Thread: Bears sign two-time all American, winner of Outland & Rimington Trophies

Bears sign two-time all American, winner of Outland & Rimington Trophies

Barrett Jones

This guys career has been stuck in neutral since he was drafted. Played all five O-line positions at Alabama, as team needs dictated. Started as a true freshman before being injured and redshirted. Third team All-American at guard as a sophomore. Consensus All-American at left tackle as a junior when he also won the Outland trophy. Consensus All-American the next year at center when he won the Rimington trophy.

His career never got on track at St. Louis, and the Rams released him at the final cut down this year. Signed to the Steelers practice squad, but was released by them last week. Now signed to the Bears's practice squad.

He seemed to have a lot going. Good size and strength, long arms, large hands. Highly intelligent, graduated summa cum laude with a 4.0 grade point average with an accounting degree after his redshirt junior year, and completed a Masters degree with a 4.0 GPA after his senior season. There were, however, questions about his overall athleticism. Still, most predicted a lengthy NFL career simply because he was so productive and successful at a major college program.

This was a guy that I hoped the Packers might pick up in the draft when they needed a center. Three years later, he is bouncing from practice squad to practice squad.

Everything I read from STL people (fans/comments) after he was cut was that he was too weak and too soft.

Well I think some where in that school he attended maybe he had to much help even with his tests think about it some one that is suppose to be this smart "graduated summa cum laude with a 4.0 grade point average " signs with the Bears practice squad sort of like signing up to to be the ball in a game of kick ball
    With all there injuries if he cant be called up this yr and right away he might as well call it quits and think about it its the Bears LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    Barrett Jones

This guys career has been stuck in neutral since he was drafted. Played all five O-line positions at Alabama, as team needs dictated. Started as a true freshman before being injured and redshirted. Third team All-American at guard as a sophomore. Consensus All-American at left tackle as a junior when he also won the Outland trophy. Consensus All-American the next year at center when he won the Rimington trophy.

His career never got on track at St. Louis, and the Rams released him at the final cut down this year. Signed to the Steelers practice squad, but was released by them last week. Now signed to the Bears's practice squad.

He seemed to have a lot going. Good size and strength, long arms, large hands. Highly intelligent, graduated summa cum laude with a 4.0 grade point average with an accounting degree after his redshirt junior year, and completed a Masters degree with a 4.0 GPA after his senior season. There were, however, questions about his overall athleticism. Still, most predicted a lengthy NFL career simply because he was so productive and successful at a major college program.

This was a guy that I hoped the Packers might pick up in the draft when they needed a center. Three years later, he is bouncing from practice squad to practice squad.

I, too, was calling for the Packers to draft this guy. And about two weeks ago, I was calling for the Packers to cut Nick Perry when Guion came back.

Thank god I'm not the Packers' GM.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

add me to the group that wanted ted to draft him

Senior Rat HOFer Maxie the Taxi's Avatar
    Add me to the group that never heard of him.
    One time Lombardi was disgusted with the team in practice and told them they were going to have to start with the basics. He held up a ball and said: "This is a football." McGee immediately called out, "Stop, coach, you're going too fast," and that gave everyone a laugh.
    John Maxymuk, Packers By The Numbers

I didn't think he was NFL caliber. I watched a number of Bama games when he was on the team. (I live a few hours south of the school in Florida.) He was not a star in college, was not particularly physically gifted, and had bad knees coming out of school. In total, nothing to suggest we should use a pick on him.