Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
Who would have thought back in August we'd be saying the Packers would be in good shape in December if they could just get the passing game going?

How true that is. But that's why you watch; you really never can quite tell. You may be right 80% of the time, but they'll surprise you the other 20%.

I am going to Ford Field to see the game Thursday. I am reminded of the last time I went, which was in 2010. It was, like this time, fairly late in the season. The Packer defense was tough (though the Lion offense, it must be said, sucked), the ST was pretty okay, but the offense sputtered. Then, I think in the second quarter, the Lions knocked Rodgers out of the game. Matt Flynn took over, and at one point got the Pack inside the ten yard line - but then he threw a pick.

The Lions won, 10-6, I believe. As my friend and I walked out, the Lions' fans were all, all over us. That was the end of the Packers, the Lions were going to get into the playoffs, and Packers were dust. And my friend and I walked to the parking lot talking about how the Packers would surely then lose to the Patriots the following week, and that we knew, we knew, the season was over.

But you all know what happened.

And I'm not saying that's going to happen again. I'm saying that it doesn't look good, but we don't know yet for sure. This team is really frustrating, but it does not have the feel of that 2011 team. As good as that offense was, I think there was a sense here on Rats that the defense was going to be the downfall of that team. It seemed inevitable, somehow. (Though if I recall, it was the offense against the Giants that got slowed down to nothing.)

I think the defense this year is playing pretty well, and my god, if the offense could ever stop with the three-and-outs, think how much better the defense might be.

As I watched the Bears' game unfold, I could only shake my head - especially, after having four chances at the end of the game with first and goal at the eight yard line. But I have to say I blame the wide receivers. I believe A. Rodgers is getting skittish. His nightmare is what happened on the pick - he throws it where the receiver is supposed to be, but the receiver isn't there.

Jones is showing why two teams cut him. Cobb is clearly not a number one receiver. He can't seem to get open much. And Davante Adams has been so, so disappointing. What the fuck with all the drops? And it was the first I'd heard, as Chris Collingsworth reported during the game, that some of the younger players (must be Adams, right?) were more interested in their video games than game tape and preparation. I thought the guy was more mature than that. He seemed to admit in a JSO article that those remarks were aimed at him, though he said he thought he was just fine and dandy. But what a disappointment he's been this year.

And Richard Rodgers, too. Nobody was going to confuse him with Usain Bolt, but the guy reminds me of Bubba Franks - at the end of his career. Slow as molasses, and he drops like a sack of flour the minute a 180 pound defensive back hits him.

Ty Montgomery seems like he'll be out at least one or two more games, and Quarless is no savior. Man, if ever it looked like one position group could be blamed, this is it. the receivers and TE's.

The offensive line had some gaffes, sure, against the Bears, but they were, I thought, pretty good overall. The defense, the running game, the ST - all good enough. But the passing game - yikes. Why can't they get open, and why can't they catch the damn ball???