Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Nick Perry released.

Quote Originally Posted by Zool View Post
    I've given ole Nick as hard a time as anyone for his previous 3 years, but I'll be damned if he hasn't turned the corner. If he can stay healthy, kid gonna get paid.
    But But this nick perry was most definitely a safety...

I, uh, was calling for the Packers' Nick Perry to be released about two weeks ago. Sigh. I jumped off the bandwagon a bit too soon.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

I hated the Perry pick and that never changed until now. I was wrong. Capers has him playing to his strengths and he's developed a speed rush to go with his power. The way he's played this season, he looks like a 10+ sack guy. Very good pass rusher and run down player.
    Formerly known as JustinHarrell.

lots of kool aid being passed around lately

guess 4-0 will do that

Quote Originally Posted by Upnorth View Post
    But But this nick perry was most definitely a safety...

Quote Originally Posted by red View Post
    lots of kool aid being passed around lately

guess 4-0 will do that
    Do you think Perry is a below average player or just can't stay healthy? To me, he's always been a good run defender who can pass rush a bit. That makes him valuable. I'm not sure hes much different than he's ever been. His bull rush and edge setting have always been top notch.
    "There's a lot of interest in the draft. It's great. But quite frankly, most of the people that are commenting on it don't know anything about what they are talking about."--Ted Thompson

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by HarveyWallbangers View Post
    Do you think Perry is a below average player or just can't stay healthy? To me, he's always been a good run defender who can pass rush a bit. That makes him valuable. I'm not sure hes much different than he's ever been. His bull rush and edge setting have always been top notch.
    He'll get hurt, sure. Anybody that sells out like he does will have the tables turned on him eventually. But man, he helps. They use what he can do very effectively. The guy hammers people, but he's not a coverage guy at all. They just play him in his corridor in the right situations and he's fine.

I don't think they'll be able to keep him. if he keeps going, he'll get Erik Walden money and some team will try and make him a 3 down OLB.

That, he can't do.

I still think a team might sign him as a 4-3 DE. Or a team that plays a hybrid scheme--like Atlanta.
    "There's a lot of interest in the draft. It's great. But quite frankly, most of the people that are commenting on it don't know anything about what they are talking about."--Ted Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by HarveyWallbangers View Post
    i think he's a very injury prone player who is average at best when healthy

Like KY said, just don't axe him to cover anybody. He can do two of the three jobs a linebacker can do: play the run and rush the passer (well, some).

But he's an important cog this year.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    But he's an important cog this year.

I'd say more Sprocket.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

And besides Peppers, there's no one better on the team than Perry at strip-sacks. In fact, I'd be surprised if his caused fumble : sack ratio isn't the best on the team. Now sure, he hasn't stayed healthy enough to make his numbers anything more than a small sample.

Quote Originally Posted by JustinHarrell View Post
    I hated the Perry pick and that never changed until now. I was wrong. Capers has him playing to his strengths and he's developed a speed rush to go with his power. The way he's played this season, he looks like a 10+ sack guy. Very good pass rusher and run down player.
    This might be the first year he is relatively healthy too. I don't think it is a coincidence the defense is better with him playing better.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post

I'd say more Sprocket.
    did you say sprocket?

Blog Entries
    Yeah if he stays healthy this year, he's gonna get paid by someone - not likely the Packers though I don't think.

If there were someone out their tracking a disruptivity factor per snap stat - adjusted for injury - for the 130 or so 3-4 OLB and 4-3 DE's in the league, I think Perry would fit into a tier that reaches well into the top half of the league and ends before you get to the "average" group.

Bill Polian said that to win in this salary cap era you need a franchise QB who's going to make about 15% of your cap by himself. Then about a dozen or so vets who will make up the core of your team will consume about 50%. Then the other 50 guys plus dead money (though 10 are on the PS but they now count against the cap too) get the remaining 35% which means they need to be on vet min and/or rookie deals.

Perry's right on the border in terms of being worthy of fitting into that core vet group in my opinion. If you're going to have to pay him full value when healthy, that's a gamble Ted might not be able to afford to take.

2016 Cap Hits on the books
    Rodgers $19.25

Core Group - $80 mil
    Matthews $13.75
    Peppers $10.5
    Shields $12.125
    Sitton $6.6
    Lang $6.2
    Cobb $9.15
    Burnett $6.05
    Nelson $8.8
    Bulaga $5.6

Potential Value Players - $13 mil
    D. Jones $2.5
    Dix $2.3
    Randall $1.8
    Masthay (or his replacement) $1.5
    Lacy $1.1
    Adams $1.1
    Bakh, DickRod, Rollins, Hyde, Palmer $.8 each

That's at least $125 mil with dead cap, PS and contingency fund.

Then you have
    Daniels - pay the man. Core guy and has the work ethic to get better. Low bust potential and the right age. $5 mil with backload (Teddy don't like backloading but he's been doing it and he's going to have to do it again here)
    Raji - $5 mil. I'm signing him over Perry if possible. Both have bust potential when they get paid but at the same price I think Raji's more valuable.
    Guion - $4 mil.
    Crosby - $2 mil.
    J.Jones - $2 mil is a bargain the way he's playing. MAYBE there's room with Nelson, Cobb, Adams, Janis, Abby already in-house.

That's $145 mil. on 26 guys. Cut Peppers and Masthay and that drops it down to $134 on 24 guys likely on the books.

$26 mil left for the other 29 guys. That's assuming the following are NOT re-signed.
    Neal
    Perry
    Hayward
    Starks
    Quarless
    Barclay
    Goode
    Kuhn

Plus in 2017 it gets even more challenging with Sitton, Lang, Bakh, Tretter, and Lacy to sign (or their replacements) and not enough money to do it with after another $12 mil in additional built-in backloaded cap hits from Rodgers, Matthews, Cobb, Nelson, Bulaga, Burnett deals.

Plus in 2017 Elliott, Pennel, Barrington, Boyd, and Thomas - though these guys will all be available on the cheap.

No Peppers, Neal or Perry leaves them mighty thin at OLB but the cap's getting tighter and tighter. There are gonna be some guys who will sign elsewhere for more than Ted's going to be able to afford in the next couple years.

Draft well Ted - and hopefully you're doing it right at the bottom of each round.
    Last edited by vince; 10-11-2015 at 01:33 AM.

Packers could benefit from GMs not knowing what Perry looks like.

He does have 8 tackles, 2 assts, 1 FF and 3 sacks. If he keeps it up, its going to be hard for him not to land a good deal. As odd as this seems to say, he might be headed for that weird place where he is took expensive as a backup to keep but not healthy enough (or good enough when dinged up) to start.

He's Matt Flynn.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

surprise surprise

he's hurt again