Thread: McGinn's annual color code ranking of players

McGinn's annual color code ranking of players

I'm surprised no one has brought this up yet. I shouldn't really call it McGinn's ranking, its his article reporting the evaluation of:

Quote Originally Posted by McGinn
    ...an experienced executive in personnel for a National Football League team who agreed to dissect the Packers and forecast the season for the Journal Sentinel.

Selected because of his level of expertise and success in the NFL, he has watched the Packers this summer, this September and for many years before that.
    http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packe...330544111.html

Interesting, because it evaluates each position group in a narrative, then assigns a color ranking to each player (top to bottom - blue, red, purple green, yellow, white, brown.) He ranked 68 players under contract

I think it shows what a solid roster this is:

3 blues (All Pro) - Nelson, Rodgers, Matthews
    6 red (Above average starter, chance to be exceptional)
    9 purple (Starter you can win with)
    19 green (lower tier starter or improving sub) This includes guys like Jones, R. Rodgers, Bakhtiari, Guion, Starks , Hayward, Perry, Hyde and Pennel
    15 yellow (Below Average)
    15 white (Incomplete)
    1 brown (Reject) - sorry all you Badger fans, he put Abbrederis in this category

Some don't make any sense. How can most rookies not be "white - Incomplete"? Yet, he puts Montgomery as yellow and Abbrederis brown.

Not saying this is absolutely correct, but is is an intersting evaluation to discuss. Having 37 guys as good as Starks, Hayward, Hyde, Jones, etc. or better makes for a pretty solid game day roster

I think every team has weakspots and JAGs in their starting lineup -- it's hard to find, develop, and keep that many quality players and depth. I also think which players are blue (e.g., having an MVP QB) makes a huge difference. From a roster-wide view of the overall talent on the team, it's pretty interesting. I'd assume all the rookies except maybe Randall would be white based on the number of snaps, and even then, he's a rookie so he could develop fast this year. Agree Montgomery as a yellow is interesting; not sure I agree with him as a yellow. Too early to tell.

I agree with the guy's evaluation of the top half of the roster, but that is the easy part.

Some of the players on the bottom half of the roster have seen significant playing time in recent years, I accept his judgement there. But so many of those guys are untested.

Quote Originally Posted by Harlan Huckleby View Post
    I agree with the guy's evaluation of the top half of the roster, but that is the easy part.

Some of the players on the bottom half of the roster have seen significant playing time in recent years, I accept his judgement there. But so many of those guys are untested.
    The list of potential Fuckdoggles on this team is mind-boggling.