Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: The ones GB let get away

It was meant to be tongue-in-cheek. If you look at Brees in his first few seasons (with SD) you can see why my comparison is valid. I'd say that's a fair estimate of Teddy's ceiling. Not that he's certain to reach it, by any means.

"Rodgers' ceiling is Steve Young 2.0" which is not bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Guiness View Post
    Did Ponder play that well ever? He had a decent season the year AP ran for 2000+, but I don't recall him ever being more than competent, and of course, often not even that.
    Not for a whole season, no. But he beat the Packers the last game of 2012, with 3 TD passes and had generally played well-enough the end of that season for the Vikings to win a bunch of games and grab a playoff spot. Sure, Peterson was the key, but Ponder gave them a steady, not stellar, passing game, even if it was basically just to the TEs. I know an awful lot of Packer fans were encouraged when Ponder wasn't available the next week in the playoff game against the Packers.

I think Bridgewater's ceiling is closer to Donovan McNabb or Matt Ryan than Drew Brees, but maybe I'm overvaluing Brees' play from his heyday, which was elite IMO. Bridgewater seems to float the ball sometimes, has had accuracy issues with long throws and (understadably) still makes dumb rookie decisions at times.

Ponder had his share of good games, and he had games where you were shaking your head. Not sure if he just needed more time/coaching, or if he was destined to be a clipboard holder.

Never understood the Manziel love, but Cleveland hasn't exactly been great at picking QB's (Couch, Weeden, etc.). Weeden was the worst pick -- 28 year olds aren't going to develop much.

As for ones GB let get away, how's Myles White doing? Is Paris Lenon still in the league?

Quote Originally Posted by run pMc View Post
    As for ones GB let get away, how's Myles White doing? Is Paris Lenon still in the league?
    Paris Lenon had an interesting career. At 37, he is now retired, after playing 189 NFL games, 125 after leaving GB and 112 of those as a starter. He last played in 2013 for Denver, starting all playoff games, including the Super Bowl. Very nice 12 year career. Nothing impressive about his career, except that he always found work as a starter.

Quote Originally Posted by run pMc View Post
    The way the Vikes are talking up Diggs, he'll be on the All-Pro team.

My guess is Johnson has cracked ribs and can't extend to catch the ball or run much. I'd guess he'll be back this week or next. Pretty wild how far Corderelle Patterson has fallen - he pretty much is a KR and that's it.

That dude is playing like it, holy shit.

After 7 weeks and 6 games:

Charles Johnson - 4 games, 3 starts, 7 receptions, 67 yards, 0 TDs (Active, did not start.)
    Greg Jennings - 6 games, 4 starts, 10 receptions, 104 yards, 0 TDs (Did not start)

Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    After 7 weeks and 6 games:

Charles Johnson - 4 games, 3 starts, 7 receptions, 67 yards, 0 TDs (Active, did not start.)
    Greg Jennings - 6 games, 4 starts, 10 receptions, 104 yards, 0 TDs (Did not start)

Charles didn't start today.

Rookie Stephon Diggs - 3 games, 2 starts, 19 receptions, 324 yards, 1 TD

Blog Entries
    Myles White had a huge game on ST for the Giants.

Quote Originally Posted by KYPack View Post
    Myles White had a huge game on ST for the Giants.
    In what way? I didn't see the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    In what way? I didn't see the game.
    Fumbled punt recovery is what I saw. Good hands fielded a bouncing ball cleanly.
    --
    Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...

just to close out the final stats:

Charles Johnson - 11 games, 4 starts, 9 receptions, 127 yards, 0 TDs
    Greg Jennings - 16 games, 5 starts, 19 receptions, 208 yards, 1 TD

What happened with Charles Johnson? Was he injured or was he just not all that? Did the attitude problems that were rumored cause a problem?
    --
    Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...

Quote Originally Posted by Maxie the Taxi View Post
    Greg Jennings was never a JAG, even when he was in Minnesota. Check out his stats. 68 and 59 receptions for 804 and 742 yards with who passing to him, Ponder? Jennings was a star receiver in college with a nobody throwing him passes.

Same with Jones. 73 catches for 666 yards with Oakland.

Jordy would be a star receiver on almost any team and Cobb is probably the best slot receiver in the NFL.

All of these guys are great receivers in the clutch as well. They are all in the top tier of NFL talent. We shouldn't sell them short.

Plus, they all are great route runners, are fast and have great hands, tailor made for Green Bay's offense. Besides Arod's talent, that's why they excell here.
    Yes, Jordy is a top 10 WR in the league and Cobb is a great slot WR but slots need a #1 WR on the other side to really thrive.

Senior Rat HOFer Maxie the Taxi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pugger View Post
    Yes, Jordy is a top 10 WR in the league and Cobb is a great slot WR but slots need a #1 WR on the other side to really thrive.
    Exactly. And a great slot WR's talents do not necessarily translate to becoming a #1 WR. It's the major miscalculation IMO that the Packer brass made when Jordy went down. At the time I made the post I probably overestimated Cobb's speed, maybe Jones' too. Seeing them in man defense every week they don't outrun defenders very often anymore. Of course, I wasn't talking about Adams, but he rarely outruns defenders as well. Hence, the problems with our passing game, the second half of this year compared to last.
    One time Lombardi was disgusted with the team in practice and told them they were going to have to start with the basics. He held up a ball and said: "This is a football." McGee immediately called out, "Stop, coach, you're going too fast," and that gave everyone a laugh.
    John Maxymuk, Packers By The Numbers

Quote Originally Posted by Maxie the Taxi View Post
    At the time I made the post I probably overestimated Cobb's speed, maybe Jones' too. Seeing them in man defense every week they don't outrun defenders very often anymore.
    Separation? Jonesy don't need no stinkin separation.

Quote Originally Posted by channtheman View Post
    It's all A-rod to an extent. I don't see the point I guess in drafting guys who develop into great players if you then don't sign any of them back.
    and there isn't much pie remaining.

Draft and develop? Does that really work now in the NFL overall?

Does that in TRUTH and Theory work in Green Bay?

Unless basically every NFL Organization has the Packers and Ravens and Saints blueprint to structure a winning team; that's heavy loaded with a large percentage of CAP Money going to the QB.

If your successful in developing a draft pick into a decent player. Doesn't he want to be paid TOP DOLLAR!?
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

If you have a QB who is at least decent or better, you want to hang onto them...unless you have someone better waiting in the wings.
    Drafting/developing/keeping a player is dependent upon the position, the depth, and the amount of money. No way was GB keeping Davon House for what he got paid.

Johnson did get hurt earlier this year but was also surpassed. His production might have been down regardless of health with their new guy.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.