Quote Originally Posted by vince View Post
Here's an article by McGinn about the interior d-line setting the tone against the run and transforming the defense. Without Hawk to keep clean behind them, the d-line is more free to penetrate and make plays on ball carriers to force tougher down and distance situations and then unleash the pass rushers.
I was going to write that Jim Haslett's calling card in Pittsburgh, compared to Dom and Dick was heavier ILBs. But I think I am the victim of narrative there. Levon Kirkland, even if you lined him up next to Alvin Garrett (Smurf, Fun Bunch) would make your ILB corps bigger. SO it might have been Haslett's preference, but Kirkland was drafted in 1992, started in 1993 and Haslett showed up in 1997.

So I am tempted to conclude that Bob is suffering from the same affliction here. If you don't think Capers was still protecting a man who had never played ILB professionally before when he switched his positions during the bye week last year, you may be delusional. And it should be noted no one hinted at the scheme change while Barrington was the starter. Palmer could not have been a factor since he had not even earned a job in the offseason.

The reason for the change in fortunes on run D was the difference between Matthews play and later period Hawk or Brad Jones. Not scheme.

The is also another reason penetration numbers may have gone up. Raji is back, and that is his game. He used to do that even with Hawk and Bishop behind him.

So Bob is concluding a scheme alteration based on 3 games. Its possible that Capers an Trgo are calling a different D, but I need more evidence and numbers about penetration.