Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Jared Allen to Panthers

Jared Allen to Panthers

Is this officially the earliest a team has given up on the season? Do they draft Cook or Goff?
    --
    Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Quote Originally Posted by Guiness View Post
    Is this officially the earliest a team has given up on the season? Do they draft Cook or Goff?
    I don't understand why the Panthers are giving up
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    I assume that's tongue in cheek, but regardless

Allen's base salary is reportedly $1m this year, so if he doesn't work out the Panthers can cut him with no real repercussions. He may not have been playing well (I don't know) but Chicago switched to a 3-4 this year and tried to move him to OLB. He'll be back at DE, replacing Charles Johnson with the Panthers. He had 11.5 sacks a couple of years ago. Pretty high reward potential/low risk for them IMO.

Chicago tossed quite a lot of money at this guy...
    --
    Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    Funny.

I almost feel sorry for Foxy.

At those pressers, he looks like a guy who's late for work and can't find his keys.

I admire both teams for making a bold move that helps both teams. Allen is a misfit in Chicago D, they need draft pick more. PErfect for panthers

Quote Originally Posted by Guiness View Post
    Chicago tossed quite a lot of money at this guy...
    Sure, but water over dam. They made best of situation.

Well they only got a sixth round pick for him, so the Bears that shouldn't help the Bears in the future.

Nor will it help with Fox's stated goal of scoring more than 0 points.
    Fire Murphy, Gute, MLF, Barry, Senavich, etc!

yeah, that 6th rounder doesn't help them much

i'm guessing allen wanted off the sinking ship, and the bears were happy to get anything in return

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 2h2 hours ago
    Spoke with Ken Harris, Jared Allen’s agent. Trade began with Allen sitting with #Bears GM Ryan Pace & discussing mutually beneficial option

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 2h2 hours ago
    Allen knew he wasn’t a fit for the 3-4. #Bears knew it, too. Pace & Allen agreed another place was better. Allen came up with a 4-3 list
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

I'm surprised anyone anted up a 6th. He looked pretty pedestrian last year, granted he had some injury issues, but tbh his healthiest days are most likely behind him anyway...

Quote Originally Posted by MadScientist View Post
    Well they only got a sixth round pick for him, so the Bears that shouldn't help the Bears in the future.
    A 6th rounder counts for something. Undrafted players sometimes contribute. Getting a 6th for him (and we don't know what conditional pick they'll get) was smart.

Blog Entries
    Lets let these fellows run out the clock for us.

Bears sent Jon Bostic to the Patriots.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Is this the earliest a team has ever thrown in the towel? I wish I still lived in the Chicagoland area and could rub in how much the Bears suck.
    Go PACK

Quote Originally Posted by Bossman641 View Post
    Is this the earliest a team has ever thrown in the towel? I wish I still lived in the Chicagoland area and could rub in how much the Bears suck.
    Well, suck for Luck was already running in the offseason prior to his last college year. But its earlier than usual.

Mostly though, I think the Bears realize they need to rebuild their defense to run Fangio's stuff. Its quite a level of trust the GM has in the coaches to do this mid year. Seems odd they didn't consider it in the offseason.

CutlerquitRat HOFer
    Wonder where Cutler will go?
    Swede: My expertise in this area is extensive. The essential difference between a "battleship" and an "aircraft carrier" is that an aircraft carrier requires five direct hits to sink, but it takes only four direct hits to sink a battleship.

Oracle Rat HOFer Cheesehead Craig's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Oday View Post
    Wonder where Cutler will go?
    Too much of a cap hit. He's not going anywhere for a while. At best he would be released prior to the 2017 season when it's only a 2M cap hit I believe. His extension was real heavy on the front end.
    All hail the Ruler of the Meadow!

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesehead Craig View Post
    Too much of a cap hit. He's not going anywhere for a while. At best he would be released prior to the 2017 season when it's only a 2M cap hit I believe. His extension was real heavy on the front end.
    Actually, I think the Bears could save a little bit by releasing him prior to March 17. His 2016 cap hit is due to be 17 million (16M base, and 1M restructure bonus.) If they release him prior to March 17, the cap hit is 10M base and 3M restructure bonus. If they keep him past March 17, then his entire base of 16M in 2016 is guaranteed. http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/chicago-bears/jay-cutler/

They would really need to Fail for Cardale, because Jimmy Clausen looked like an ant trying to move a locomotive while on the field.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    They would really need to Fail for Cardale, because Jimmy Clausen looked like an ant trying to move a locomotive while on the field.
    Bears are in a pickle.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck