Page 11 of 26 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 21 ... LastLast

Thread: The Official Barney Fuckdoggle Award Thread

Quote Originally Posted by sharpe1027 View Post
    The draft round is a just a guideline. The question is whether another fan would have been frustrated by the fact the Ryan came in as a previous unknown and played above expectations. Would Collingsworth also have expressed genuine surprise? Saying, "I really like this Jake Ryan guy!"

This is tough call this week. Ryan was drafted at a position without much depth or even good starting quality. He was penciled in as a possible contributor from the start. Still, he was only a 4th rounder and he was largely forgotten by everyone after the first 7 games.
    Except that after Barrington, it took Palmer and Thomas to flop before he got his shot. Fourth on the depth chart to leading the team in tackles after getting his first action (late?) in the second quarter I think definitely makes a solid case.
    No longer the member of any fan clubs. I'm tired of jinxing players out of the league and into obscurity.

Screw it, we need something positive to talk about after the past 2 weeks. Jake Ryan it is, but just barely.

Week 1: Nate Palmer
    Week 2: Jayrone Elliott
    Week 3: Joe Thomas
    Week 4: Open
    Week 5: Josh Walker
    Week 6: Jeff Janis
    Week 7: Bye Week
    Week 8: Open
    Week 9: Jake Ryan

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    The Stark Plug is something we can talk about. Dude was playing lights out on Sunday. He was gasping for breath at one point and I thought he was going to pass out! Maybe if he could have played every down they woulda won.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    The Stark Plug is something we can talk about. Dude was playing lights out on Sunday. He was gasping for breath at one point and I thought he was going to pass out! Maybe if he could have played every down they woulda won.
    Indeed. He even had a nice block that kept Rodgers from getting scared on one of his earlier TDs.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro ~Hunter S.

How can a Fuckdoggle be awarded in a loss? No way, no how!

These Fuckdoggle's don't grow on trees you know.

A Fuckdoggle can only occur commensurate with a win. The opposition's fans are not demoralized by Barney Fuckdoggle when their team wins! That is the essence of a Fuckdoggle performance, contributing out of the blue for the win.

I await your learned ruling on my formal appeal revoking Jake Ryan, week 9.

Good day sir.

Quote Originally Posted by esoxx View Post
    How can a Fuckdoggle be awarded in a loss? No way, no how!

These Fuckdoggle's don't grow on trees you know.

A Fuckdoggle can only occur commensurate with a win. The opposition's fans are not demoralized by Barney Fuckdoggle when their team wins! That is the essence of a Fuckdoggle performance, contributing out of the blue for the win.

I await your learned ruling on my formal appeal revoking Jake Ryan, week 9.

Good day sir.
    I agree. You can't make a Fuckdoggle out of fuckheads, and that is what we have had the past two weeks.

Blanket rules are a bad idea. The Fuckdoggle cannot be confined or limited by simplistic and hard line rules. Therefore, I reject the suggestion to prohibit awarding a Fuckdoggle during a loss. The fact that the team lost, however, is a valid consideration. The focus, however, remains on the individual.

They made the comeback with him on the field. Some have said that the defense seemed to improve after he came in and he lead the team in tackles. It is not his fault they couldn't score from 1st and goal and potentially win the game. That's enough for me.

Blanket rules are a bad idea. The Fuckdoggle cannot be confined or limited by simplistic and hard line rules. Therefore, I reject the suggestion to prohibit awarding a Fuckdoggle during a loss. The fact that the team lost, however, is a valid consideration. The focus, however, remains on the individual.

They made the comeback with him on the field. Some have said that the defense seemed to improve after he came in and he lead the team in tackles. It is not his fault they couldn't score from 1st and goal and potentially win the game. That's enough for me.
    To support and simplify:

A previously unheralded player can play unexpectedly well in defeat.
    No longer the member of any fan clubs. I'm tired of jinxing players out of the league and into obscurity.

Very well then. I still disagree that a Fuckdoggle can occur in loss but defer henceforth.

Passions always run highest in the land of Fuckdoggle. I think that's something we can all agree on.

The last two were more than losses. They were shellackings, poundings, embarrassments even by the players and coaches own words. Don't be fooled by the "almost" ending of the game. Had they won the game, no one deserved the coveted Fuckdoggle Award. When asked about Ryan, MM and Capers basically said, "Meh... He made some tackles, but has a lot to work on." The Fuckdoggle should elicit more than that from the guys who gave him the chance.

Jake Ryan earned a starting spot. When a rookie 4th rounder shows he's an upgrade, it has to celebrated.

Quote Originally Posted by Harlan Huckleby View Post
    Jake Ryan earned a starting spot. When a rookie 4th rounder shows he's an upgrade, it has to celebrated.
    This is on the Packers defense, lets not get too carried away with what it means.

Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    The last two were more than losses. They were shellackings, poundings, embarrassments even by the players and coaches own words. Don't be fooled by the "almost" ending of the game. Had they won the game, no one deserved the coveted Fuckdoggle Award. When asked about Ryan, MM and Capers basically said, "Meh... He made some tackles, but has a lot to work on." The Fuckdoggle should elicit more than that from the guys who gave him the chance.
    The Fuckdoggle is about serviceability out of guys nobody knows about. It is not an MVP award. The bigger question about Ryan is whether he is too well known as a 4th rounder.

The Fuckdoggle is about serviceability out of guys nobody knows about. It is not an MVP award. The bigger question about Ryan is whether he is too well known as a 4th rounder.
    Well, basically Capers and MM said he lined up and played. Isn't the Fuckdoggle more that that? If he had been replacing an injured player, maybe the standard is lower, just come in and don't hurt the team. But he was brought in to be an improvement, and his coaches weren't impressed.

Why is the question only about his notoriety and not his performance?
    If that is all it is about, give the award to Goodson, the 6th round pick who was getting his first action on defense in two seasons. He made some plays and missed some plays, probably about like Ryan. Actually, even with the big plays, the coaches said more positive things about Goodson than they did about Ryan. He was pressed into service because of injuries to Shields and Rollins, and was serviceable.

Well, basically Capers and MM said he lined up and played. Isn't the Fuckdoggle more that that? If he had been replacing an injured player, maybe the standard is lower, just come in and don't hurt the team. But he was brought in to be an improvement, and his coaches weren't impressed.

Why is the question only about his notoriety and not his performance?
    If that is all it is about, give the award to Goodson, the 6th round pick who was getting his first action on defense in two seasons. He made some plays and missed some plays, probably about like Ryan. Actually, even with the big plays, the coaches said more positive things about Goodson than they did about Ryan. He was pressed into service because of injuries to Shields and Rollins, and was serviceable.
    It is not only about notoriety. I said it was not an MVP award. I did not say that level of play made no difference. Ryan played about as well as some past winners, but he was more well known as a 4th rounder and for the reasons you stated. That is why I said the bigger question was about his notoriety, at least for him.

The award is about a guy being a hidden gem, a surprise when put in for someone else. Ryan is not the best example, but he did well enough to be considered. You can make an argument for Goodson. Until just now, nobody had thought he was worthy.

If you want to understand the award, I encourage you to go back and read this thread and the initial thread started by Rand. Here is the inspiration for the award:

Chiefs at Packers: The Packers have a knack for having unheralded players step up and play well when it matters most and it is fucking INFURIATING. I would like the loss of a star player to crush them. But NO… no, they always have some asshole behind him ready to go because they’re committed to internal player development because they’re so goddamn PERFECT. Bah! I want scrubs to be SCRUBS. I want to be able to laugh at a rival team for having to put Barney Fuckdoggle in at corner or whatever. It’s a real let-down when Barney turns into a hidden gem, and Collinsworth is like, “You know, Al. I think I really LIKE this Fuckdoggle guy!” That never happens with my team. With my team, the shitty players are shitty.

Screw it, we need something positive to talk about after the past 2 weeks. Jake Ryan it is, but just barely.

Week 1: Nate Palmer
    Week 2: Jayrone Elliott
    Week 3: Joe Thomas
    Week 4: Open
    Week 5: Josh Walker
    Week 6: Jeff Janis
    Week 7: Bye Week
    Week 8: Open
    Week 9: Jake Ryan
    So this isn't a FuckDoggle, it's a feel good, warm and fuzzy Award. That doesn't fit the spirit of the fuckdoggle. Create another FGWF Award and give it to Ryan. He was the brightest turd amongst a vast field of turds. No FuckDoggle. Plus, fourth round is too high to receive the FuckDoggle.

I have been following the thread, and I mentioned Goodson two days ago in this thread. But he, like Ryan, weren't noteworthy, they were just on the field.

I would now posit Ryan is ineligible based on your quote above. Ryan was not replacing a star player, was not even replacing an injured player; he was put in to be an improvement over a player that was simply not playing well. He was put in because it was hoped or expected that he would perform better than the guy he replaced, who then stood on the sideline ready to go back in. This wasn't, "Oh, no; we've lost our starter! What will we do?" This was, "Our starter is playing like crap. We drafted his backup because we thought he could be a player. Let's see if he is ready."

Goodson, on the other hand WAS brought in to replace an injured player, even a semi-star injured player, and not because he was the first replacement player. His role was increased because BOTH SHields and 2nd round draft pick Rollins were out. Then, the need for him was increased when Hayward went out with a concussion or whatever. This was; "We lost our best CB, and our second backup (#4CB). We will have to play Goodson at times. Crap! Now we've lost our other regular starter at CB. We have no choice but to play Goodson a lot, because three guys ahead of him are out for the game."

Ryan was the #3 MLB in base defenses. Goodson was probably no higher than #5 CB, behind Shields, Hayward, Randall and Rollins. With Hyde available too, they were at the bottom of the barrel playing Goodson as much as they did.

Nobody is ever ineligible, period. There are no bright lines. Make your case, but stop trying to contain the FuckDoggle to nice neat boxes. This is a Fuckdoggle award, not some prissy MVP award with minimum games played requirements etc..

Let's not forget that this is a weekly award, there will be weeks when a Fuckdoggle is better deserved than other weeks. This is the nature of periodic awards. The best option is picked unless no really even gets close.

Goodson can be considered, but let's hear from the Ryan backers. Are you convinced?

Ryan was the #3 MLB in base defenses.
    That is partly because of the injury too though.

Quote Originally Posted by George Cumby View Post
    So this isn't a FuckDoggle, it's a feel good, warm and fuzzy Award. That doesn't fit the spirit of the fuckdoggle. Create another FGWF Award and give it to Ryan. He was the brightest turd amongst a vast field of turds. No FuckDoggle. Plus, fourth round is too high to receive the FuckDoggle.
    Well, at least it got your attention. If we have mid-level guys making their first debut and they don't suck, is that worth at least considering them? Care to comment on whether you would you pick Goodson or Ryan as the best of the worst options?