Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: McCarthy Takes Back Playcalling

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    Maybe that friction wasn't such a bad thing, and maybe having the QB and playcaller close wasn't such a good thing.
    2nd time in a row responding to your post - we must be on the same wavelength today!

I was thinking the same, the playcaller and guy receiving the plays maybe shouldn't be too buddy buddy. Brent's best years were when Holmgren was calling plays, and cussing him out for taking stupid chances, not when Sherman was fetching him coffee. Rodger's makes mistakes like the rest of them, 2-time MVP or not, it's not a good thing if after doing something wrong, the response is 'there there, we'll get them next time'
    --
    Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...

Quote Originally Posted by denverYooper View Post
    Hoody took McDaniels back after he failed as an HC.
    He did, but two years later when he had an opening because O'Brien took the Penn State job.
    If MM were to rehire Philbin, somebody needs to go.

Quote Originally Posted by denverYooper View Post
    Hoody took McDaniels back after he failed as an HC.
    Ya, but Philbin never called plays in GB, did he?
    --

Senior Rat HOFer Maxie the Taxi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Might not have been you, but there are LOTS of threads we can bump that call for M3's head because of his play calling.

Just another example of careful what you wish for.

Or you don't know how good you have it.
    I definitely wanted Stubby to give up playcalling, especially after the debacle in the playoff game. My main reason was I thought game management was suffering without full-time someone's attention to it. I even suggested a strategy czar and Stubby calling plays, if memory serves. But really, I don't believe game management has improved much either with Stubby in charge.

Yeah, I know be careful what you wish for, but even so I'm willing to take full responsibility for the current clusterf*ck in GB.
    One time Lombardi was disgusted with the team in practice and told them they were going to have to start with the basics. He held up a ball and said: "This is a football." McGee immediately called out, "Stop, coach, you're going too fast," and that gave everyone a laugh.
    John Maxymuk, Packers By The Numbers

Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    He did, but two years later when he had an opening because O'Brien took the Penn State job.
    If MM were to rehire Philbin, somebody needs to go.
    There would be an opening if Clements can't stay (or see himself staying).
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxie the Taxi View Post
    I definitely wanted Stubby to give up playcalling, especially after the debacle in the playoff game. My main reason was I thought game management was suffering without full-time someone's attention to it. I even suggested a strategy czar and Stubby calling plays, if memory serves. But really, I don't believe game management has improved much either with Stubby in charge.

Yeah, I know be careful what you wish for, but even so I'm willing to take full responsibility for the current clusterf*ck in GB.
    I do think someone should be in the booth making the strategic clock and challenge calls.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Senior Rat HOFer Maxie the Taxi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by red View Post
    i seriously doubt that tubby calling the plays is gonna fix the problems with the bad throws, the piss poor blocking, the shitty routes run or the fumbles from the rb's

i think this is a sign of desperation from m3, cause he can't find anything else to blame (since he won't blame himself for the staff he put together and kept, or his scheme doesn't work when the #1 WR goes down, the fact that his team rarely looks prepared to play, or that he can't make adjustments, or that he cant figure out how not to piss away timeouts, or that he doesn't understand the term "clock management")

people can blsme clements all they want, but he was running tubbys system and you know damn well m3 hand plenty of say in what was run and done
    C'mon, red, those are just details and Stubby's fixing them.
    One time Lombardi was disgusted with the team in practice and told them they were going to have to start with the basics. He held up a ball and said: "This is a football." McGee immediately called out, "Stop, coach, you're going too fast," and that gave everyone a laugh.
    John Maxymuk, Packers By The Numbers

There would be an opening if Clements can't stay (or see himself staying).
    An opening for what? If Clements is no longer responsible for the game plan and play calling, what is his job? He has none that I can determine, so what would you hire Philbin to do? Bennett is doing what Philibin did when he was here.

An opening for what? If Clements is no longer responsible for the game plan and play calling, what is his job? He has none that I can determine, so what would you hire Philbin to do? Bennett is doing what Philibin did when he was here.
    If McCarthy decides to keep calling plays and constructing the game plan, I don't think he reduces the number of coaches. I think he redistributes the jobs among three people again.

He left the play calling gig to have more time elsewhere. He would actually have LESS time than last year if he doesn't retain Clements spot.

I called it! There was NO WAY that McCarthy was going to continue on letting the other morons calling plays! It is about time he took control back! -Guiness' Girlfriend! (Yep got him booze again so he let me near the laptop once again! )
    --

If McCarthy decides to keep calling plays and constructing the game plan, I don't think he reduces the number of coaches. I think he redistributes the jobs among three people again.

He left the play calling gig to have more time elsewhere. He would actually have LESS time than last year if he doesn't retain Clements spot.
    So Bennett loses the OC gig?

I suppose he could do like some have, and have a running game coordinator (Bennett) and a passing game coordinator (Clements); but in effect it is a demotion for each. That might not sit too well with either one. Interesting management situation could come up in the off season.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Quote Originally Posted by Guiness View Post
    I called it! There was NO WAY that McCarthy was going to continue on letting the other morons calling plays! It is about time he took control back! -Guiness' Girlfriend! (Yep got him booze again so he let me near the laptop once again! )

lol. Almost as much fun as when Torrance Marsahall's 'GF' was posting...
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Quote Originally Posted by red View Post
    i seriously doubt that tubby calling the plays is gonna fix the problems with the bad throws, the piss poor blocking, the shitty routes run or the fumbles from the rb's

i think this is a sign of desperation from m3, cause he can't find anything else to blame (since he won't blame himself for the staff he put together and kept, or his scheme doesn't work when the #1 WR goes down, the fact that his team rarely looks prepared to play, or that he can't make adjustments, or that he cant figure out how not to piss away timeouts, or that he doesn't understand the term "clock management")

people can blsme clements all they want, but he was running tubbys system and you know damn well m3 hand plenty of say in what was run and done
    How many brews/shots you put down already? These late games must be murder on the liver.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

So Bennett loses the OC gig?

I suppose he could do like some have, and have a running game coordinator (Bennett) and a passing game coordinator (Clements); but in effect it is a demotion for each. That might not sit too well with either one. Interesting management situation could come up in the off season.
    Its kind of a mess, but so is the current structure. A lot will depend on whether M3 decides the structure was positive with the exception of the play calling.

Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    How many brews/shots you put down already? These late games must be murder on the liver.
    nothing yet, but i'm getting itchy

Last spring, buth Murphy and Thompson seemed doubtful that it was wise for McCarthy to give up play calling, but said it was his decision and they would support it. They also asked him to think about it for a couple days before enacting the change. I wonder if they put any pressure on him to take the job back?

we went from blow to suck when he gave up playcalling duties

when he feels that the new guy calling the plays is sucking just as bad as he was blowing, then maybe after m3 blows for the rest of the season as bad as clements was sucking, someone in the organization will figure out that maybe the guy who blows actually sucks

Well, they're moving the ball and scoring in the first half. Maybe the change is helping with consistency of somethingorother.

#smallsamplesizes
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro ~Hunter S.

Was this the first game this season without a stupid timeout because they couldn't get the play in fast enough? Looked much more "oiled" today.
    Love the commitment to the run.