Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread: McCarthy Takes Back Playcalling

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    I would prefer they do anything they can to get Edgar back in front of the WRs.
    Ya, something seems wrong with that group this year. The story was that Bennett was a fanatic about fumbles with the RBs and dropped passes and blocking for the WRs. The WRs look like they need more attention to detail.

Quote Originally Posted by King Friday View Post
    Really? We were averaging more than that against Chicago, but the OC decided to throw, throw, throw, throw, throw.
    Still much easier if you are doing well, and big plays help. They had three TDs from some distance on runs (Starks was from 30). Only Lacy's TD was a run in close red zone.

I thought they were far too worried about the clock on their last trip versus the Bears.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

An interesting aspect to this too is that maybe Clements real talent lies upstairs, relaying quality info to MM. Maybe Clements suffered as a play caller because he didn't have Clements as his eye in the sky. Maybe the change upstairs a few weeks ago wasn't really for Rodgers benefit, but to try someone else upstairs instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxie the Taxi View Post
    I definitely wanted Stubby to give up playcalling, especially after the debacle in the playoff game. My main reason was I thought game management was suffering without full-time someone's attention to it. I even suggested a strategy czar and Stubby calling plays, if memory serves. But really, I don't believe game management has improved much either with Stubby in charge.

Yeah, I know be careful what you wish for, but even so I'm willing to take full responsibility for the current clusterf*ck in GB.
    I wasn't thrilled with Mac's decision to give up play calling. I guess you don't know what you have until it is taken/yielded away.

Quote Originally Posted by mission View Post
    Was this the first game this season without a stupid timeout because they couldn't get the play in fast enough? Looked much more "oiled" today.
    Love the commitment to the run.
    I don't know if was the first game but that screwing around as the play clock ran drove me crazy this year. Only one time did we have to waste a TO yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    I would prefer they do anything they can to get Edgar back in front of the WRs.
    I hear ya. I say give the OC job back to Clements, let Van Pelt work the QBs and Edgar the WRs. I've never been a fan of Van Pelt in charge of both QBs and Wrs.

A pretty good, if short, article but the impact of MM's playcalling Sunday.

http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2015/12/14/g...-aaron-rodgers

McCarthy’s impact was evident from the outset. On second-and-six on Green Bay’s second drive, he called an off-tackle split-zone run for Eddie Lacy out of a two-back set with Randall Cobb motioning to an offset wing position. Lacy’s run gained 18 yards. Two plays later, on second-and-eight, the Packers showed the exact same formation (including Cobb’s motion) and did play-action off the same run look, this time with James Starks. The play was designed to hit Cobb on a rollout in the flat; after some hesitation, Rodgers did, for four yards.
    It wasn’t a big gain, but the concept was what’s important. McCarthy was “building offense”—calling plays that worked off previous plays and that set up future plays. It’s what good offenses do and, frankly, it wasn’t common enough under Clements, where the Packers seemed to run one isolated play after another.

Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    An opening for what? If Clements is no longer responsible for the game plan and play calling, what is his job? He has none that I can determine, so what would you hire Philbin to do? Bennett is doing what Philibin did when he was here.
    Well, I did see Julius Peppers looking around for someone with a water bottle during a timeout.

And I think the laundry unit needs someone in quality control.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack