Thread: The ones GB let get away

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Senior Rat HOFer Maxie the Taxi's Avatar
    Greg Jennings was never a JAG, even when he was in Minnesota. Check out his stats. 68 and 59 receptions for 804 and 742 yards with who passing to him, Ponder? Jennings was a star receiver in college with a nobody throwing him passes.

Same with Jones. 73 catches for 666 yards with Oakland.

Jordy would be a star receiver on almost any team and Cobb is probably the best slot receiver in the NFL.

All of these guys are great receivers in the clutch as well. They are all in the top tier of NFL talent. We shouldn't sell them short.

Plus, they all are great route runners, are fast and have great hands, tailor made for Green Bay's offense. Besides Arod's talent, that's why they excell here.
    One time Lombardi was disgusted with the team in practice and told them they were going to have to start with the basics. He held up a ball and said: "This is a football." McGee immediately called out, "Stop, coach, you're going too fast," and that gave everyone a laugh.
    John Maxymuk, Packers By The Numbers

Quote Originally Posted by Maxie the Taxi View Post
    Greg Jennings was never a JAG, even when he was in Minnesota. Check out his stats. 68 and 59 receptions for 804 and 742 yards with who passing to him, Ponder? Jennings was a star receiver in college with a nobody throwing him passes.

Jordy would be a star receiver on almost any team and Cobb is probably the best slot receiver in the NFL.

All of these guys are great receivers in the clutch as well. They are all in the top tier of NFL talent. We shouldn't sell them short.

Plus, they all are great route runners, are fast and have great hands, tailor made for Green Bay's offense. Besides Arod's talent, that's why they excell here.

I agree Maxi. I think it's a lesson that Thompson learned from Wolf in that he always tries to keep the talent pool at WR full for A.R.. It's a funny game. One minute we looked overstocked at W.R., (Let J.J. go last year and drafted Monty early this year which was a head scratcher for some fans.) and the next minute we're picking J.J. back up off of the streets and that third round rookie is being counted on to play a big and eventually bigger role in the success of our offense as the year progresses.

Picking up J.J. the way we did still just dumbfounds me. I guess sometimes things really do happen for a reason. That guy continues to be money. He produces each week in some big way and I'm sure his professionalism and the way he goes about his business has to be a positive influence on the young receivers. J.J. had drops early in his career and he's had some adversity but he's also had success so I'm guessing he's probably good at getting these young guys back on task after they fail or make a mistake.

Yes, Jordy is a top 10 WR in the league and Cobb is a great slot WR but slots need a #1 WR on the other side to really thrive.

Senior Rat HOFer Maxie the Taxi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pugger View Post
    Yes, Jordy is a top 10 WR in the league and Cobb is a great slot WR but slots need a #1 WR on the other side to really thrive.
    Exactly. And a great slot WR's talents do not necessarily translate to becoming a #1 WR. It's the major miscalculation IMO that the Packer brass made when Jordy went down. At the time I made the post I probably overestimated Cobb's speed, maybe Jones' too. Seeing them in man defense every week they don't outrun defenders very often anymore. Of course, I wasn't talking about Adams, but he rarely outruns defenders as well. Hence, the problems with our passing game, the second half of this year compared to last.
    One time Lombardi was disgusted with the team in practice and told them they were going to have to start with the basics. He held up a ball and said: "This is a football." McGee immediately called out, "Stop, coach, you're going too fast," and that gave everyone a laugh.
    John Maxymuk, Packers By The Numbers

At the time I made the post I probably overestimated Cobb's speed, maybe Jones' too. Seeing them in man defense every week they don't outrun defenders very often anymore.
    Separation? Jonesy don't need no stinkin separation.