harris the front runner? I don't remember.

I really liked what Neal did the last few weeks. Different than Lacy and Starks. I liked the way he looked as a receiver, and he looked like a reasonable option as a kickoff returner.

Did pass protection enter into it to a great degree?

No, but his dating Edgar Bennett's daughter factored in.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack