Thread: PAT kicking

PAT kicking

10 games into the season, and only 14 kickers have hit 100% of their extra point attempts, including one who has tried only 4, another who has tried only 7 and a third who has tried only 11. So far, 23 kickers have missed at least 1 PAT. Combined, the 23 kickers have missed 38 PATs, just over one miss for every 4 games that have been played.

In 2014, 30 0f 37 kickers made 100% from the old distance, and only 8 were missed all season, 1 miss for every 32 games played..

That one point after a touchdown is no longer a gimme.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    you love this stuff, don't you?
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    you love this stuff, don't you?
    Ya, sorta!

I wonder if this is about what was expected when the rule was changed? Just randomly watching games, I am surprised that a missed extra point has been significant so many times. Teams trading TD for TD and FG for FG don't always end up tied. A team getting FGs when the other gets a TD can end up tied, or as was proven last week, a team kicking FGs drive after drive can be a full FG up when the other misses a PAT.

Hoping for an opponent to miss a PAT in a close game is no longer so futile!

i'm surprised we haven't seen more 2 point tries

i said in the GDT, i like the new wrinkle to the game

Quote Originally Posted by red View Post

I thought that was the point. Move it back another 5 yards I say and things will get even more interesting.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Green & Gold Shades Rat HOFer channtheman's Avatar
    I thought that was the point. Move it back another 5 yards I say and things will get even more interesting.
    I agree. I think 40 yards for the extra point, and we would start seeing a much more interesting decision to go for 2 or take the "free" point.

Quote Originally Posted by red View Post

I think that will take time, but the last I saw, 2 point tries were on pace to more than double this year. I'm not sure how many are simply to "make up for" an earlier missed PAT, and how many are strategic, but Mike Tomlin went for two when he went up 6-0 in the first quarter of a game earlier this year.

Something else I meant to mention that I noticed in the Vikings game, on the first PAT attempt, the one he missed, Walsh lined it up on the left hash mark. On the second attempt, he had it on the right. He has missed a couple this year, and shows he has not figured out a routine for it yet.

I think they can pick, can't they, left hash, right hash or center?

Correct

Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    I think that will take time, but the last I saw, 2 point tries were on pace to more than double this year. I'm not sure how many are simply to "make up for" an earlier missed PAT, and how many are strategic, but Mike Tomlin went for two when he went up 6-0 in the first quarter of a game earlier this year.
    Their placekicker had totally lost it at one point; they canned him, but for a stretch in one game I think they went to all 2-point conversions or went for it on 4th down.

Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    Something else I meant to mention that I noticed in the Vikings game, on the first PAT attempt, the one he missed, Walsh lined it up on the left hash mark. On the second attempt, he had it on the right. He has missed a couple this year, and shows he has not figured out a routine for it yet.

I think they can pick, can't they, left hash, right hash or center?
    left or right hash is determined by the outcome of the all star game (pro bowl).

left or right hash is determined by the outcome of the all star game (pro bowl).
    shouldn't it be determined by the east -west shrine game?

The extra point decision will only become more interesting as we move into December and January and start playing in some conditions that make a 35 yard FG more difficult than normal up to now.
    It's such a GOOD feeling...13 TIME WORLD CHAMPIONS!!