Thread: The Defense and its improvement. Why?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
    This and this and this. I made enemies when I said Clay was over rated as a pass rusher in the past, but what he does is EVERYTHING. Our ILB play was so abysmal, and when you are soft up the middle, you are soft everywhere. When Clay moved inside last season it was night and day. He solves every problem. Covering TE's and backs out of the backfield. Check. Shutting down the run game. Check. Unpredictable pass rusher who can come from inside, outside, crossing. Check.

In short, our 3-4 D has found its version of Ray Lewis or Patrick Willis. Of course, the improvements of Perry, Neal and addition of Peppers has also helped the pass rush immensely which makes all DB's look better. But mainly its Clay in and Hawk out.
    +1

I've had that same discussion with other fans. It never ended well. I totally agree that his overall value is so much more now that he is being asked to do more than rush almost all of the time.

One of McGinn's big contributions from the last few years were the numbers he had on Clay beating Tackles for sacks since his rookie year. It was a small percentage of his pressures. Bobble is right, he is better being everywhere.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    One of McGinn's big contributions from the last few years were the numbers he had on Clay beating Tackles for sacks since his rookie year. It was a small percentage of his pressures. Bobble is right, he is better being everywhere.
    It dawned on me while discussing Clay's new role with another fan that Clay might well play middle linebacker, if given the chance in a 4-3 defense, almost identically to Brian Urlacher.

Aren't they similar in size, speed, motor, athleticism and ball skills?
    [QUOTE=George Cumby] ...every draft (Ted) would pick a solid, dependable, smart, athletically limited linebacker...the guy who isn't doing drugs, going to strip bars, knocking around his girlfriend or making any plays of game changing significance.