Thread: Playing young guys

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Jumbo Rat HOFer
    Quote Originally Posted by red View Post
    its not like it takes an 8 year vet to run a "go" route

"ok, heres what we're gonna run, try and keep up"

"when the ball is snapped we want you to start running in a straight line as fast as you can"

"then, when the ball is thrown to you, catch it and keep running in a straight line"

"got it?"
    Except they tried that and Janis let the CB squeeze him out of bounds. At least this week Monty stayed on the playing field.
    But Rodgers leads the league in frumpy expressions and negative body language on the sideline, which makes him, like Josh Allen, a unique double threat.

-Tim Harmston

Quote Originally Posted by ThunderDan View Post
    Except they tried that and Janis let the CB squeeze him out of bounds. At least this week Monty stayed on the playing field.
    Maybe they need to line him up in the slot instead of outside Dan. That way he'll have more real estate to work with as he's trying to keep from getting pushed off of the field!

Except they tried that and Janis let the CB squeeze him out of bounds.
    One play he gets pushed out of bounds. This defines his potential to contribute?

People have been calling Janis "not ready" or "just a guy" based on almost nothing. It is not brain surgery, he can learn from mistakes and get better. He won't become a better receiver on kick coverage alone.

Jumbo Rat HOFer
    Quote Originally Posted by Harlan Huckleby View Post
    One play he gets pushed out of bounds. This defines his potential to contribute?

People have been calling Janis "not ready" or "just a guy" based on almost nothing. It is not brain surgery, he can learn from mistakes and get better. He won't become a better receiver on kick coverage alone.
    No, it doesn't define his potential. It is certainly an indicator of his potential. The guy has been on our roster for 2 years and that is the best route he can run there? Either our WR coach is horrible (I don't believe this for a second) or maybe Janis isn't the guy we hope he would be. It happens all the time in the NFL.
    But Rodgers leads the league in frumpy expressions and negative body language on the sideline, which makes him, like Josh Allen, a unique double threat.

-Tim Harmston

No, it doesn't define his potential. It is certainly an indicator of his potential. The guy has been on our roster for 2 years and that is the best route he can run there? Either our WR coach is horrible (I don't believe this for a second) or maybe Janis isn't the guy we hope he would be. It happens all the time in the NFL.
    He has been on the Packer roster for one year and four games; he missed a chunk of his rookie camp due to shingles; and he was coming from from a much weaker background than many others. It might take more than a single year for him. Whereas people often look for a second year jump, Janis' fist year was taken getting him to the level that many other rookies are at when they come in. One article at the end of camp said that while he wasn't yet challenging for a lot of playing time, he was light years ahead of where he was at as a rookie, and his coaches were pleased with his progress. One predraft article said his route running ability was unknown, because in college all he did was use his size to get past defenders and his speed to out run them. I think the end of camp next year will better define if he has a future as a WR in the NFL or not.

From everything I've read, its consistency, not ability.

The Packers have worked with Janis to be more physical in escaping press-man coverage from much speedier cornerbacks, and there's tape of him doing exactly that.

"He has days where you come out there and say, 'Man, he's just throwing guys around,'" Van Pelt said. "Because he's being physical and using his strength. That's what you like to see."

Then, there was a rep in one-on-one's Aug. 7 where a strong safety, Morgan Burnett, prevented Janis from releasing in the bump zone and rode him into an incompletion.
    His work as a gunner on the punt team should help that, and he seems to be doing very well at that. I have been surprised at how quickly he has been downfield sometimes, getting there not as the ball is getting there, but well before it gets there.

Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    He has been on the Packer roster for one year and four games; he missed a chunk of his rookie camp due to shingles; and he was coming from from a much weaker background than many others. It might take more than a single year for him. Whereas people often look for a second year jump, Janis' fist year was taken getting him to the level that many other rookies are at when they come in. One article at the end of camp said that while he wasn't yet challenging for a lot of playing time, he was light years ahead of where he was at as a rookie, and his coaches were pleased with his progress. One predraft article said his route running ability was unknown, because in college all he did was use his size to get past defenders and his speed to out run them. I think the end of camp next year will better define if he has a future as a WR in the NFL or not.

From everything I've read, its consistency, not ability.

His work as a gunner on the punt team should help that, and he seems to be doing very well at that. I have been surprised at how quickly he has been downfield sometimes, getting there not as the ball is getting there, but well before it gets there.
    Yup, that fist year would be a tough one.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack