Thread: Broken-But-Not-Dead-Yet

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Senior Rat HOFer Maxie the Taxi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    That is certainly a possibility. I wrote in another thread that what we are seeing could be the start of a directional change, a precursor to a significant roster upheaval the next several years. I have long feared that Lacy could be John Brockington II, a guy who will have a 3-5 year career, then disappear.

But, I think it is just as likely that the train got derailed for some reason, and it can be back on track next year if not yet this year.

Time will tell.
    For what it's worth, a glaring shortcoming of this team is and has been at TE and I think the Packers know it. The draft this year was weak in TE talent. I heard rumors of TT looking at the FA market (Gonzalez? Graham?) but, of course, nothing happened.

Patler, do you remember earlier this year when the Packers tried out several basketball players who seemed in the Gronk mold (at least physically) but none of the tryouts panned out? That right there was a signal to me that the Packers knew a significant weakness existed at TE. I can't remember if Nelson was healthy at the time of the tryouts.
    One time Lombardi was disgusted with the team in practice and told them they were going to have to start with the basics. He held up a ball and said: "This is a football." McGee immediately called out, "Stop, coach, you're going too fast," and that gave everyone a laugh.
    John Maxymuk, Packers By The Numbers

Quote Originally Posted by Maxie the Taxi View Post
    For what it's worth, a glaring shortcoming of this team is and has been at TE and I think the Packers know it. The draft this year was weak in TE talent. I heard rumors of TT looking at the FA market (Gonzalez? Graham?) but, of course, nothing happened.

Patler, do you remember earlier this year when the Packers tried out several basketball players who seemed in the Gronk mold (at least physically) but none of the tryouts panned out? That right there was a signal to me that the Packers knew a significant weakness existed at TE. I can't remember if Nelson was healthy at the time of the tryouts.
    I agree about the TEs, and I do recall the basketball player tryouts. The guy on their practice squad didn't play in college, but was very good in HS as a basketball player. Needs weight and strength, but was good enough for the Broncos to claim him from GB at the final cutdown, when the Packers had told him they would offer a PS contract. When Denver ran into roster problems and released him a month later, the Packers brought him right back.

http://www.packersnews.com/story/spo...away/71901976/

The Packers know what they need. They've drafted a TE each of the last two years, and have brought in a bunch of prospects. Sooner or later they will find one.

Senior Rat HOFer Maxie the Taxi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    I agree about the TEs, and I do recall the basketball player tryouts. The guy on their practice squad didn't play in college, but was very good in HS as a basketball player. Needs weight and strength, but was good enough for the Broncos to claim him from GB at the final cutdown, when the Packers had told him they would offer a PS contract. When Denver ran into roster problems and released him a month later, the Packers brought him right back.

http://www.packersnews.com/story/spo...away/71901976/

The Packers know what they need. They've drafted a TE each of the last two years, and have brought in a bunch of prospects. Sooner or later they will find one.
    I really don't have a lot of confidence that they'll find one in the draft. It doesn't seem to be a high enough priority to go in 1st or 2nd round or to trade up. And despite his drafting of TE's, TT has a poor record picking a difference-maker at that position, with possible exception of Finley. FA or trade is what we need to do IMO.
    One time Lombardi was disgusted with the team in practice and told them they were going to have to start with the basics. He held up a ball and said: "This is a football." McGee immediately called out, "Stop, coach, you're going too fast," and that gave everyone a laugh.
    John Maxymuk, Packers By The Numbers

Senior Rat HOFer Carolina_Packer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxie the Taxi View Post
    I really don't have a lot of confidence that they'll find one in the draft. It doesn't seem to be a high enough priority to go in 1st or 2nd round or to trade up. And despite his drafting of TE's, TT has a poor record picking a difference-maker at that position, with possible exception of Finley. FA or trade is what we need to do IMO.
    Per WalterFootball.com, Hunter Henry from Arkansas is the only TE that grades out as a round 1. I'm always a BAP guy, so while drafting is always somewhat about need, the value has to match where the player is drafted. If that happens to grade out as a player of true need, like TE, even better.
    "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." -Daniel Patrick Moynihan