Thread: Stupidly Early Mock Draft

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Senior Rat HOFer Carolina_Packer's Avatar
    At what position do you project these two LB prospects and would you be interested in them if you were TT?

Kentrell Brothers/Missouri: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7j0NBU0zqS0

Myles Jack/UCLA: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XSz3Lz9zvk Good athlete!
    "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." -Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Quote Originally Posted by Carolina_Packer View Post
    At what position do you project these two LB prospects and would you be interested in them if you were TT?

Kentrell Brothers/Missouri: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7j0NBU0zqS0

Myles Jack/UCLA: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XSz3Lz9zvk Good athlete!
    I looked at Jack a little bit, but he seems to be rated high enough that he will likely be gone by the time we pick. CBSSportsline has him at #5 overall, Scouts, Inc. has him at #7.

Brothers on the other hand, CBS has him at #55 overall - I think that is way too high for him. I see him as too much of a plodder. He just isn't quick-twitch enough, has short arms... I see him as being pretty pedestrian.
    wist

Quote Originally Posted by wist43 View Post
    I looked at Jack a little bit, but he seems to be rated high enough that he will likely be gone by the time we pick. CBSSportsline has him at #5 overall, Scouts, Inc. has him at #7.

Brothers on the other hand, CBS has him at #55 overall - I think that is way too high for him. I see him as too much of a plodder. He just isn't quick-twitch enough, has short arms... I see him as being pretty pedestrian.
    It looks to me as if Myles Jack will go TOP TEN.

He'll likely be the first LBer off the board.

One mock I looked at had him being picked by San Fran @ NO. 7.

Here's a Grade by the Pittsburgh Steelers:

Myles Jack, ILB, UCLA - 6'1", 225 lbs.

He's downgraded here due to a combination of sour grapes and the fact that we have Ryan Shazier on the team already, but make no mistake: Myles Jack will go in the top 5-10 picks and whoever gets him will celebrate.

Myles Jack and Jaylon Smith are the leaders of a movement toward ultra-athletic linebacker-safety hybrids:

Think Ryan Shazier but 10 pounds lighter and more Safety-ish. They're the ideal answer to the new breed of ultra-athletic LBers.

Jack, in particular, is well noted for his coverage skills. The talent is awesome and both are clear top 5 talents. Like Smith, Jack also suffered a year-ending knee injury; fortunately it is a relatively minor injury with a confident prognosis of full recovery after 6 months of rehab. He should be ready for training camp, and thus we can be 99.95% sure it Ain't Gonna Happen.

This goes to a gif-supported scouting report from Bob Sturm, a favorite writer in Dallas.

Kentrell Brothers/Missouri: ....Grade 3.24

6'0-1/2", 249 lbs. with 30-3/4" arms. A pure Buck ILB with tremendous instincts and a knack for getting his nose into an impossible number of tackles despite his somewhat limited physical assets.

He will be an early Day 2 value if the Steelers somehow manage to lose Lawrence Timmons instead of arranging an extension. But if Timmons comes back, the presence of Vince Williams as a more than acceptable backup severely reduces Brothers' value from the Pittsburgh point of view.

This goes to the NFL.com scouting profile. This scouting report examines Brothers' fit for the Steelers if Timmons departs.

This goes to an article published after Brothers' triumphant college season.

This is a scouting profile from our sister site for the Redskins. This is a scouting profile from a Jets-oriented site. This is a good, gif-supported scouting report from our sister site for the Jaguars. This goes to a more lukewarm scouting profile.

Watch fir this guy:

Terrance Smith, ILB/OLB, Florida State - 6'3", 234 lbs. GRADE: 4.01

Expect to hear more about Terrance Smith because he's very likely to blow up the Combine and generate "Ryan Shazier Lite" comparisons. They're not entirely unfair and Pittsburgh could do worse than to draft a kid like this in Round 4 if Sean Spence leaves in free agency.

As summarized in the NFL.com scouting profile, Smith has a High School sprinting background and uses that to great effect as a run-and-chase, sideline-to-sideline pursuer. The major flaw is that he's very inconsistent about making the actual tackle once he arrives. Good tackling is a thing you can teach, however. The native athletic ability to get to places that other men can't is a lot more rare.

BTW, if you like such trivia it's notable that Smith's father was a star college WR and that Deandre Hopkins is a cousin.

In this dual scouting profile (Terrance Smith and ** see below **.....Nick Kwiatkoski), retired NFL executive Greg Gabriel adds an excellent point: "Won't be a rookie starter but will be very good on specials while he learns."

Note that a high ankle sprain put significant dents into his 2015 film, and that he looked excellent in the Shrine Game practices before tweaking a hammy.

**Nick Kwiatkoski (quit-KOW-ski)**, ILB, West Virginia - ....GRADE - 6.01

6'1", 241 lbs. with 31-3/8" arms.

The descriptions remind you a lot of Vince Williams: a tough, hard-driving, spark-plug tackling machine who lacks only that little bit of athletic magic that turns NFL-caliber football players into NFL starters. He's a poor fit for the Steelers because Williams is already here, but I really do believe that Kwiatkoski has a future in the league.

This goes to the NFL.com scouting profile. This goes to a brief BTSC Fanpost that suggests he could expand to an Arthur Moats role in addition to being Vince Williams.

Here is a nice article from the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. This local news article describes his Senior Bowl practices as "eye catching."

GO TT GO !
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau