Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Playing young guys

Playing young guys

If I were king of the forest, Josh Walker would be starting at RT and Jeff Janis would be playing 20 snaps at WR.

Walker has a chance to be better than Barclay. The team desperately needs some speed at WR. Janis can not learn without game experience. He's made big plays in preseason, he has some skill.

The coaches are not always right, they are prone to excessive caution. We see cases where a young player bests the injured vet after getting some experience.

Walker maybe, since Barclay has been bad, but as much as I want Janis to show something, so far he's been the offensive equivalent of Jarrett Bush. Great on special teams, but not right on other downs.
    Fire Murphy, Gute, MLF, Barry, Senavich, etc!

Quote Originally Posted by MadScientist View Post
    Janis to show something, so far he's been the offensive equivalent of Jarrett Bush.
    He has played so little you can't judge. In two preseasons he's shown he can run and catch. Just having him on the field to threaten deep opens up areas for other receivers.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Quote Originally Posted by Harlan Huckleby View Post
    He has played so little you can't judge. In two preseasons he's shown he can run and catch. Just having him on the field to threaten deep opens up areas for other receivers.
    Given how tightly wound Stubby is, you should be happy they even threw that deep ball to Monty to start the game.

I'm guessing this stuff is far more clear in practices and meetings.

Stubby: Should we scheme a few deep balls for Janis?
    Rodgers: Not a chance. He's not competitive enough on the sideline to present a reliable target
    Stubby: How about just one?
    Rodgers: Why not scheme one for Monty, at least he knows what the F he's doing.
    Stubby: Maybe. You know I like to run for 2 on first down
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

McGinn's expert (see the thread I just started, said this:

Quote Originally Posted by McGinn's expert
    "At the end of the day (Jeff) Janis is just going to be a guy. I don't see (Jared) Abbrederis."
    Does that mean "a GUY", or "just a guy"?

Hands-to-the-face Rat HOFer 3irty1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    Given how tightly wound Stubby is, you should be happy they even threw that deep ball to Monty to start the game.

I'm guessing this stuff is far more clear in practices and meetings.

Stubby: Should we scheme a few deep balls for Janis?
    Rodgers: Not a chance. He's not competitive enough on the sideline to present a reliable target
    Stubby: How about just one?
    Rodgers: Why not scheme one for Monty, at least he knows what the F he's doing.
    Stubby: Maybe. You know I like to run for 2 on first down
    This is about how I imagine it. Rodgers is pretty well known as a QB who demands the utmost of reliability and Janis just hasn't excelled at doing the small things that have become the hallmark of a GB receiver. The one shot Janis did get might be a carrot for his good work on special teams. As raw as Montgomery is he's already shown he can approach the game like a pro.
    70% of the Earth is covered by water. The rest is covered by Al Harris.

Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    Does that mean "a GUY", or "just a guy"?
    I took it to mean he's JAG. I think Janis falls into the old thinking of WRs taking 3 years to really get it. Nowadays that's not so much the case, but the jump for Janis to the pros was a big adjustment. He might develop and the lightbulb go on, but he's got to get better and more reliable. I took the comment about Abbrederis (along with the brown rating in the color-rating article) to mean he's a no because of medical. Given he hasn't stayed healthy, I'd agree but hope I'm wrong. Knowing my luck he'll get released, picked up by the Vikings and play for 10 years.

Oracle Rat HOFer Cheesehead Craig's Avatar
    Charles Johnson was let go because he wasn't showing enough. Look how he's done this season. It seems to me that the one thing this staff does get right is WRs.
    All hail the Ruler of the Meadow!

Hands-to-the-face Rat HOFer 3irty1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheesehead Craig View Post
    Charles Johnson was let go because he wasn't showing enough. Look how he's done this season. It seems to me that the one thing this staff does get right is WRs.
    I thought Charles Johnson was poached off our PS by the Bengals and then promptly stashed on IR because their training staff found a knee injury that ours missed.
    70% of the Earth is covered by water. The rest is covered by Al Harris.

Quote Originally Posted by 3irty1 View Post
    I thought Charles Johnson was poached off our PS by the Bengals and then promptly stashed on IR because their training staff found a knee injury that ours missed.
    You're right 3irty1 but I believe it was the Browns who poached him and found the knee injury that our staff missed for some reason. Can't remember if the Queens signed him as a free agent or exactly how they got him.

Quote Originally Posted by SMBASS View Post
    You're right 3irty1 but I believe it was the Browns who poached him and found the knee injury that our staff missed for some reason. Can't remember if the Queens signed him as a free agent or exactly how they got him.
    The Vikings signed him off the Browns practice squad early last year.
    "There's a lot of interest in the draft. It's great. But quite frankly, most of the people that are commenting on it don't know anything about what they are talking about."--Ted Thompson

Senior Rat All-Pro oldbutnotdeadyet's Avatar
    I agree with Harlan, at least throw a few to him to see if he can step up in a game situation. If nothing else, in garbage time. Some players don't practice well.

its not like it takes an 8 year vet to run a "go" route

"ok, heres what we're gonna run, try and keep up"

"when the ball is snapped we want you to start running in a straight line as fast as you can"

"then, when the ball is thrown to you, catch it and keep running in a straight line"

"got it?"

and that is exactly what this team is missing

a few of those a game, even if they don't work, would help keep the D off the line

Jumbo Rat HOFer
    Quote Originally Posted by red View Post
    its not like it takes an 8 year vet to run a "go" route

"ok, heres what we're gonna run, try and keep up"

"when the ball is snapped we want you to start running in a straight line as fast as you can"

"then, when the ball is thrown to you, catch it and keep running in a straight line"

"got it?"
    Except they tried that and Janis let the CB squeeze him out of bounds. At least this week Monty stayed on the playing field.
    But Rodgers leads the league in frumpy expressions and negative body language on the sideline, which makes him, like Josh Allen, a unique double threat.

-Tim Harmston

Quote Originally Posted by ThunderDan View Post
    Except they tried that and Janis let the CB squeeze him out of bounds. At least this week Monty stayed on the playing field.
    Maybe they need to line him up in the slot instead of outside Dan. That way he'll have more real estate to work with as he's trying to keep from getting pushed off of the field!

So who would lose playing time to see if the Janis experiment would work?

Quote Originally Posted by ThunderDan View Post
    Except they tried that and Janis let the CB squeeze him out of bounds.
    One play he gets pushed out of bounds. This defines his potential to contribute?

People have been calling Janis "not ready" or "just a guy" based on almost nothing. It is not brain surgery, he can learn from mistakes and get better. He won't become a better receiver on kick coverage alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Rutnstrut View Post
    So who would lose playing time to see if the Janis experiment would work?
    Jared "Brownie" Abbrederis?

Actually, snaps would come from Monty, Jones. That's OK, they still get most snaps.

BTW, anybody frightened about trying Josh Walker and losing Barclay's services?

Senior Rat HOFer Maxie the Taxi's Avatar
    I agree with the Blue Dog...let the youngster gain some confidence, which I think he lacks. When I think of Janis, immediately the commercial with Luke McCown pops into my mind (where he's sitting on the Verizon tower). "I bet if they only had a chance, some of those backups would really shine." *sniff* *sniff*

One time Lombardi was disgusted with the team in practice and told them they were going to have to start with the basics. He held up a ball and said: "This is a football." McGee immediately called out, "Stop, coach, you're going too fast," and that gave everyone a laugh.
    John Maxymuk, Packers By The Numbers