Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Pete Carroll is a Dope

I think Pete is being intentionally dense here. He is a "my guys all the way" kinda coach. But I wouldn't call him dumb. He survived what would have been career ending terminations by the Pats and Jets as a young coach. And he looked bad on both occasions. No less a visionary than the Sports Guy :eyeroll: used him as a punching bag for years, and you know that wasn't based on independent film study. Everyone in the media was convinced he was done.

His resurrection was based on fixing what he had been doing wrong and getting himself in a better spot.

Harbaugh is a good coach, but I am not sure how flexible he is to changing his methods. His Michigan team, like some of his others, has a fantastic defense. The offense is interesting at best.

So I stand by calling Pete a dope rather than dumb. And I have more evidence that he knows what he is doing than I do for Harbaugh.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    I think Pete is being intentionally dense here. He is a "my guys all the way" kinda coach. But I wouldn't call him dumb. He survived what would have been career ending terminations by the Pats and Jets as a young coach. And he looked bad on both occasions. No less a visionary than the Sports Guy :eyeroll: used him as a punching bag for years, and you know that wasn't based on independent film study. Everyone in the media was convinced he was done.

His resurrection was based on fixing what he had been doing wrong and getting himself in a better spot.

Harbaugh is a good coach, but I am not sure how flexible he is to changing his methods. His Michigan team, like some of his others, has a fantastic defense. The offense is interesting at best.

So I stand by calling Pete a dope rather than dumb. And I have more evidence that he knows what he is doing than I do for Harbaugh.
    I don't see what he gains by intentionally being dense. He's drawing more attention to the issue. Seems like a stupid thing to do.

Quote Originally Posted by sharpe1027 View Post
    I don't see what he gains by intentionally being dense. He's drawing more attention to the issue. Seems like a stupid thing to do.
    Unifies the team behind the idea that the win was legit, that this doesn't get called normally and it doesn't mar the victory. Regardless of outrage "out there" the team ca be confident that they were the better team and won.

No coach wants to send the message that due to the vagaries of fate and a rarely discussed rule we are now 2-2 and ready to climb back in the playoff race.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by HarveyWallbangers View Post
    I wouldn't feel too bad. They were outplayed and then blew it at the end. The right call would have been a gift they didn't deserve.
    Besides a handful of plays the seachickens didn't look so hot at home against a winless team either.

Unifies the team behind the idea that the win was legit, that this doesn't get called normally and it doesn't mar the victory. Regardless of outrage "out there" the team ca be confident that they were the better team and won.

No coach wants to send the message that due to the vagaries of fate and a rarely discussed rule we are now 2-2 and ready to climb back in the playoff race.
    Seems a stupid way to legitimize the win, make an intentionally dense statement that is easily disproven and thus will call into question the basis for the claim to legitimacy. But, what do I know?

I see your point, it can foster that "us vs. them"/"circle the wagons" mentality that some teams feed on. Wouldn't doubt that SEA is a team like that. Carroll is definitely a "my guys all the way" coach...but when the calls are obvious and he does that, it looks pretty silly. Denial can make you look like an assclown if you aren't smart about it.

Quote Originally Posted by sharpe1027 View Post
    Seems a stupid way to legitimize the win, make an intentionally dense statement that is easily disproven and thus will call into question the basis for the claim to legitimacy. But, what do I know?
    I'm pretty sure he is happy to split the hair that no defender has had that called on them while in the end zone for a long time. He likes being chippy and having chippy players. I read a profile of him where he got into a no-water drinking contest with a reporter because of a misunderstanding. Carroll was texting the guy after they parted company that he still hadn't had any water. I am near certain he is happy to hang his hat on this.

He is also a dope and he got another freebie win, regardless of whether his adrenaline addicted brain can internalize it or not.

I'm pretty sure he is happy to split the hair that no defender has had that called on them while in the end zone for a long time. He likes being chippy and having chippy players. I read a profile of him where he got into a no-water drinking contest with a reporter because of a misunderstanding. Carroll was texting the guy after they parted company that he still hadn't had any water. I am near certain he is happy to hang his hat on this.

He is also a dope and he got another freebie win, regardless of whether his adrenaline addicted brain can internalize it or not.
    I agree that he is more than happy to stick to his guns; I disagree it was being intentionally dense to split hairs in the first place. I think he believed it was a legitimate position that others would buy into. Your water story suggests he is not always the most logical. I do not think it was that was a carefully orchestrated statement where he knew a lot of people would think it was a stupid thing to say.