Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: McGinn trashes Packer leaders, Rob Davis, Packers fans and WI media

McGinn trashes Packer leaders, Rob Davis, Packers fans and WI media

He complains about the Packers taking a holier than thou attitude.
    Isn't he taking that for himself in this piece?

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packe...339139291.html

Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    He complains about the Packers taking a holier than thou attitude.
    Isn't he taking that for himself in this piece?

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packe...339139291.html

Davis does sound like an asshole.

McGinn can be one of the first casualties in the newspaper merger. No great loss.

Quote Originally Posted by Rastak View Post
    Davis does sound like an asshole.
    Maybe, but again we are hearing only one side of the incident. One version is seldom accurate in trial testimony by actual witnesses, even less in third party opinion writing. Davis may have done something, likely not as sinister as McGinn's description.

As a Vikings fan the only thing that was real interesting to me was the source on Guion (true, not sure of course) who said Zimmer came in and determined he was both a turd and a dummy and said "not on my defense", so to speak and he was cut. I have to admit I was a little surprised because he'd flash a great play here and there but was REALLY inconsistent.

Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    Maybe, but again we are hearing only one side of the incident. One version is seldom accurate in trial testimony by actual witnesses, even less in third party opinion writing. Davis may have done something, likely not as sinister as McGinn's description.

Not sure even what McGinn described was sinister.....just kind of low class. Like you said, it's just the two guys stories I presume. Maybe Davis shook his hand and asked him out for a beer.

"Enabling players is a way of life across the league. Where once a failed drug test for marijuana in college was an enormous red flag, teams couldn't compete today if they erased everyone with a positive test on their résumé"

Edit, just added that quote from McGinn. He's 100% right, just ask Jerry Jones....who wants to sign Greg Hardy to an extension after all the shit he's tied to fights with a coach on the sideline.

Not sure even what McGinn described was sinister.....just kind of low class. Like you said, it's just the two guys stories I presume. Maybe Davis shook his hand and asked him out for a beer.
    All depends on one's understanding of sinister, I guess. Whatever it is that McGinn described, I doubt Davis' actions were as "whatever" as McGinn described it.

Besides, McGinn's primary purpose these days seems to be trying to show up the Packers whenever possible, whether it is drafting, signing, management, game plans, anything they do. In my opinion, his own "better than thou" attitude has tainted his writing. I take all his "stories" with a grain of salt, especially when he centers a story around a statement of "I would have...." or "I would not have..." The Packers, WI media, the fans; he trashed all of them in this article.

The Packers have never been short of questionable characters. They are common on rosters in all pro sports, not just the NFL. It has always been that way.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus

"Enabling players is a way of life across the league. Where once a failed drug test for marijuana in college was an enormous red flag, teams couldn't compete today if they erased everyone with a positive test on their résumé"
    NFL just reflects the irrationality of our society - mary jane legalization is being pushed everywhere by the same idiots who hate second-hand smoke, yet football players are supposed to be pristine. Except when they're not, which is rampant, so it's OK. lunacy.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Boy,oh boy. Ol' Bobby's got an axe to grind, doesn't he?

No surprise the Pack takes on some questionable characters. all teams do. As Bobby Boy says, a team of choir boys don't cut it. The Packers, however, do a better job than most teams of managing their bad apples. Brandon Underwood as exhibit one. Dumb shit fucks up and he's gone. That happens a lot. Had Algeria gotten the DUI while in his "probationary" period, I'll bet he would have been gone, too.

The whole deal with Davis and Cohen sounds funky. McGinnns take sounds hyperbolic. Davis may have been vibing Cohen, but outright intimidation? I dunno.

Aaaaaaand it's on PFT:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...tory/#comments
    Last edited by George Cumby; 10-31-2015 at 11:42 PM.

McGinn can fuck off. For a guy who prides himself on statistics and analysis, the article is a total collection of anecdotes. He throws a bone towards the Packers at the end, vaguely mentioning more 'troubled' or permissive franchises, yet attempts no serious statistical comparison. Yet his central conclusion is that the Packers foster a 'Packer Way' front, but are no different than most teams. OK, so back it up. Right or wrong, Bob needed to have a comprehensive comparison to the league, not a string of 4-5 anecdotes from the past 5 years. Piss off Bob.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Coming soon...every Packer player gives the "Marshawn Lynch" treatment to the JS beat reporters.

Quote Originally Posted by Striker View Post
    Coming soon...every Packer player gives the "Marshawn Lynch" treatment to the JS beat reporters.
    They already don't talk to McGinn. That's why all his quotes after the game are from Ted Thompson.

Rand, it's kind of hot when you get yer panties in a wad......

A lot of Packers players have had run ins with the law (just like the rest of the NFL).

Cedric Benson, Koren Robinson, Erik Walden, Jolly, Underwood, Havner Nick Barnett, Carroll. Just to name a few.

It's a league of young men who come into sudden fame and wealth. Some make small mistakes. Some make huge mistakes. Hopefully on balance you can keep more good citizens around than bad ones. Bet small on the character risks with high ceilings and pass on the ones that would take a huge investment.

This whole thing seems like a "revenge" piece to deter any snubbing of the new guy on the block. It'll be interesting to see if there are any repercussions league wide with regards to Bob's many sources with this fun little article (and just in time to possibly feature on the SNF lead in).

Also, if that's "bullying" or "intimidation", Cohen is in the wrong line of work. Imagine what would happen if he were working the political beat?

Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    They already don't talk to McGinn. That's why all his quotes after the game are from Ted Thompson.
    I used to have a lot of respect for McGinn. A few years ago though it seemed like he decided "fuck it, I'll just write what I think is the most click bait worthy". Going from "The Packers can win without Aaron Rodgers" to "The Packers are fucked" and generally just swaying whatever way popular opinion takes him.

I'm surprised Bob didn't mention Ahman Green punching a pillow, screaming and frightening his GF.

Quote Originally Posted by George Cumby View Post
    Rand, it's kind of hot when you get yer panties in a wad......
    Are you saying I should have a cautious lip?

Holy crap that was so bad. Why would he think anyone cares what he would have done? How is that relevant? It is so obviously written with an agenda that it is hard to take any of it seriously. He did Cohen no favors with that article. Poor judgement. You'd think an experienced writer would know enough not to overstate your position and not to alienate the people you are trying to convince.

An interesting (though completely conjectured) take is that Cohen's "out of the blue" article and McGinn's follow up could be an attempt to prove to the new brass at Gannett that the Milwaukee based Packers beat reporters aren't expendable, especially since Gannett owns the GBPG and could spin off coverage to them (or vice versa) as layoffs are likely once the purchase is complete.

The Packers internal policy seems to be to allow the legal and league systems to run their course and the deal with the player themselves.. By doing this, they are consistent with their treatment of their players, somethingGoodell could take notes on.

Doing so can be frustrating; IMO, Q should have been fired for pure stupidity, but it is consistent so players (and fans)know what to expect.