Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Lions Week II

Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    It could happen when (if) they decide to activate Quarless. They will need a roster spot for him.

Kind of a crummy trade-off. Not what anyone was hoping, I don't think.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    Kind of a crummy trade-off. Not what anyone was hoping, I don't think.
    But it does make some sense, if Abbrederis is ready to go. It would be very unlikely for them to have more than 5 WRs active on game days. Janus seems to have the kick return job in hand, and is very valuable for KO and punt coverage teams. Abbrederis is #4 over anyone they might sign, so there is little use for another WR at this point. Cobb, Adams and Jones aren't going anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    But it does make some sense, if Abbrederis is ready to go. It would be very unlikely for them to have more than 5 WRs active on game days. Janus seems to have the kick return job in hand, and is very valuable for KO and punt coverage teams. Abbrederis is #4 over anyone they might sign, so there is little use for another WR at this point. Cobb, Adams and Jones aren't going anywhere.

Oh, I agree. It does make a lot of sense. I just meant that I think most people were hoping Montgomery would come back in another two games, and that adding Quarless would mean that for the last three or so games you'd have both Montgomery and Quarless back to try to get the passing game going.

I suppose the hope now is that Abbrederis can play and not be injured every fourth play, and that Quarless can at least be a steadying, slightly-better option than Richard "Sack of Flour" Rodgers.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Senior Rat HOFer Carolina_Packer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    Oh, I agree. It does make a lot of sense. I just meant that I think most people were hoping Montgomery would come back in another two games, and that adding Quarless would mean that for the last three or so games you'd have both Montgomery and Quarless back to try to get the passing game going.

I suppose the hope now is that Abbrederis can play and not be injured every fourth play, and that Quarless can at least be a steadying, slightly-better option than Richard "Sack of Flour" Rodgers.
    Do the Packers ever use two TE sets (either 2, 12 or 22 personnel)? If the healthy WR options are limited and Q is coming back, I wonder if they would run more 2 or 12 personnel with Quarless and Rodgers. If they would run 12 personnel with the 1 back, they could still threaten to run or pass out of that set. I just don't know if they run this much. Anyone know?

This article is a few years old and does reference some of the ways each set can be used: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...nnel-groupings
    "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." -Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Quote Originally Posted by Carolina_Packer View Post
    Do the Packers ever use two TE sets (either 2, 12 or 22 personnel)? If the healthy WR options are limited and Q is coming back, I wonder if they would run more 2 or 12 personnel with Quarless and Rodgers. If they would run 12 personnel with the 1 back, they could still threaten to run or pass out of that set. I just don't know if they run this much. Anyone know?

This article is a few years old and does reference some of the ways each set can be used: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...nnel-groupings
    Last year the Packers TE's played on the following percentage of snap counts:

Perrillo 1%
    Quarless 60%
    Bostick 3%
    Taylor 1%
    Rodgers 45.5%

So they had to have used 2 TE's at least 10% of the time. Probably more since there were likely snaps where they used 0 TE's.

Stu Courtney ‏@Stucourt 14m14 minutes ago
    WR Ty Montgomery out, CB Damarious Randall and both #Packers centers among those questionable for #Lions game: http://pck.rs/1QeTVdw
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Stu Courtney ‏@Stucourt 14m14 minutes ago
    WR Ty Montgomery out, CB Damarious Randall and both #Packers centers among those questionable for #Lions game: http://pck.rs/1QeTVdw
    I just read about Tretter on another site. Supposedly if he or Linsley can't go at center, Lang will have to fill in there.

Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by Rutnstrut View Post
    I just read about Tretter on another site. Supposedly if he or Linsley can't go at center, Lang will have to fill in there.
    And Rodgers thought he was running for his life the last few weeks. Wait till tomorrow.

I think at this point in the Packer's season, if they are questionable and on the OL or a WR they pretty much HAVE to play.

The Nate Palmer watch begins. Light a candle.

Bob's prescription?

Fire some players. You think you are hurt Cobb? Watch me cut James Jones. That'll heal you right up.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packe...360085831.html

Funny. Bob was singing hosannas about Nowak prior to Week 1.

Bob's prescription?

Fire some players. You think you are hurt Cobb? Watch me cut James Jones. That'll heal you right up.

An evenhanded article would point out that what Thompson is doing now is the same thing he was doing as he built this team into a Super Bowl Champion. Not that the other way can't work. There's just more than one way to maintain a roster.

Bob's prescription?

IF the Packers have success this season, there will be a McGinn article about the wisdom of steering a steady ship and not panicking.

Of course, McSpinn would like us to guess who those seven guys are whom he thinks should be cut. But what I'd like to know is which seven players Bob knows are out there, available, and better than what's on the roster.

Or is the point simply to create fear? I'm not sure. He held Wolf up as a model, but Wolf didn't cut people just to cut people - he was constantly turning over the bottom of the roster to try to upgrade. I'm not sure any of those cuts ever scared Mike Wahle into playing harder. Then McSpinn held up the Dom Capers/Barry Foster example of just cutting someone in order to produce an effect.

So, I'm not sure what he's after, exactly - cutting guys to create fear, or cutting guys because there are better guys out there.

KYPack

Bob says 2 are starters. Any guesses? I'll go with Richard Rodgers and Nate Palmer.

I'd be on board with benching both of them. But not cutting them. Unless there's a guy on the street who is magically better.

KYPack

Cleaning house in December would be very odd timing. There is a shortage of players.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Quote Originally Posted by bungalow bob
    Fear of being fired drives people in every walk of life. It's a motivational technique that no longer applies in Green Bay, and the franchise is worse off for it.
    Bostick? Geez Bob, I didn't even have to think for more than a second to find a flaw in your brilliant hypothesis. It's just that the Packers don't do it like they are on the Apprentice because, well, that gets you hated by players and scouts and other managers and just about everyone.

Plus, we find it's always better to fire people on a Friday. Studies have statistically shown that there's less chance of an incident if you do it at the end of the week.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Quote Originally Posted by cocksucker
    That isn't surprising. Thompson himself hung around the Oilers for a decade as a backup. Each summer, we hear Thompson and McCarthy go on and on about their feelings of trauma associated with telling players they no longer have a place on the Packers.

Forgive me for not requesting Kleenex. Welcome to the real world.
    McGinn has totally gone off the deep end.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck