Quote Originally Posted by denverYooper View Post
Nelson would sure help.

M3 did a lot of tinkering in an effort to help the whole team improve but maybe the new structure is backfiring.
Too much tinkering, perhaps, but I'd settle for players doing their job. I think we did rely on Nelson a lot to keep the passing game opened up downfield. With nobody even close to being the replacement for his skill set, the Packers are looking all too familiar to teams defending them, and the WR's are not defeating man coverage. Jordy can defeat man coverage on most plays, which means that defenses are going to send help to cover him, which means it was easier for others to get open.

Adams getting hurt did not help in his development. He looks to have regressed; perhaps a sophomore slump. Abby is hurt all the time, Montgomery getting hurt takes away a promising young weapon, Jones has lost a step, and Cobb has had issues getting open, which is surprising. I figured if there was one guy who could consistently get open in this receiving corps it would be him.

Jordy has been hurt all season. The Packers were 6-0 without him. What have defenses figured out and shut down that Packers were able to do earlier in the season? It's surprising to go from being 6-0 to having a 1-4 November. Part of me wishes the season was just over, because it seems inevitable that the same stuff could just rear it's head in any possible playoff game. So there it would be in big red letters. The Packers have to figure out how to generate production in the passing game without Nelson. Yes, he will be coming back next year, but they need someone else to either develop and produce in games or they need to go after a stud receiver in the draft. I'd settle for the guy who can get open vs. a guy who just looked the part.