Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Broken-But-Not-Dead-Yet

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    Who would have thought back in August we'd be saying the Packers would be in good shape in December if they could just get the passing game going?

How true that is. But that's why you watch; you really never can quite tell. You may be right 80% of the time, but they'll surprise you the other 20%.

I am going to Ford Field to see the game Thursday. I am reminded of the last time I went, which was in 2010. It was, like this time, fairly late in the season. The Packer defense was tough (though the Lion offense, it must be said, sucked), the ST was pretty okay, but the offense sputtered. Then, I think in the second quarter, the Lions knocked Rodgers out of the game. Matt Flynn took over, and at one point got the Pack inside the ten yard line - but then he threw a pick.

The Lions won, 10-6, I believe. As my friend and I walked out, the Lions' fans were all, all over us. That was the end of the Packers, the Lions were going to get into the playoffs, and Packers were dust. And my friend and I walked to the parking lot talking about how the Packers would surely then lose to the Patriots the following week, and that we knew, we knew, the season was over.

But you all know what happened.

And I'm not saying that's going to happen again. I'm saying that it doesn't look good, but we don't know yet for sure. This team is really frustrating, but it does not have the feel of that 2011 team. As good as that offense was, I think there was a sense here on Rats that the defense was going to be the downfall of that team. It seemed inevitable, somehow. (Though if I recall, it was the offense against the Giants that got slowed down to nothing.)

I think the defense this year is playing pretty well, and my god, if the offense could ever stop with the three-and-outs, think how much better the defense might be.

As I watched the Bears' game unfold, I could only shake my head - especially, after having four chances at the end of the game with first and goal at the eight yard line. But I have to say I blame the wide receivers. I believe A. Rodgers is getting skittish. His nightmare is what happened on the pick - he throws it where the receiver is supposed to be, but the receiver isn't there.

Jones is showing why two teams cut him. Cobb is clearly not a number one receiver. He can't seem to get open much. And Davante Adams has been so, so disappointing. What the fuck with all the drops? And it was the first I'd heard, as Chris Collingsworth reported during the game, that some of the younger players (must be Adams, right?) were more interested in their video games than game tape and preparation. I thought the guy was more mature than that. He seemed to admit in a JSO article that those remarks were aimed at him, though he said he thought he was just fine and dandy. But what a disappointment he's been this year.

And Richard Rodgers, too. Nobody was going to confuse him with Usain Bolt, but the guy reminds me of Bubba Franks - at the end of his career. Slow as molasses, and he drops like a sack of flour the minute a 180 pound defensive back hits him.

Ty Montgomery seems like he'll be out at least one or two more games, and Quarless is no savior. Man, if ever it looked like one position group could be blamed, this is it. the receivers and TE's.

The offensive line had some gaffes, sure, against the Bears, but they were, I thought, pretty good overall. The defense, the running game, the ST - all good enough. But the passing game - yikes. Why can't they get open, and why can't they catch the damn ball???
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    In the most underreported story of the last two years, Matthews seems willing and able to be an ILB. He should win a Wilkerson for that alone. Seriously, he is wealthy and famous, he could have thrown a diva. But he instead just glared for awhile so everyone knew he wasn't happy, and played lights out.
    I almost totally agree with this. We were talking about this during the Bears game and I said that the one thing that is keeping him from being an all-pro kinda ILB is the pass coverage. My view is that he doesn't have the knack for where to go and who to cover -yet. And wouldn'tcha know it on the very next play, he got suckered outside and let the RB go free inside. Maybe it's just a matter of time, because he certainly made that critical INT in the first game. Maybe I'm asking too much too soon, or just looking at him with narrow Packer goggles. The great ILBs also miss a few I guess.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Senior Rat HOFer Maxie the Taxi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    I almost totally agree with this. We were talking about this during the Bears game and I said that the one thing that is keeping him from being an all-pro kinda ILB is the pass coverage. My view is that he doesn't have the knack for where to go and who to cover -yet. And wouldn'tcha know it on the very next play, he got suckered outside and let the RB go free inside. Maybe it's just a matter of time, because he certainly made that critical INT in the first game. Maybe I'm asking too much too soon, or just looking at him with narrow Packer goggles. The great ILBs also miss a few I guess.
    I'd rather have sacks.
    One time Lombardi was disgusted with the team in practice and told them they were going to have to start with the basics. He held up a ball and said: "This is a football." McGee immediately called out, "Stop, coach, you're going too fast," and that gave everyone a laugh.
    John Maxymuk, Packers By The Numbers

Senior Rat HOFer Carolina_Packer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    How true that is. But that's why you watch; you really never can quite tell. You may be right 80% of the time, but they'll surprise you the other 20%.

I am going to Ford Field to see the game Thursday. I am reminded of the last time I went, which was in 2010. It was, like this time, fairly late in the season. The Packer defense was tough (though the Lion offense, it must be said, sucked), the ST was pretty okay, but the offense sputtered. Then, I think in the second quarter, the Lions knocked Rodgers out of the game. Matt Flynn took over, and at one point got the Pack inside the ten yard line - but then he threw a pick.

The Lions won, 10-6, I believe. As my friend and I walked out, the Lions' fans were all, all over us. That was the end of the Packers, the Lions were going to get into the playoffs, and Packers were dust. And my friend and I walked to the parking lot talking about how the Packers would surely then lose to the Patriots the following week, and that we knew, we knew, the season was over.

But you all know what happened.

And I'm not saying that's going to happen again. I'm saying that it doesn't look good, but we don't know yet for sure. This team is really frustrating, but it does not have the feel of that 2011 team. As good as that offense was, I think there was a sense here on Rats that the defense was going to be the downfall of that team. It seemed inevitable, somehow. (Though if I recall, it was the offense against the Giants that got slowed down to nothing.)

I think the defense this year is playing pretty well, and my god, if the offense could ever stop with the three-and-outs, think how much better the defense might be.

As I watched the Bears' game unfold, I could only shake my head - especially, after having four chances at the end of the game with first and goal at the eight yard line. But I have to say I blame the wide receivers. I believe A. Rodgers is getting skittish. His nightmare is what happened on the pick - he throws it where the receiver is supposed to be, but the receiver isn't there.

Jones is showing why two teams cut him. Cobb is clearly not a number one receiver. He can't seem to get open much. And Davante Adams has been so, so disappointing. What the fuck with all the drops? And it was the first I'd heard, as Chris Collingsworth reported during the game, that some of the younger players (must be Adams, right?) were more interested in their video games than game tape and preparation. I thought the guy was more mature than that. He seemed to admit in a JSO article that those remarks were aimed at him, though he said he thought he was just fine and dandy. But what a disappointment he's been this year.

And Richard Rodgers, too. Nobody was going to confuse him with Usain Bolt, but the guy reminds me of Bubba Franks - at the end of his career. Slow as molasses, and he drops like a sack of flour the minute a 180 pound defensive back hits him.

Ty Montgomery seems like he'll be out at least one or two more games, and Quarless is no savior. Man, if ever it looked like one position group could be blamed, this is it. the receivers and TE's.

The offensive line had some gaffes, sure, against the Bears, but they were, I thought, pretty good overall. The defense, the running game, the ST - all good enough. But the passing game - yikes. Why can't they get open, and why can't they catch the damn ball???
    Injuries will challenge depth on the best of receiving corps, but as it's turning out Jordy's injury is causing a chain reaction to the production that would normally be seen from the other receivers. They are all more open when the defense is forced to commit a safety over the top. Also, the way the team is built really commits them to relying on first and second year guys for depth, which as it's turning out can be a mixed bag. We can all agree that there are too many injuries and that's tough. The litany of injuries just sucks, including receivers. I'm not saying they'd be awesome all their guys, save for Jordy's pre-season injury, but I would like to see a full, injury-free season of Cobb (AC Joint out of camp), Adams (ankle for several weeks), Montgomery (ankle for several weeks), Quarless (IR-DTR), Abbrederis (this kid is snake-bitten, but a promising route runner). I wish they would open up opportunities for Janis down the field to try and take the top off the defense and at least threaten to use him, and Jones is just going to be week to week good and possibly Houdini. That's not just Jordy going down for the season. That's a lot to overcome. This is probably worst-case scenario for the receiving corps. Hypothetically, if all those guys, aside from Jordy, had been able to stay healthy and be in a solid rotation and develop a rhythm, they might not have the passing game woes they are experiencing. As for TE, I still think TT and company put too much faith in Richard Rodgers, but chain reaction-wise, I guess Quarless going down might have put too much pressure on Rodgers to be the #1 option and he's just a second year guy. Draft and develop giveth and draft and develop taketh away. Injuries suck!
    "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." -Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Quote Originally Posted by Carolina_Packer View Post
    Injuries will challenge depth on the best of receiving corps, but as it's turning out Jordy's injury is causing a chain reaction to the production that would normally be seen from the other receivers. They are all more open when the defense is forced to commit a safety over the top. Also, the way the team is built really commits them to relying on first and second year guys for depth, which as it's turning out can be a mixed bag. We can all agree that there are too many injuries and that's tough. The litany of injuries just sucks, including receivers. I'm not saying they'd be awesome all their guys, save for Jordy's pre-season injury, but I would like to see a full, injury-free season of Cobb (AC Joint out of camp), Adams (ankle for several weeks), Montgomery (ankle for several weeks), Quarless (IR-DTR), Abbrederis (this kid is snake-bitten, but a promising route runner). I wish they would open up opportunities for Janis down the field to try and take the top off the defense and at least threaten to use him, and Jones is just going to be week to week good and possibly Houdini. That's not just Jordy going down for the season. That's a lot to overcome. This is probably worst-case scenario for the receiving corps. Hypothetically, if all those guys, aside from Jordy, had been able to stay healthy and be in a solid rotation and develop a rhythm, they might not have the passing game woes they are experiencing. As for TE, I still think TT and company put too much faith in Richard Rodgers, but chain reaction-wise, I guess Quarless going down might have put too much pressure on Rodgers to be the #1 option and he's just a second year guy. Draft and develop giveth and draft and develop taketh away. Injuries suck!

Good post. You're right: had Adams and Montgomery not had those bad ankle sprains, Nelson's injury would've been less noticeable, though it would still have been an issue.

But I'm disappointed in Adams's shitty hands and what sounds like, if Arod is to be believed, a lack of preparation. All we heard about before was what a professional, dedicated kid Adams was. But no, apparently.

But now when I watch DickRod play, and I think that he was the same third round draft pick as Finley was, I see a guy who seems to have been way overdrafted. He's slow, slow, slow, and gets knocked down so easily that my mom could tackle him. And he's not even a good blocker, apparently. So what the heck?

Now it looks like Montgomery's going to be out possibly for the year. That's some serious bad news. He had a knack for getting open short - more than you can say about any other Packer receiver at this point.

Crazy shit, man. Crazy.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    Now it looks like Montgomery's going to be out possibly for the year. That's some serious bad news.
    If Abby can get and stay healthy, they'll be OK.

Sorry, sometimes I really crack myself up. Was sounding like "Tausch"

We ain't broke, but we're badly bent

Quote Originally Posted by Maxie the Taxi View Post
    I'd rather have sacks.
    "Balls, balls!" cried the queen
    "If I had two I'd be the king."

ZING!

Quote Originally Posted by Harlan Huckleby View Post

ZING!
    It's still a little early to be reduced to jokering around. It ain't over yet. We'll just see Abby rise up from the injured rib pile and be a star on Thursday.

Or something. I'm going to the game, so I gotta hope for something good.

KYPack

Speaking of the injured rib pile, did anyone see that the official who had the inadvertent whistle in the NE-Buffalo game was the same one who got run over and broke nine ribs earlier this season? I'm amazed he came back at all but his skittishness is probably a good indicator that he should have stayed home or tried out for the Packers.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Quote Originally Posted by Harlan Huckleby View Post

ZING!
    It's one sack and two balls, Harlan. You must be out of practice.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Quote Originally Posted by hoosier View Post
    Speaking of the injured rib pile, did anyone see that the official who had the inadvertent whistle in the NE-Buffalo game was the same one who got run over and broke nine ribs earlier this season? I'm amazed he came back at all but his skittishness is probably a good indicator that he should have stayed home or tried out for the Packers.
    Yeah, he overreacted a tad. He wasn't even in danger (ref saw Rex well before they would have made contact and the play was not near him on the sideline) but was obviously eager to make the call.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.