Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
To start, let me say I actually would be happy if he landed on the Packers as a #7. Especially in the seventh round, ever more if he was one of two seventh round picks available after trades.

But his downside is this: He never played TE in college. Despite his marvelous athletics, he had trouble making an impact at WR due to his duties as safety. So he is changing positions and is a huge project. He is probably 2 years on the PS.

He was not a truly hard nosed safety, so it remains to be seen how he takes to blocking. He has rarely blocked. Projecting him to TE right now means that teams would treat him as a WR and substitute accordingly. He would not add to the run game and we don't know if he can beat NFL coverage.

He weighs 231 pounds. He needs a minimum of 20 pounds on that frame. Maybe he gets away with fifteen (but did anyone think DJ Williams was big enough at that weight?). What does that do to his speed?

On the plus side: Put him in a cowboy hat, hope for an accelerated learning curve and he could be Jay Novacek.
All true. He's a Jeff Janis project. However, having been a QB and WR, he's likely to be a rapid learner. Moreover, I don't see the need for him to be anything other than a situational TE at the start. Use him where his height, speed and ball carrying ability can create a mismatch and complement DickRod's game. Jermichael Finley played at 6'5" 247 lbs and wasn't much of a blocker. I think McEvoy is stronger and more athletic than Finley. Probably smarter and more dedicated too. He should be able to play a Finley-type game with the Packers soon enough with work, study and experience.