Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: The Defense and its improvement. Why?

The Defense and its improvement. Why?

This subject keeps coming up in other threads and I think it merits its own thread.

The defense has improved markedly it would seem.

Why is that? My scattershot take is its a combination of the following: better health, fewer blown assignments, better depth, Clay in the middle "full" time, no AJ Hawk (I alwyas liked him, but it's apparently addition by subtraction), no Brad Jones.

Or, is the premise flawed? Does the defense LOOK better but really isn't?

Thoughts?

Not sure of how good we are, haven't really shut down anyone of real accord yet. Chicago ran up and down the field pretty well.

Pass rush.

Ok. But why has the pass rush improved?

Senior Rat HOFer Maxie the Taxi's Avatar
    I think they are better this year, mainly cause Raji is better. Plus, with Palmer, Thomas and Elliot at LB, there is more speed, range and pass rush/playmaking. Plus, the secondary hasn't seen the drop off I expected. It might even be faster and rangier than last year. Tackling seems better too.

On the other hand, it might be the Kool Aid I'm drinking.
    One time Lombardi was disgusted with the team in practice and told them they were going to have to start with the basics. He held up a ball and said: "This is a football." McGee immediately called out, "Stop, coach, you're going too fast," and that gave everyone a laugh.
    John Maxymuk, Packers By The Numbers

Someone somewhere suggested that the improvement in pass rush was a ripple effect from the improvement in the run defense.

Pass that stuff over here when you are done.

Quote Originally Posted by George Cumby View Post
    Ok. But why has the pass rush improved?
    Not certain, but I would guess that it is down to having healthy players on the edge. Having a stouter middle might also be a factor because it keeps the QB from stepping up and might be freeing up the outside guys from having to crash down to help in the run game.

Jumbo Rat HOFer
    BJ Raji.

He has played like a beast and is being doubled on almost every play. That allows Daniels to play 1-on-1. That keeps one of the guards off our ILBs. That helps the run defense.

We also have excellent depth on the DL and OLB. We are able to rotate fresh players into the game and don't see a drop in play.
    But Rodgers leads the league in frumpy expressions and negative body language on the sideline, which makes him, like Josh Allen, a unique double threat.

-Tim Harmston

Raji seems to be playing like a man possessed, that would certainly benefit both run and pass defense.

I think it's because wist hasn't been around lately. There's a correlation there, I'm sure.
    No longer the member of any fan clubs. I'm tired of jinxing players out of the league and into obscurity.

Quote Originally Posted by Smidgeon View Post
    I think it's because wist hasn't been around lately. There's a correlation there, I'm sure.
    Chicken or the egg?

Matthews now causes more confusion than ever before. The defense was better when they flipped him between right and left for a while; now he can show up anywhere.

With Matthews in the middle, he has an impact to some extent on almost every running play, he is that fast and that good. Even if he is not involved in the tackle, he takes up blockers. He attracts attention and takes it away from others.

Raji being back makes the DL rotation better.
    Raji having found the fountain of youth, and playing like he did in 2010 makes it even better.

Jayrone Elliot has simple made plays, even big plays. The kinds of plays that influence outcomes. I don't know if he can continue to do it, but so far it has made a difference.

Nick Perry being healthy (apparently) has made an effect. He has made at least one play of note in every game, even with relatively limited snaps.

Pass defense from middle linebackers through the first 4 games is much, much better than it was last year.

DBs are playing well, with no drop off from last year. The rookies so far have not played like rookies.

Perhaps overlooked, but a factor nonetheless: The offense has been more methodical, with fewer long strikes. This keeps the defense off the field, keeps them rested and requires them to play less.

So losing Jordy made the D better? i know that's an over simplification, but that's a conclusion that could be drawn from your last point.......

Quote Originally Posted by George Cumby View Post
    So losing Jordy made the D better? i know that's an over simplification, but that's a conclusion that could be drawn from your last point.......
    Statistically speaking, probably.

Often teams with supposedly great defenses (low total yards and points/game) are coupled with time-consuming grind it out offenses. These teams generally try to shorten the game by keeping the total plays down, leveling the playing field against better teams. The converse is also true, often teams with high-powered offenses have defenses with poor statistics in total yards and points/game. There are exceptions.

Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    Matthews now causes more confusion than ever before. The defense was better when they flipped him between right and left for a while; now he can show up anywhere.

With Matthews in the middle, he has an impact to some extent on almost every running play, he is that fast and that good. Even if he is not involved in the tackle, he takes up blockers. He attracts attention and takes it away from others.
    This and this and this. I made enemies when I said Clay was over rated as a pass rusher in the past, but what he does is EVERYTHING. Our ILB play was so abysmal, and when you are soft up the middle, you are soft everywhere. When Clay moved inside last season it was night and day. He solves every problem. Covering TE's and backs out of the backfield. Check. Shutting down the run game. Check. Unpredictable pass rusher who can come from inside, outside, crossing. Check.

In short, our 3-4 D has found its version of Ray Lewis or Patrick Willis. Of course, the improvements of Perry, Neal and addition of Peppers has also helped the pass rush immensely which makes all DB's look better. But mainly its Clay in and Hawk out.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

Perhaps overlooked, but a factor nonetheless: The offense has been more methodical, with fewer long strikes. This keeps the defense off the field, keeps them rested and requires them to play less.
    Oh yea, a run game. This is also a factor. And surprising to everyone, now that the OL is run blocking well, we miraculously found two backs that can run effectively. I know, I know, its the RB, not the OL.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
    This and this and this. I made enemies when I said Clay was over rated as a pass rusher in the past, but what he does is EVERYTHING. Our ILB play was so abysmal, and when you are soft up the middle, you are soft everywhere. When Clay moved inside last season it was night and day. He solves every problem. Covering TE's and backs out of the backfield. Check. Shutting down the run game. Check. Unpredictable pass rusher who can come from inside, outside, crossing. Check.

In short, our 3-4 D has found its version of Ray Lewis or Patrick Willis. Of course, the improvements of Perry, Neal and addition of Peppers has also helped the pass rush immensely which makes all DB's look better. But mainly its Clay in and Hawk out.
    +1

I've had that same discussion with other fans. It never ended well. I totally agree that his overall value is so much more now that he is being asked to do more than rush almost all of the time.

Raji being back makes the DL rotation better.
    Raji having found the fountain of youth, and playing like he did in 2010 makes it even better.

Jayrone Elliot has simple made plays, even big plays. The kinds of plays that influence outcomes. I don't know if he can continue to do it, but so far it has made a difference.

Nick Perry being healthy (apparently) has made an effect. He has made at least one play of note in every game, even with relatively limited snaps.

Pass defense from middle linebackers through the first 4 games is much, much better than it was last year.

DBs are playing well, with no drop off from last year. The rookies so far have not played like rookies.

All true, but I would start with Peppers being a threat beyond any other pass rusher they previously employed opposite Matthews.

But your points are still relevant since even Peppers presence didn't lead to a lot of Clay sacks until he moved into the middle.

Neal was healthy last year (mostly) and this year he and Perry are healthy. Plus Elliot. Plus a healthy Jones.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

One of McGinn's big contributions from the last few years were the numbers he had on Clay beating Tackles for sacks since his rookie year. It was a small percentage of his pressures. Bobble is right, he is better being everywhere.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by deake View Post
    Not sure of how good we are, haven't really shut down anyone of real accord yet. Chicago ran up and down the field pretty well.
    Yes, we struggled corralling Forte but we did contain Lynch, Charles and Hyde and these guys are no slouches.