Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: The ones GB let get away

The way the Vikes are talking up Diggs, he'll be on the All-Pro team.

My guess is Johnson has cracked ribs and can't extend to catch the ball or run much. I'd guess he'll be back this week or next. Pretty wild how far Corderelle Patterson has fallen - he pretty much is a KR and that's it.

Johnson hurt his ribs during the week 3 game vs San Diego. He should return this week, but Diggs looks like a real find for the Vikings, and with Wallace set on the outside and Wright set in the slot, Johnson may not get a lot of PT going forward. The Vikings have good weapons on offense, but Bridgewater hasn't looked very good. He's smart, has good mobility, but he lacks arm strength. His guys tend to get pretty open though.
    "There's a lot of interest in the draft. It's great. But quite frankly, most of the people that are commenting on it don't know anything about what they are talking about."--Ted Thompson

It'll be interesting to see if ol' Chuck Johnson can get by those mediocre Detroit cornerbacks.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Quote Originally Posted by run pMc View Post
    The way the Vikes are talking up Diggs, he'll be on the All-Pro team.

My guess is Johnson has cracked ribs and can't extend to catch the ball or run much. I'd guess he'll be back this week or next. Pretty wild how far Corderelle Patterson has fallen - he pretty much is a KR and that's it.
    He might lose that too. Diggs does indeed look good, and he's fast.

Seems like he really gets it. Charles Johnson is a hard worker but for the first time in a long long time the Vikings WR corps is getting really deep in my opinion. Be interesting to see how many snaps Johnson gets.

I also agree with Harv about Bridgewater....not great arm strength but a really smart guy. Hasn't played all that well but we'll see how he progresses.

Quote Originally Posted by Rastak View Post
    He might lose that too. Diggs does indeed look good, and he's fast.

Seems like he really gets it. Charles Johnson is a hard worker but for the first time in a long long time the Vikings WR corps is getting really deep in my opinion. Be interesting to see how many snaps Johnson gets.

I also agree with Harv about Bridgewater....not great arm strength but a really smart guy. Hasn't played all that well but we'll see how he progresses.
    Well, Ras, you can confidently say that he's got a better arm than Peyton Manning and makes better decisions than Jay Cutler. That sounds pretty good, doesn't it?

I think he's already a better QB than Pad Statford, too.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    Well, Ras, you can confidently say that he's got a better arm than Peyton Manning and makes better decisions than Jay Cutler. That sounds pretty good, doesn't it?

I think he's already a better QB than Pad Statford, too.

Well, reserving judgement on that but so far I like what I see.

From watching Stafford, I see a guy who has topped out, and has even regressed a bit due in part to a porous offensive line. He takes off from the pocket early now, and despite the press slathering all over his performance against the Bears, I saw a guy who was unsure of himself at times, and whose best two plays came when he simply heaved the ball downfield and hoped Megatron would come down with it.

I'd rather have Teddy, myself, if I had to choose between him and Stafford and Cutler.

KYPack

From watching Stafford, I see a guy who has topped out, and has even regressed a bit due in part to a porous offensive line. He takes off from the pocket early now, and despite the press slathering all over his performance against the Bears, I saw a guy who was unsure of himself at times, and whose best two plays came when he simply heaved the ball downfield and hoped Megatron would come down with it.

I'd rather have Teddy, myself, if I had to choose between him and Stafford and Cutler.
    As we have seen time after time, QBs do not follow a linear progression. Ted may be trending up, be he can still go in either direction from here. I think Ras is wise to be cautiously optimistic.

There have been writeups that the passing game of the Lions is designed terribly compared to previous years. They are very limited in what they do. There is disagreement over whether this is coach mandated to be in adherence with the scheme or if they are covering for deficiencies of the talent. Mostly the result is that they have neutered the best weapon they have, Megatron.

Perhaps they miss Scott LINEHAN!, who is in Dallas missing Tony Romo and probably Stafford.
    Last edited by pbmax; 10-23-2015 at 02:40 PM.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by Rastak View Post
    Well, reserving judgement on that but so far I like what I see.
    Quote Originally Posted by sharpe1027 View Post
    As we have seen time after time, QBs do not follow a linear progression. Ted may be trending up, be he can still go in either direction from here. I think Ras is wise to be cautiously optimistic.
    Ras has the wisdom of experience. In the last 15 years, Culpepper, Jackson and Ponder each seemed to have long range potential at one time or another, yet not one ever provided the long term stability needed at the position. But that isn't uncommon. The list of QBs who for 2, 3 or 4 years looked like they could get there, but never did, is very very long.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Perhaps they miss Scott Lineman, who is in Dallas missing Tony Romo and probably Stafford.
    autocorrect strikes again!
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Oracle Rat HOFer Cheesehead Craig's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    Ras has the wisdom of experience. In the last 15 years, Culpepper, Jackson and Ponder each seemed to have long range potential at one time or another, yet not one ever provided the long term stability needed at the position. But that isn't uncommon. The list of QBs who for 2, 3 or 4 years looked like they could get there, but never did, is very very long.
    When did T-Jack or Ponder ever have long range potential? I must have missed that reality.
    All hail the Ruler of the Meadow!

Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    autocorrect strikes again!
    Going to switch to linux any day now.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

CutlerquitRat HOFer
    Bridgewater is not a good QB.
    Swede: My expertise in this area is extensive. The essential difference between a "battleship" and an "aircraft carrier" is that an aircraft carrier requires five direct hits to sink, but it takes only four direct hits to sink a battleship.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    There have been writeups that the passing game of the Lions is designed terribly compared to previous years. They are very limited in what they do. There is disagreement over whether this is coach mandated to be in adherence with the scheme or if they are covering for deficiencies of the talent. Mostly the result is that they have neutered the best weapon they have, Megatron.

Perhaps they miss Scott LINEHAN!, who is in Dallas missing Tony Romo and probably Stafford.

I've read all that too, and it's funny. The narrative coming into the season was that this was the first time Stafford had the same offensive coordinator two years running, that he was kept a little on a leash last year as he learned the nuances of the offense, but this year they were taking the leash off. Said he looked very comfortable and was making great decisions with the ball in preseason.

KYPack

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesehead Craig View Post
    When did T-Jack or Ponder ever have long range potential? I must have missed that reality.
    They each had their moments. They got positive press when they played conservatively and managed games well. There were times when each looked like they had potential to develop into not great but at least competent starters. There were times when some thought each could be around a while. Bridgewater is about where each Jackson and Ponder was at one time or another.

They each had their moments. They got positive press when they played conservatively and managed games well. There were times when each looked like they had potential to develop into not great but at least competent starters. There were times when some thought each could be around a while. Bridgewater is about where each Jackson and Ponder was at one time or another.
    Once those guys had a few starts it was kind of clear Viking fans were left to just hope those two develop, no real film, just hope. Here, I feel pretty confident the guy is at least competent. He set a number of Viking rookie records and was about a top 3 QB to finish the year last year (meaning his last 7 games). Now again, I don't want to crown his ass to quote Denny Green but he's coming along just fine.

Bridgewater will need maybe one more year. His ceiling is Drew Brees, which is not bad. No clue if he will pan out. But, the alternative at the time was Manziel, so you have that going for you... supid Browns...

Did Ponder play that well ever? He had a decent season the year AP ran for 2000+, but I don't recall him ever being more than competent, and of course, often not even that.
    --
    Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...

Quote Originally Posted by smuggler View Post
    Bridgewater will need maybe one more year. His ceiling is Drew Brees, which is not bad.
    Not bad!? Drew Brees had elite career.

I'd say Bridgewater's ceiling is closer to Matt Stafford. And I predict his career will be closer to Seneca Wallace than Drew Breeze.