Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
Rodgers liked Adams because he is as big as Nelson and so man coverage has a whale of a time getting hands on him to stop or redirect. I assume, though have no proof other than playing time, that he is better at routes and being where he is supposed to be when he is supposed to be there than Janis. That INT last night is what happens when you aren't. Rodgers doesn't complete a lot of slants to Cobb for a reason. Adams is big enough to run those, absorb contact and make the catch.

It would be good for his to start. He just isn't doing that this year with the injury, rehab and catching up to speed.

The other two players who should be helping mitigate the loss of Nelson are Monty, who was doing just that by abusing man coverage and Magical Abby, who was just recovering from last year's injury.

Someone said Ted should have gotten a vet when Nelson was injured. I am pretty sure he did that and that vet shows one of the two reasons you don't do that. He hasn't got a ton left in the tank. The other problem is likelihood of injury, which the younger players have taken care of nicely.

Monty getting re-hurt is horrible timing and might have been the most costly mistake this year. If they were pushing it by practicing early, it might cost their offense four games of ineptitude.

Someone else said Cobb is known for his hands and routes. He might be known for his hands, but he is also known for his drops. And Cobb's best routes are on broken plays.

But the culprit most easily fixed is this divide over the playbook offense and Rodger's offense that everyone was talking about in the offseason. When you have to start youngsters, that isn't helping. At this point, there aren't any youngsters left to worry about. But Monty will be back at some point I hope.

The current version of the no huddle also has to go. I think this is the loss that will compel M3 to change up the offense, junk the offseason plan and go back to basics of design. As someone else said, they have fixed the run game to some degree. Time for the same work on the passing game.
McCarthy really doesn't have very many bullets left in his gun. In 2010 we were hit with a similar group of injuries and didn't start coming together as a team until the last few games. If I remember correctly, the NFC that year was pretty weak. We went in as a number 6 seed and ended up winning the Super Bowl. It's kind of eerie how similar this season is to that one. There's still a lot of football to be played in December. Maybe Montgomery and Abrederis coming back allows us to adjust the offense to a 4 wide look with 2 slot receivers, similar to New England. Maybe the light comes on for Adams. It will be interesting.