Thread: we're going to london

we're going to london

rumor is that we're going to be playing 1 of the 4 games payed in london next season

the official announcement should happen any time now

its against the skins, and it would be a home game for them

I hate the London games. I hate Thursday games only slightly less.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    I hate the nfl leadership
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

yup, get ready for getting drunk at 9:30 in the morning

looks like the rumor was wrong

3 games have been announced, and we aren't one of them

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...on-home-games/

makes sense. i remember hearing that teams were not willing to move their games against GB because they make so much money off traveling packer fans

Quote Originally Posted by red View Post
    looks like the rumor was wrong

3 games have been announced, and we aren't one of them

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...on-home-games/

makes sense. i remember hearing that teams were not willing to move their games against GB because they make so much money off traveling packer fans
    and the Packers have argued that taking a home game away from the Green Bay area would be a huge economic blow for many, let alone a slap in the face to a double-headed season ticket holding group.

Oracle Rat HOFer Cheesehead Craig's Avatar
    London games are so stupid. I almost wish something like food poisoning or some stadium issue comes up to make teams not want to go over there.
    All hail the Ruler of the Meadow!

fantastic news!! no london!! i hate that stuff.

Maybe the Packers could agree to play an exhibition game there one of these years against the Montreal Alouettes.

Quote Originally Posted by hoosier View Post
    Maybe the Packers could agree to play an exhibition game there one of these years against the Montreal Alouettes.
    Dang, that brings back the horrible memories of the NFL Champs vs. College All-Stars game. Not pleasant.

Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    Dang, that brings back the horrible memories of the NFL Champs vs. College All-Stars game. Not pleasant.
    Considering the Packers lost...yes.
    C.H.U.D.

Senior Rat HOFer Carolina_Packer's Avatar
    http://www.footballgeography.com/nfl...neutral-sites/ (you can click on a column heading to sort)

The above link is an interesting history lesson. NFL teams used to barnstorm. I read that sometimes players used to get up to 25K to play in these neutral sites.

If you think about the sports landscape back in the 60's and early 70's, baseball was probably more of the leading sport, so you can see a publicity tour of exhibition games to grow the popularity of the sport. If you go to the link above and see some of the stops that teams made to play games, just imagine today's players doing this. Some of those places wouldn't be terribly easy to get to.

Here's some AFL vs. NFL exhibition history: http://www.remembertheafl.com/AFLNFLexhibitions.htm
    Last edited by Carolina_Packer; 11-26-2015 at 05:58 AM.
    "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." -Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Quote Originally Posted by hoosier View Post
    ALL of those London games should be exhibition games and not regular season ones.

Double post????
    Last edited by Patler; 11-26-2015 at 08:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Freak Out View Post
    Considering the Packers lost...yes.
    My point exactly. Playing a CFL team would have nothing in it for an NFL team, just as playing the college all-stars had nothing in it for the NFL. The game grew out of the time when college football was king, and it was a chance for the NFL to get exposure. By the '60s, that time was past.

The Packers loss to the college all-stars was made a bit easier for WI Packer fans, because the all-stars were lead by Badgers Ron Vander Kellen and Pat Richter and Packer to be Dave Robinson. It has also been said that the Jim Ringo trade a year later grew out of that game because Lombardi was very impressed by the play of Lee Roy Caffey in that game, and demanded that the Eagles give up Caffey for Ringo.
    Last edited by Patler; 11-26-2015 at 08:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    It has also been said that the Jim Ringo trade a year later grew out of that game because Lombardi was very impressed by the play of Lee Roy Caffey in that game, and demanded that the Eagles give up Caffey for Ringo.
    I love the way this is phrased. This is the famous Ringo trade, possibly embellished. I remember this legend well from my youth. It was a favorite story of my grandfathers.' Wiki:

The details of Ringo's trade have been the subject of speculation. For years it was said that following the 1963 season, Ringo showed up in Lombardi's office, with an agent in tow, looking to negotiate a raise. Lombardi, according to this account, was so angered that he excused himself for five minutes only to return and announce that he had traded Ringo to the Eagles. Over the years it has been suggested that that story is more fiction than fact. In reality, Lombardi had probably been negotiating a trade for some time. The Packers also traded fullback Earl Gros and received in return linebacker Lee Roy Caffey and a first-round draft pick that they would eventually use to select halfback-punter Donny Anderson. Still, the legend persists. Ringo, who played 126 consecutive games for the Packers from 1954-63, finished out his career with the Philadelphia Eagles, attending three more Pro Bowls before retiring after the 1967 season.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

its interesting to note that in the modern world where less and less fans are actually going to games, and find the at home or bar experience to be the better deal. the nfl insists on shipping games overseas instead of just growing the sport the way they grow it here in the US, on TV

basically, the nfl is greatly inconveniencing the teams and players, and pissing off their usual fan base with games that start early in the morning, when the proof out there shows the game woud be better spread by showing it on prime time TV

Quote Originally Posted by red View Post
    its interesting to note that in the modern world where less and less fans are actually going to games, and find the at home or bar experience to be the better deal. the nfl insists on shipping games overseas instead of just growing the sport the way they grow it here in the US, on TV

basically, the nfl is greatly inconveniencing the teams and players, and pissing off their usual fan base with games that start early in the morning, when the proof out there shows the game woud be better spread by showing it on prime time TV

Totally agree. You know, they could make game style changes that would greatly enhance the home viewing experience. For example, with technology and standard view screen cost and LCD/other projector costs plummeting, you could have multiple camera feeds and angles. So if as a fan, you wanted to project the fans and stadium on your walls, you could do it. For the aficionados, you could have all 22 feeds, individual player cams, iso cams, etc. in real time so people could focus on what they want to watch, just like being at the game.