Thread: Studs And Duds - Packers vs. 49ers

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Good post 31. That may be true. Still capers is no Lt. Dyke.

I haven't run numbers on it but third downs still seem problematic. I bet the packers don't do so well on third and long percentages. That's a guess.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post

I haven't run numbers on it but third downs still seem problematic. I bet the packers don't do so well on third and long percentages. That's a guess.
    Packers defense 3rd down pct is 41%, which is 18th. St. Louis is the same. They started out poorly against the Bears, but have done well since then. Opponents 3rd down conversions have been 11-17, 3-9, 2-10, 4-13.

Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post

Correct, with a bit of a caveat

http://espn.go.com/nfl/insider/story...ackers-top-nfl

Those scrambles are connected to the biggest weakness of Green Bay's defense so far: getting off the field on third downs. According to DVOA, the Packers have been the best defense in the NFL on first downs and rank ninth overall on second downs. But they fall to 30th on third downs, mostly because of their inability to get off the field on third and long.

The average offensive play on third-and-7-or-more gains 6.5 yards. Green Bay has allowed a 9.1-yard average -- and 10 conversions on 28 tries -- on such plays.

But that might be an outlier. All of those conversions have come with the Packers in the lead, and all but one came in the second half.
    Hopefully the defense tightening the screws against SF was a sign of things to come
    Go PACK