Thread: Studs And Duds - Packers vs. 49ers

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Senior Rat HOFer Maxie the Taxi's Avatar
    It's funny...almost. A lot of us around here have been calling for the KISS principle for a year or two, ever since defensive breakdowns were blamed on communication problems. Now it's done. Good.

I tend to think this was another fruit of Stubby's decision to give up playcalling and concentrate on the overall big picture? Which, by the way, a lot of us were adamant about for a long time too.
    One time Lombardi was disgusted with the team in practice and told them they were going to have to start with the basics. He held up a ball and said: "This is a football." McGee immediately called out, "Stop, coach, you're going too fast," and that gave everyone a laugh.
    John Maxymuk, Packers By The Numbers

Quote Originally Posted by Maxie the Taxi View Post
    It's funny...almost. A lot of us around here have been calling for the KISS principle for a year or two, ever since defensive breakdowns were blamed on communication problems. Now it's done. Good.

I tend to think this was another fruit of Stubby's decision to give up playcalling and concentrate on the overall big picture? Which, by the way, a lot of us were adamant about for a long time too.
    From the JSO article:

"It takes time to say, 'Eagle Wide Open Me Special Seven,'" Capers said with a smile. "To where now you have a one-word term. Those guys all know the one-word code terms."

You know, in my dreams when Drew Barrymore looks up at me from the bed and says "Eagle Wide Open Me, Special Seven," I know exactly what she means. No need to dumb that down.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Quote Originally Posted by Maxie the Taxi View Post

My guess is that they have simplified before, if only for young starters.

However, rebuilt the communication is probably linked to M3 pushing Capers to consider the new workings of offense.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.