Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: The Defense and its improvement. Why?

Allen is the kind of WR who gives every DB fits.

From a holistic standpoint; Raji and other important cogs out of the defense, the offense greatly depleted, I'm not overly concerned about this game. The other team is paid, Rivers is a good QB, Allen is legit as is Gates. Does anyone think the game would have been this close had Raji been on the field?

Quote Originally Posted by George Cumby View Post
    From a holistic standpoint; Raji and other important cogs out of the defense, the offense greatly depleted, I'm not overly concerned about this game. The other team is paid, Rivers is a good QB, Allen is legit as is Gates. Does anyone think the game would have been this close had Raji been on the field?
    This game wasn't close. We won by a TD. We have won every game by at least a TD. Still can't win a close one, this team blows!
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

bobble, I know you were trying to be funny but we were 3 yards away from OT on Sunday but a big play by Peppers and Randall saved the day.

Quote Originally Posted by Pugger View Post
    Allen is the kind of WR who gives every DB fits.
    Sam didn't seem to jam him at the line, I would think with the short passing game, jaming him at the line would have thrown off the timing. Maybe a change to Gunter who seemed to do well in press coverage would have worked?

Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
    This game wasn't close. We won by a TD. We have won every game by at least a TD. Still can't win a close one, this team blows!
    Quote Originally Posted by Pugger View Post
    bobble, I know you were trying to be funny but we were 3 yards away from OT on Sunday but a big play by Peppers and Randall saved the day.
    He's just tweaking Bedard and Silverstein, I don't think Bobble thinks they were winning going away.

But it should also be noted once again Packers failed to come from behind to win.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Quote Originally Posted by deake View Post
    Sam didn't seem to jam him at the line, I would think with the short passing game, jaming him at the line would have thrown off the timing. Maybe a change to Gunter who seemed to do well in press coverage would have worked?
    You think Gunter is better at press coverage than the guys the packers have out there? OK

Still, I think it was a strategic decision that failed. Go man up, but play off to avoid the big play, and allow for doubling of Gates or whomever. None of it really worked.

Allen getting dinged up was a stroke of luck, otherwise he catches 20 for 250.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

I think 3irty1 is right, you have to rush no more than 4, 3 when its 3rd and long. Then you play 3 or 4 men in the under area in zone to knock the bejesus out of any crossing route.

But the coverage must be disguised, or they will switch the routes.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Rand, do you think any of the other corners are near as good at jamming off the line than Gunter? Because other than Gunter they're basically incapable of accomplishing a jam.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Quote Originally Posted by smuggler View Post
    Rand, do you think any of the other corners are near as good at jamming off the line than Gunter? Because other than Gunter they're basically incapable of accomplishing a jam.
    I dunno really, but I suspect so.

I think it's obvious that the coaches don't want the db's to jam/bump and run. But it looks like more than that. Like they are having them lay off to prevent the deep ball.

If they do that, SD or anyone else should just run the same pattern over and over and pick up 5-8 yards every play. If you counter by rushing 3, you can drop guys into those passing lanes maybe and get some knock downs or tips, but the danger is having all day to throw which allows for double even triple moves. An accurate QB with an arm will tear that crap apart.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Quote Originally Posted by deake View Post
    Was at the game, looks like the D has a little work to do yet. Play after play Allen had seperation from Sam. It reminded me of the Bears game.
    Looks like the D still needs a little work, lack of a pass rush exposed the rookie corners. On the plus side they should improve as the season goes along.