Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: The Official Barney Fuckdoggle Award Thread

Quote Originally Posted by George Cumby View Post
    What. The. Fuck.

JJ got the FuckDoggle week one.
    Chiefs at Packers: The Packers have a knack for having unheralded players step up and play well when it matters most and it is fucking INFURIATING. I would like the loss of a star player to crush them. But NO… no, they always have some asshole behind him ready to go because they’re committed to internal player development because they’re so goddamn PERFECT. Bah! I want scrubs to be SCRUBS. I want to be able to laugh at a rival team for having to put Barney Fuckdoggle in at corner or whatever. It’s a real let-down when Barney turns into a hidden gem, and Collinsworth is like, “You know, Al. I think I really LIKE this Fuckdoggle guy!” That never happens with my team. With my team, the shitty players are shitty.
    I agree that JJ played better and also that it was a surprise to many, but is that what this award is about? The quote above talks about finding a "hidden gem" from a scrub without a real name (they might as well be named "Barney Fuckdoggle.") James Jones is relatively well-known outside of GB, and there was a lot of fanfare around his return - national articles, etc.

What do you think? Is JJ a Barney Fuckdoggle?

Double Post

Senior Rat HOFer Maxie the Taxi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sharpe1027 View Post
    What do you think? Is JJ a Barney Fuckdoggle?
    No. Fuckdoggleness presupposes that Barney is a "scrub." JJ was not a "scrub."
    One time Lombardi was disgusted with the team in practice and told them they were going to have to start with the basics. He held up a ball and said: "This is a football." McGee immediately called out, "Stop, coach, you're going too fast," and that gave everyone a laugh.
    John Maxymuk, Packers By The Numbers

But JJ was cut by two teams this off season. One of which was the Raiders. He was released by the Packers last year to make room for Jarrett Boinkin. The argument can be made that JJ was fished out of the disposal, no one else wanted him.

But JJ was cut by two teams this off season. One of which was the Raiders. He was released by the Packers last year to make room for Jarrett Boinkin. The argument can be made that JJ was fished out of the disposal, no one else wanted him.
    JJ's career may have been resurrected from the scrap heap, but do you think he is just some scrub nobody has heard of? There certainly are plenty of similarities, but is JJ really a guy that Chris Collinsworth would be like, “You know, Al. I think I really LIKE this Fuckdoggle guy!”? Collinsworth already knows all about JJ from his past time at Green Bay, as do many people, so I just don't see it personally.

Senior Rat HOFer Maxie the Taxi's Avatar
    Very astute point. The argument hinges on what the definition of "scrub" is, not only among us, but more importantly what was the original intent of the author with regard to the meaning of "scrub" when he first used the word?

This debate is rapidly progressing to a point that is vastly above my pay grade.
    One time Lombardi was disgusted with the team in practice and told them they were going to have to start with the basics. He held up a ball and said: "This is a football." McGee immediately called out, "Stop, coach, you're going too fast," and that gave everyone a laugh.
    John Maxymuk, Packers By The Numbers

JJ's career may have been resurrected from the scrap heap, but do you think he is just some scrub nobody has heard of? There certainly are plenty of similarities, but is JJ really a guy that Chris Collinsworth would be like, “You know, Al. I think I really LIKE this Fuckdoggle guy!”? Collinsworth already knows all about JJ from his past time at Green Bay, as do many people, so I just don't see it personally.
    Everyone was predicting James Jones would resign with the Pack if he got cut by the Giants. He did. Everyone expected that. How does him getting cut by two teams--one the Raiders and one with a deep, young WR bench--turn him into a scrub? If he was a scrub, no one would want him.

James Jones by virtue of either of his career success or his expected signing and contribution is ineligible.
    No longer the member of any fan clubs. I'm tired of jinxing players out of the league and into obscurity.

Quote Originally Posted by run pMc View Post
    I think JJ would be more of a Bruce Wilkerson award candidate than a Barney FuckDoggle award. I'm thinking of getting a jersey with McFuckDoggle on it. It'd be like McLovin, but better.
    Yes. He is on the watch list.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Name recognition seems to be important from the origin of the award. JJ has a lot of name recognition, it is from his performances in past years, but it is still there.

Let's keep this as simple as possible, so I propose the following guidelines (they can be ignored in special cases):

1. No high draft picks absent extenuating circumstances. Maybe, 4th round and lower.
    2. Nobody that has had significant time as a starter in prior years.

Criteria that are to be considered:
    1. How unknown they are to the average football fan.
    2. Their level of their play any given week.
    3. How long they have been with the team (recent pickups get extra points).
    4. Other considerations that make their success unexpected and noteworthy (e.g., poor combine numbers; lack of college credentials).

Does Barclay get some credit toward Fuckdoggle-ness due to his horrid preseason? He was playing like death warmed over for a good portion of it.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Does Barclay get some credit toward Fuckdoggle-ness due to his horrid preseason? He was playing like death warmed over for a good portion of it.
    I think he would have won it two years ago. This year, he is too well known.

If the spirit of the original blog post matters (Deadspin), than being unknown to the outside public is important. JJ would not qualify under that consideration.

Name recognition seems to be important from the origin of the award. JJ has a lot of name recognition, it is from his performances in past years, but it is still there.

Let's keep this as simple as possible, so I propose the following guidelines (they can be ignored in special cases):

1. No high draft picks absent extenuating circumstances. Maybe, 4th round and lower.
    2. Nobody that has had significant time as a starter in prior years.

Criteria that are to be considered:
    1. How unknown they are to the average football fan.
    2. Their level of their play any given week.
    3. How long they have been with the team (recent pickups get extra points).
    4. Other considerations that make their success unexpected and noteworthy (e.g., poor combine numbers; lack of college credentials).
    I would submit that draft picks not expected to contribute early on who are forced to play before every thinks they are ready and then light it up should be considered, at least until they win the award or until everyone is expecting them to show up on Sundays.

For example, Monty. High draft pick (Round 3), but only really expected to contribute on special teams in the short term. Lo and behold, GB's top fifteen WRs are injured, Monty steps in and starts catching the ball and making plays. Is he the fuckdoggle? Not yet, but he might get honorary mention for fuckdoggle of the month due to his sustained contribution over that period.

But it seems safe to assume that first round picks are ineligible.
    No longer the member of any fan clubs. I'm tired of jinxing players out of the league and into obscurity.

Quote Originally Posted by Smidgeon View Post
    I would submit that draft picks not expected to contribute early on who are forced to play before every thinks they are ready and then light it up should be considered, at least until they win the award or until everyone is expecting them to show up on Sundays.

For example, Monty. High draft pick (Round 3), but only really expected to contribute on special teams in the short term. Lo and behold, GB's top fifteen WRs are injured, Monty steps in and starts catching the ball and making plays. Is he the fuckdoggle? Not yet, but he might get honorary mention for fuckdoggle of the month due to his sustained contribution over that period.

But it seems safe to assume that first round picks are ineligible.
    Yes, they are guidelines only. Exceptions are allowed. Monty would get less credit than an undrafted fa however.

My thought was yes - JJ is not exactly a household name, discarded by two teams, and catches 2 TDs? Tell me Bear fans weren't going 'who the fuck(doggle) was that?
    --
    Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...

Quote Originally Posted by Guiness View Post
    My thought was yes - JJ is not exactly a household name, discarded by two teams, and catches 2 TDs? Tell me Bear fans weren't going 'who the fuck(doggle) was that?
    Maybe I am just over estimating other fan's knowledge. There were a number of national articles on JJ going to the Packers.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Quote Originally Posted by Guiness View Post
    Bar isn't very high there - Bears fans need to use their GPS to navigate from the TV to the fridge.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    too many rules
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    too many rules
    Simplified version:

Guy should be a virtual unknown prior to the start of the regular season.
    Selection based upon quality of play relative to expectations.

Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    too many rules
    never