Thread: The ones GB let get away

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rastak View Post
    Well, reserving judgement on that but so far I like what I see.
    Quote Originally Posted by sharpe1027 View Post
    As we have seen time after time, QBs do not follow a linear progression. Ted may be trending up, be he can still go in either direction from here. I think Ras is wise to be cautiously optimistic.
    Ras has the wisdom of experience. In the last 15 years, Culpepper, Jackson and Ponder each seemed to have long range potential at one time or another, yet not one ever provided the long term stability needed at the position. But that isn't uncommon. The list of QBs who for 2, 3 or 4 years looked like they could get there, but never did, is very very long.

Oracle Rat HOFer Cheesehead Craig's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    Ras has the wisdom of experience. In the last 15 years, Culpepper, Jackson and Ponder each seemed to have long range potential at one time or another, yet not one ever provided the long term stability needed at the position. But that isn't uncommon. The list of QBs who for 2, 3 or 4 years looked like they could get there, but never did, is very very long.
    When did T-Jack or Ponder ever have long range potential? I must have missed that reality.
    All hail the Ruler of the Meadow!

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesehead Craig View Post
    When did T-Jack or Ponder ever have long range potential? I must have missed that reality.
    They each had their moments. They got positive press when they played conservatively and managed games well. There were times when each looked like they had potential to develop into not great but at least competent starters. There were times when some thought each could be around a while. Bridgewater is about where each Jackson and Ponder was at one time or another.

They each had their moments. They got positive press when they played conservatively and managed games well. There were times when each looked like they had potential to develop into not great but at least competent starters. There were times when some thought each could be around a while. Bridgewater is about where each Jackson and Ponder was at one time or another.
    Once those guys had a few starts it was kind of clear Viking fans were left to just hope those two develop, no real film, just hope. Here, I feel pretty confident the guy is at least competent. He set a number of Viking rookie records and was about a top 3 QB to finish the year last year (meaning his last 7 games). Now again, I don't want to crown his ass to quote Denny Green but he's coming along just fine.

Did Ponder play that well ever? He had a decent season the year AP ran for 2000+, but I don't recall him ever being more than competent, and of course, often not even that.
    --
    Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...

Quote Originally Posted by Guiness View Post
    Did Ponder play that well ever? He had a decent season the year AP ran for 2000+, but I don't recall him ever being more than competent, and of course, often not even that.
    Not for a whole season, no. But he beat the Packers the last game of 2012, with 3 TD passes and had generally played well-enough the end of that season for the Vikings to win a bunch of games and grab a playoff spot. Sure, Peterson was the key, but Ponder gave them a steady, not stellar, passing game, even if it was basically just to the TEs. I know an awful lot of Packer fans were encouraged when Ponder wasn't available the next week in the playoff game against the Packers.