Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: San Francisco 49ers Week: That's The Focus

San Francisco 49ers Week: That's The Focus

Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 2h2 hours ago
    #Packers coach Mike McCarthy here. On Quarless: Definitely challenged this week. Knee sprain. "Don't think he'll play this week."

McCarthy on Adams: "It's part of the game. ... Just got to get healthy."

MM on young guys "There's a reason why they're on the 53" and the 63 including the p-squad. Credit to players and coaches.

Green Bay Packers ‏@packers 2h2 hours ago
    McCarthy: Our young players, there's a reason why they're on the 53...Give a lot of credit to the players for buying into the program.

McCarthy on San Francisco trip: Short week. Long trip. It's going to be hot. That's what we'll be focused on.

MM on Rodgers: Playing great, phenomenal prep getting guys acclimated. "A lot of interaction in the meetings."

McCarthy: Aaron (Rodgers) is playing great football. Does a phenomenal job in the preparation phase, getting guys acclimated.

McCarthy on Morgan Burnett being out: I think the defense handled all of the adjustments that were made...Communication was pretty clean.

Michael Cohen ‏@Michael_Cohen13 2h2 hours ago
    McCarthy said the team has "the whole week" to make a move to bring Guion back. "Our history will tell you we will take all week."

MM on Joe Thomas, who they released but is now a key player. This year was biggest challenge getting to 53. "This is the way it worked out."
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Kaepernick last week: 9-19, 67 yards, 0 TD, 4 INT. I'm guessing they might try to run the ball. Overall, they're 30th overall in passing yards with 516 yards in 3 games.
    They're 2nd in the NFL rushing the ball with 444 yards and a 4.5 average.

Defensively, they're 26th overall having given up 853 yards, with 5 TD passes and 2 INT's. Their run defense is just average, 16th overall.

They manhandles the Vikings pretty good in Week 1. I think they caught Minny off guard though. Carlos Hyde and Reggie Bush are the backs and they still have Kap, Boldin, etc. They aren't a terrible team, so it's not a gimme, but you have to think Vegas is picking GB.

Quote Originally Posted by run pMc View Post
    They manhandles the Vikings pretty good in Week 1. I think they caught Minny off guard though. Carlos Hyde and Reggie Bush are the backs and they still have Kap, Boldin, etc. They aren't a terrible team, so it's not a gimme, but you have to think Vegas is picking GB.
    Hard to know what to make of them. Since beating the Vikings handily, they've been outscored 90-25. Running the football is the one thing they've done really well. They'll try to control the clock to try to keep the ball out of Rodgers' hands.

Packers are favored by 9.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    Packers are favored by 9.
    Huge spread for a NFL road game.

Football Outsiders see it this way:

Code:
    Unit     O     D       ST
    Packers  1st    9th    6th
    49ers    29th   30th   25th
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

9 is too much. Packers never blow anyone out on the road. They haven't beaten SF in, what, five years? First they need to get the Kaepernick monkey off their back, then we can talk about blowouts.

Senior Rat HOFer Maxie the Taxi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hoosier View Post
    9 is too much. Packers never blow anyone out on the road. They haven't beaten SF in, what, five years? First they need to get the Kaepernick monkey off their back, then we can talk about blowouts.
    +1

This one could get away from the Packers if they're not smart about it and underestimate the half-assed Prospectors. They have great skill players (Bolden, Hyde, Davis, Bowman, etc.). Kaepernick was embarrassed last week and he'll be out to redeem himself. Arizona did a great job blitzing him and keep him contained, but the few times he escaped, he gashed them with his legs.

Arizona played seven DB's a lot and Kaepernick made mistakes under pressure. You have to make him beat you with his arm, which is can be very inaccurate even without pressure. The right side of their Oline is vulnerable to the pass rush. Their DL is tough to run against.

Niners are not as bad as last week and not as good as Week 1. Arizona might be the best team in the league, at least based on what I saw last week.
    One time Lombardi was disgusted with the team in practice and told them they were going to have to start with the basics. He held up a ball and said: "This is a football." McGee immediately called out, "Stop, coach, you're going too fast," and that gave everyone a laugh.
    John Maxymuk, Packers By The Numbers

Quote Originally Posted by Maxie the Taxi View Post
    +1

This one could get away from the Packers if they're not smart about it and underestimate the half-assed Prospectors. They have great skill players (Bolden, Hyde, Davis, Bowman, etc.). Kaepernick was embarrassed last week and he'll be out to redeem himself. Arizona did a great job blitzing him and keep him contained, but the few times he escaped, he gashed them with his legs.

Arizona played seven DB's a lot and Kaepernick made mistakes under pressure. You have to make him beat you with his arm, which is can be very inaccurate even without pressure. The right side of their Oline is vulnerable to the pass rush. Their DL is tough to run against.

Niners are not as bad as last week and not as good as Week 1. Arizona might be the best team in the league, at least based on what I saw last week.
    Once Kaepernick started thinking he was the greatest QB in the history of football, his skills began to erode considerably. He's still fast and can run, but he's not surprising people anymore. He's no Cam Newton.
    No longer the member of any fan clubs. I'm tired of jinxing players out of the league and into obscurity.

More M3 quotes later, but for now, evidence that M3 is a better spin meister than he is generally given credit for.

Green Bay Packers ‏@packers 1h1 hour ago
    McCarthy: Jeff Janis is doing a heck of a job. Making that leap in 2nd year. Great job on special teams...Part of the flow of our offense.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    More M3 quotes later, but for now, evidence that M3 is a better spin meister than he is generally given credit for.

Green Bay Packers ‏@packers 1h1 hour ago
    McCarthy: Jeff Janis is doing a heck of a job. Making that leap in 2nd year. Great job on special teams...Part of the flow of our offense.
    I don't think it's spin, pb.
    One time Lombardi was disgusted with the team in practice and told them they were going to have to start with the basics. He held up a ball and said: "This is a football." McGee immediately called out, "Stop, coach, you're going too fast," and that gave everyone a laugh.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxie the Taxi View Post
    I don't think it's spin, pb.
    I want it to be true Maxie*, but I am not sure he has made progress since last year. To be fair, it would mostly be at practice, so one game and a handful of routes don't tell me uch. He just isn't as ready as Monty.

*If Monty and Janis develop, you have a WR tandem for another 6 years minimum. Only need a 3rd wheel to handle the mid range stuff.

Bostick they say, as Ted laughs.

Michael Cohen ‏@Michael_Cohen13 21s21 seconds ago
    The Packers have signed TE Blake Annen to the practice squad and moved LB James Vaughters to the practice squad injured list.

What happened to Vaughters?

No idea.

But you owe us an answer to your 1 streak will continue, 2 will fail tease in the Game Day thread from the Chiefs game.

Blake Annen is the Jeff Janis of TE prospects.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    But you owe us an answer to your 1 streak will continue, 2 will fail tease in the Game Day thread from the Chiefs game.
    Well, there were so many hyped before the game, I suppose I could just pick and chose among the many story lines and be correct in my prediction.

But, honestly, I had in mind that the Chief's streak of mastery over the Packers would continue, and the winning streak at home along with Rodgers "interceptionless" streak at home would end. With Cobb not healthy, Adams hobbling and the tackles not playing all that well, I had a feeling we would see some bad bounces off receivers as Rodgers was hurried and receivers might not be exactly where expected. I thought that might be the difference in what I expected to be a close game.

Happily, I was very, very wrong!

The interception-less streak almost came to an end twice.

This week my focus is on keeping my head low and my mouth shut, and then crowing like Peter Pan when the Niners lose.

I hate sports fans here whenever this game is near. They go on and on and on about how great their team is without regard to who they're playing. I just reminded them a couple years back to revisit this debate in five years to see who sustained and who flopped. Took them two years to implode and the Packers are still strong.

I love being a Packers fan.
    No longer the member of any fan clubs. I'm tired of jinxing players out of the league and into obscurity.