Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: The ones GB let get away

The ones GB let get away

After 3 games:

Charles Johnson - 3 starts, 6 receptions, 46 yards, 0 TDs
    Greg Jennings - 3 starts, 4 receptions, 39 yards, 0 TDs

In Ted We Trust.

And ARod makes those around him better. Much better.

James Jones is a happy, happy man.

After four games:

Charles Johnson - 3 starts, 6 receptions, 46 yards, 0 TDs (Inactive this week due to injury.)
    Greg Jennings - 4 starts, 7 receptions, 54 yards, 0 TDs

yup, its all about a-rod

thats why i'm not so sure it was a good idea to give jordy and cobb huge money

Quote Originally Posted by red View Post
    yup, its all about a-rod

I would hate to see this offense without Cobb right now.

yup, its all about a-rod

Jordy and Cobb imo were important to sign. But I would have much rather seen them get some decent offensive tackles than give Clay all the money they did.

Nope. Clay is more vital than either Nelson or Cobb. But, I'm goin to take all three and smile.

yup, its all about a-rod

You need capable receivers who know the system...kids like Adams and Montgomery aren't there yet.
    It's such a GOOD feeling...13 TIME WORLD CHAMPIONS!!

Green & Gold Shades Rat HOFer channtheman's Avatar
    yup, its all about a-rod

It's all A-rod to an extent. I don't see the point I guess in drafting guys who develop into great players if you then don't sign any of them back.

GJ was done with 2 contracts before he went to MIN. Signing aging WRs who are also smaller isn't a good investment, although I like GJ and think he still could have produced. The Favre era proved to me that an elite QB can turn average WRs into above average WRs. If you go back and see some of the receivers that have passed through, there are some very good ones, and a lot of mediocre ones. The constant is the high level of QB play,

As for Clay's contract, I think it's a lot of money but he's the most feared guy in the front seven for opposing teams. Pretty early to talk draft but I wouldn't be shocked to see TT go for another front seven player early on defense and an OT to play the left side. And yes, you want to sign your good, developing players when their rookie contracts are up. Cobb is young and has played couragously with Jordy out.

Hands-to-the-face Rat HOFer 3irty1's Avatar
    The way I see it its not that an elite QB can turn jags into stars but rather having an elite QB gives you the access to make the most out of the moneyball class of receivers. Guys who do all the small things well but don't have the elite measurables of a Calvin Johnson or Julio Jones. You don't need to be a huge target with tons of separation speed if your QB can hit a smaller target in stride on any route.
    70% of the Earth is covered by water. The rest is covered by Al Harris.

are jordy and cobb really top tier Wrs that deserve top end money, or are the like jennings and to a lesser extent jones who were top tier wr's when they were here (jennings) but when they left became JAGS?

i think if both were to go to other teams they would both fall off the map and end up as sub 1000 yard guys

especially cobb, because he is not a #1 WR

its nice to have the two (of course we don't have jordy right now and the offence is still clicking) but i can't help to think that some of the money wouldn't have been better spent on a tackle or two to keep our franchise QB from getting destroyed

[QUOTE=run pMc;849921]GJ was done with 2 contracts before he went to MIN. Signing aging WRs who are also smaller isn't a good investment, although I like GJ and think he still could have produced. The Favre era proved to me that an elite QB can turn average WRs into above average WRs. If you go back and see some of the receivers that have passed through, there are some very good ones, and a lot of mediocre ones. The constant is the high level of QB play,

I agree that the Q.B. makes the receiver most of the time but sometimes a receiver like Megatron can make a Q.B. look a lot better with his YAC big plays and amazing catches. Look at how many crap passes Stafford has thrown that would have been picks or incompletions with an average or below average receiver. (Granted I realize Johnson is elite.) Moss was the same way for Culpepper. Just chuck the football up and let the big boys go get it. I remember reading one time where Ron Wolf said his biggest mistake was not consistently providing enough, "weapons" or good receivers for Favre.

Good coaches also recognize play to their players strengths.

Senior Rat HOFer Maxie the Taxi's Avatar
    Greg Jennings was never a JAG, even when he was in Minnesota. Check out his stats. 68 and 59 receptions for 804 and 742 yards with who passing to him, Ponder? Jennings was a star receiver in college with a nobody throwing him passes.

Same with Jones. 73 catches for 666 yards with Oakland.

Jordy would be a star receiver on almost any team and Cobb is probably the best slot receiver in the NFL.

All of these guys are great receivers in the clutch as well. They are all in the top tier of NFL talent. We shouldn't sell them short.

Plus, they all are great route runners, are fast and have great hands, tailor made for Green Bay's offense. Besides Arod's talent, that's why they excell here.
    One time Lombardi was disgusted with the team in practice and told them they were going to have to start with the basics. He held up a ball and said: "This is a football." McGee immediately called out, "Stop, coach, you're going too fast," and that gave everyone a laugh.
    John Maxymuk, Packers By The Numbers

Quote Originally Posted by Maxie the Taxi View Post
    Greg Jennings was never a JAG, even when he was in Minnesota. Check out his stats. 68 and 59 receptions for 804 and 742 yards with who passing to him, Ponder? Jennings was a star receiver in college with a nobody throwing him passes.

Same with Jones. 73 catches for 666 yards with Oakland.

Jordy would be a star receiver on almost any team and Cobb is probably the best slot receiver in the NFL.

All of these guys are great receivers in the clutch as well. They are all in the top tier of NFL talent. We shouldn't sell them short.

Plus, they all are great route runners, are fast and have great hands, tailor made for Green Bay's offense. Besides Arod's talent, that's why they excell here.

I agree Maxi. I think it's a lesson that Thompson learned from Wolf in that he always tries to keep the talent pool at WR full for A.R.. It's a funny game. One minute we looked overstocked at W.R., (Let J.J. go last year and drafted Monty early this year which was a head scratcher for some fans.) and the next minute we're picking J.J. back up off of the streets and that third round rookie is being counted on to play a big and eventually bigger role in the success of our offense as the year progresses.

Picking up J.J. the way we did still just dumbfounds me. I guess sometimes things really do happen for a reason. That guy continues to be money. He produces each week in some big way and I'm sure his professionalism and the way he goes about his business has to be a positive influence on the young receivers. J.J. had drops early in his career and he's had some adversity but he's also had success so I'm guessing he's probably good at getting these young guys back on task after they fail or make a mistake.

its nice to have the two (of course we don't have jordy right now and the offence is still clicking) but i can't help to think that some of the money wouldn't have been better spent on a tackle or two to keep our franchise QB from getting destroyed
    OT is one of the most overpaid positions in football. While tackles do have considerable importance...I do not see where their importance is 30-40% greater than interior lineman, which is what salary levels suggest. I would certainly agree there is a SLIGHT edge in importance, but 30-40% is significantly larger than that.

When QBs took more snaps from under center, tackles were more important to hold the edge while QBs dropped back into passing position. However, today's NFL sees QBs throwing from the shotgun about 6 times more than they did even a decade ago. That means the tackles are LESS important in pass protection than they used to be. I think Green Bay is wiser to not spend top dollar on OTs and load up on athletic weapons on offense and defense.
    It's such a GOOD feeling...13 TIME WORLD CHAMPIONS!!

After 6 weeks and 5 games:

Charles Johnson - 3 games, 3 starts, 6 receptions, 46 yards, 0 TDs (Inactive again.)
    Greg Jennings - 5 games, 4 starts, 8 receptions, 67 yards, 0 TDs (not listed as a starter this week.)

Minny is letting Charles heal up from a rib injury and getting good production from their rookie (Stefon Diggs).
    I agree Jennings was never a JAG, but he's on the wrong side of 30 and at this point not a #1 or #2 WR.

Quote Originally Posted by run pMc View Post
    Minny is letting Charles heal up from a rib injury and getting good production from their rookie (Stefon Diggs).
    I agree Jennings was never a JAG, but he's on the wrong side of 30 and at this point not a #1 or #2 WR.
    It seemed from articles three weeks ago, that Johnson's injury was sustained in practice. Must have been significant, because he was inactive for their games before and after their bye.