Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: No more excuses for Aaron.

Quote Originally Posted by Rutnstrut View Post
    It wasn't the officiating, it was the flat, lackluster play by the offense.
    I've always thought this was bullshit. Yes, the offense played poorly. Part of that was 24 mainly, and the Lion DBs in general, being allowed to pull, grab, and armbar at will, the entire game. That was a shit performance by the officiating crew and it directly affected the integrity of the game. First time since SEA replacement refs that I felt officiating was that bad that it made the game not worth watching.
    "You're all very smart, and I'm very dumb." - Partial

It was also the polar opposite of the way the Cardinals/Seahawks game was called. The refs in the late game didn't like calling DPI (though there was at least one) according to numbers Pete Carroll had, but they led the league in illegal contact and defensive holding.

Legion of Gloom drew a LOT of flags. Two of the Cardinal drives were basically penalty shots.

Just as Baseball has gotten its umpire the game your way problem under control, the NFL has 12 different sets of rules each week.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Quote Originally Posted by SkinBasket View Post
    I've always thought this was bullshit. Yes, the offense played poorly. Part of that was 24 mainly, and the Lion DBs in general, being allowed to pull, grab, and armbar at will, the entire game. That was a shit performance by the officiating crew and it directly affected the integrity of the game. First time since SEA replacement refs that I felt officiating was that bad that it made the game not worth watching.
    It's one of those things where you never know what would have happened, but you know it affected the game. Kudos to Detroit for gaming the system - sometimes cheaters prosper...

"Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Quote Originally Posted by red View Post
    the o-line was not fine today

the couple of plays were he had time to throw and missed were anomalies
    Those "anomalies" come up quite a bit when it matters most. 2009 Missing Jennings in OT against AZ for a game winner? How bout 2 years later vs NY in the playoffs when he had Greg wide open for an easy pitch and catch TD? How about vs Seattle last year, or Denver this year, or Carolina last week with the game on the line? The guy consistently shrivels up in big moments and chokes. If you don't see that you are in denial. Not to mention he has a hand in what this team does from a schematic standpoint, the coaching staff and offense plays through him. He is as much to blame as anyone for this debacle.

Quote Originally Posted by yetisnowman View Post
    Those "anomalies" come up quite a bit when it matters most. 2009 Missing Jennings in OT against AZ for a game winner? How bout 2 years later vs NY in the playoffs when he had Greg wide open for an easy pitch and catch TD? How about vs Seattle last year, or Denver this year, or Carolina last week with the game on the line? The guy consistently shrivels up in big moments and chokes. If you don't see that you are in denial. Not to mention he has a hand in what this team does from a schematic standpoint, the coaching staff and offense plays through him. He is as much to blame as anyone for this debacle.
    Following your thorough review of all NFL quarterbacks over the past three decades, where would you rank Rodgers in big moment choke percentage? And how much of that is based on his own performance that led him to those big moments that he could then proceed to choke away. In other words, there are a lot of QBs who have choked very few times in big games simply because they weren't talented enough to get their teams to such games.
    Next, how fair are you in evaluating who is at fault for missed connections? Seems I recall there were blocking issues and other issues in some of the missed connections in the Giant's game.
    Finally, how often and how carefully do you acknowledge the opposite - the times that only Rodger's big game performances led to big game victories?

In summary, I think you have an extremely skewed view. The only thing I agree with you on is this, with modification: "He is also to blame for this debacle." How did you calculate your percent blame?
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

In Rodgers defense, in almost all of those big games he has "choked" in. His shitty defense has put him in a terrible position, had the D just played solid in most those games. ARod would never have had to pull a rabbit out of his ass. That of course was NOT the case yesterday, but definitely was in the past.

In Rodgers defense, in almost all of those big games he has "choked" in. His shitty defense has put him in a terrible position, had the D just played solid in most those games. ARod would never have had to pull a rabbit out of his ass. That of course was NOT the case yesterday, but definitely was in the past.
    He's had shortcomings in some of those games. He shoulda hit Jennings in AZ. At least two passes in the Giants game were on him. Yesterday though, was a level of badness that's not typical for him. Hope it doesn't keep trending that way.

Well out of his 11 career playoff games he has played well in 4 of them. And I feel like 4 is being generous, considering I'm counting his first first playoff game in which he had the ball in his hands, with the game on the line, and choked. I'm not arguing he's bad, just not clutch. As I said in the original post, the guy racks up gaudy numbers against lower tier teams. When he plays a good defense he almost always sucks. The gold standard in the NFL right now is Tom Brady, look at what he has done with journeymen receivers for 15 years. Look at his current makeshift O-LINE. He doesn't whine about injuries, and the o-line, and the weather, and the refs, and his strained vagina. Every week, every year, I just see the gap between these two "all time greats" widening dramatically.

The last 2 playoff losses the defense played well enough to win. We held Wilson to his worst statistical performance of his career, and Aaron couldn't outplay him. This construction of the Packers isn't designed to beat teams 12 to 10.

When he plays a good defense he almost always sucks.
    Well this is brilliant, considering that what makes a defense good, is that they stop offenses.

What's a good defense? A defense that stops Aaron Rodgers and the Packers.
    How does Aaron play against good defenses? He sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    Well this is brilliant, considering that what makes a defense good, is that they stop offenses.

What's a good defense? A defense that stops Aaron Rodgers and the Packers.
    How does Aaron play against good defenses? He sucks.
    Well in the history of the NFL, I'm sure some quarterbacks have competed well against good defenses and made some winning plays. But I guess we should never EXPECT Aaron to win a game late in the playoffs, because typically the last 4-8 teams left in the NFL postseason have some good defenses. The troubling trend this season is he and the offense are starting to make bad/mediocre defenses look great.

Aerodynamic Rat Starter
    Rodgers deserves a lot of the blame for yesterday's lost. He was bad most of the day. But why are we ridiculing his performance late? The last 10 minutes are really the only stretch where he played well.

He led a TD drive, the defense got burned. He led another TD drive, Adams dropped the 2 point conversion that would have tied it. We recover an onside kick with 32 seconds left, he gets us into field goal range. Crosby/Masthay botched it.

Did he perform poorly most of the day? Obviously. But he definitely did not "choke" at the end.

Quote Originally Posted by Airin' Rodgers View Post
    Rodgers deserves a lot of the blame for yesterday's lost. He was bad most of the day. But why are we ridiculing his performance late? The last 10 minutes are really the only stretch where he played well.

He led a TD drive, the defense got burned. He led another TD drive, Adams dropped the 2 point conversion that would have tied it. We recover an onside kick with 32 seconds left, he gets us into field goal range. Crosby/Masthay botched it.

Did he perform poorly most of the day? Obviously. But he definitely did not "choke" at the end.

The 2pt conversion throw was not accurate enough. If he leads Adams outside, it's a catch. The throw was too far inside toward the defender who knocked the ball out of his hands. It was not a drop. Last week same scenario. Game on the line, Aaron didn't make the throw he needed to make.

The 2pt conversion throw was not accurate enough. If he leads Adams outside, it's a catch. The throw was too far inside toward the defender who knocked the ball out of his hands. It was not a drop. Last week same scenario. Game on the line, Aaron didn't make the throw he needed to make.
    I'll agree the 2 point ball could have been thrown better, but it would help if the OL didn't allow immediate pressure right up the gut. Even with the throw being a little off Adams should have gone up and snagged the ball rather than try to cradle it.
    Go PACK

Quote Originally Posted by Bossman641 View Post
    I'll agree the 2 point ball could have been thrown better, but it would help if the OL didn't allow immediate pressure right up the gut. Even with the throw being a little off Adams should have gone up and snagged the ball rather than try to cradle it.
    yeah, that one play sums up the whole game nicely. lots of blame to go around

Well this is one fucking stupid thread. Thank you internet anonymity. You give a voice to the voiceless who should have remained that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Zool View Post
    Well this is one fucking stupid thread. Thank you internet anonymity. You give a voice to the voiceless who should have remained that way.
    Why is it a stupid thread? Just because some of us can see that Rodgers doesn't walk on water, doesn't mean we don't think he's a good player. Some people just choose to call things as they see them.

Quote Originally Posted by Zool View Post
    your post certainly improved it

Watching Tom Brady today, he looks much better than Rodgers even when he has a bad series. But that could be the Patriot's superior coaching.
    Do you think Rodgers is missing having a position coach that is only responsible for him and the other QBs? I'm beginning to suspect have Van Pelt in charge of both the QBs and WRs is doing neither position any favors.

Quote Originally Posted by Pugger View Post
    Do you think Rodgers is missing having a position coach that is only responsible for him and the other QBs? I'm beginning to suspect have Van Pelt in charge of both the QBs and WRs is doing neither position any favors.
    well, what we do know for sure is that he sure as hell isn't improving the chemistry between the QB's and his WR's