Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: Stupidly Early Mock Draft

Wolf Pack Rat HOFer Deputy Nutz's Avatar
    I struggle with taking an OLB and trying to transition him to the inside in a 3-4. Maybe if you take a strongside OLB in a 4-3 defense, but not a OLB in a 3-4, they just can't do it without struggling.

Blog Entries
    TT treats the ILB position like a spare tire. He wants to get 'em with a mid pick and pay 'em middle money. Ragland for a 4-5 rookie deal might fill the bill. I saw him a couple times last year, he looks like a stud. The rap on him is over reaction and over pursuit.

Sounds like he'll fit right in.

While you may be right about Perry, just a few years ago, critics Hamed Watt for being 'too slow'.

Quote Originally Posted by Deputy Nutz View Post
    I struggle with taking an OLB and trying to transition him to the inside in a 3-4. Maybe if you take a strongside OLB in a 4-3 defense, but not a OLB in a 3-4, they just can't do it without struggling.
    I myself have made that argument - a few years gone by. The game has changed enough in the last 5-6 years though, that I don't think that is supportable anymore. 2 down LB's are going the way of the DoDo Bird.

Besides, we already have stack and shed ILB's - Ryan and Barrington. Problem is - they can't run, and they can't cover. We get absolutely killed in the middle of the field and in man coverage with our LB's. If we are in the nickel, which we more than likely will be - all a team need do is throw 3 wides out there, prompting the predictable 2-4 Capers will counter with... without cover LB's underneath, your defense is easy pickin's.

More than that - if we are going to move Matthews back outside - then that means we are back where we started with needing to find at 2 servicable ILB's not just one.

These are kinds of holes that tend to cost our team big throughout the course of a season.
    wist

I would be so fucking thrilled with Billings...

Quote Originally Posted by smuggler View Post

I would be so fucking thrilled with Billings...
    http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/p...ndrew-billings

Andrew Billings, DT

School: Baylor | Conference: BIG12
    College Experience: Junior | Hometown: Waco, TX
    Height/Weight: 6-1 / 311 lbs.

" ...... A hometown product from Waco, Billings became a full-time starting nose tackle as a sophomore in 2014 and finished third on the team leaders with 11.5 tackles for loss to go with a pair of sacks and nine quarterback hits.

West Virginia coach Dana Holgorsen said in October that "Billings is the best kid I've ever gone against."

Billings finished his junior year with a team-high 15.0 tackles for loss and 5.5 sacks, adding 40 tackles and a forced fumble. He announced on Jan. 12 that he would forego his senior season......."
    Last edited by woodbuck27; 03-22-2016 at 02:39 PM.
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2016/mock-d...eremiah/305659

[U]2016 NFL Mock Draft[/U]

Mock draft 5.0: Mock Draft Shakeup . QB Jared Goff falls to Pick NO. 15 - Rams

By Daniel Jeremiah | NFL Media analyst

Published: March 29, 2016 at 06:21 p.m.

Comment
    woodb

NFL.COM's Daniel Jeremiah's Mock informs us that [SIZE=1][COLOR="#B22222"]the Packers Pick at NO. 27 will be:

OLB Darron Lee (Ohio State) - GRADE 6.07

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2016/profil...lee?id=2555322

The first DT off the board in his Mock is Chris Jones (Miississippi State) to the Detroit Lions.

DT Sheldon Rankings is awarded to the Buffalo Bills at NO. 19

NT Andrew Billings is selected for the Washington Redskins at NO. 21

Andrew Billings is a good one. BIG - STRONG and FAST:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...erior-dlinemen

DT Jarran Reed is picked for the Cincy Bengals at NO. 24

OT Taylor Decker is picked for the Seattle Seahawks at NO. 26.

For Picks NO. 22 to NO. 28 (7 Picks) 2 CB's and 2 WR's come off the board.

This fella is special. CB Jalen Ramsey is selected at NO. 3 for the San Diego Chargers
    Last edited by woodbuck27; 03-30-2016 at 09:43 PM.
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?

Comment woodbuck27:

I've been looking at and analyzing NFL.COM's Chad Reuter's Five Round Mock.

I'll post his selections for the Green Bay Packers in this thread:

Chad Reuter

Chad Reuter has covered the NFL draft since 2000. He was hired by NFLDraftScout.com as a senior analyst in 2007, and continued in that role when NFLDraftScout and CBSSports.com formed their partnership for the 2009 draft. He joined NFL Network and NFL.com in December 2011 as a senior researcher, assisting in the production of the East-West Shrine Game, Senior Bowl, Scouting Combine and NFL Draft.

Five-round mock 5.0:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...-derrick-henry

By Chad Reuter Draft analyst NFL.COM

Published: March 28, 2016 at 04:40 PM

Note: 238 Comments

GREEN BAY PACKERS PICKS:

Rd 1, Pick 27 (27) Rd 2, Pick 26 (57) Rd 3, Pick 25 (88)

Rd 4, Pick 27 (125) Rd 4, Pick 33 (131) Rd 4, Pick 39 (137)

Rd 5, Pick 26 (163)

Rd 6, Pick 25 (200) Rd 7, Pick 27 (248)

PICK NO. 27: Jarran Reed - DT, Alabama Grade = 6.10

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...erior-dlinemen

B.J. Raji is taking a hiatus from football, so the Packers are in need of help in the interior. With his combination of strength, athleticism and foot quickness, Reed has a chance to be a long-term starter.

PICK NO.57. Kentrell Brothers, ILB, Missouri Grade = 5.56

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2016/profil...ers?id=2555168

Undersized for an inside 'backer (a potential factor in the lack of interest by major programs in his home state of Oklahoma),

Brothers recognizes plays quickly, works his way through traffic, and flows down the line very effectively as a run-stopper.

His junior year was impressive (122 total tackles as a second-team All-SEC pick in 2014), but leading the nation in tackles per game (12.7, 152 total), making more plays in the backfield (12 tackles for loss) and proving himself able to make plays against the pass (two interceptions) and ....

on special teams (three blocked kicks) made him an easy second-team All-American pick by the Associated Press and USA Today for 2015.

Pick NO. 88 Joe Schobert, OLB, Wisconsin Grade = 5.37

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2016/profil...ert?id=2555166

Wisconsin has a storied walk-on tradition, producing NFL players like J.J. Watt and Jim Leonhard; Schobert hopes to be the next non-scholarship signee to jump to the NFL. He nearly began his career at North Dakota as a walk-on, but the Badger coaches wised up to offer him a spot on the team. Schobert's role grew each season, from reserve as a true freshman to key reserve (24 tackles, one start) in 2013 to consensus honorable mention All-Big Ten pick (13.5 tackles for loss) in his junior year.

His draft stock rose to new heights in 2015, as he was named second-team All-American by USA Today and the Associated Press, as well as the Big Ten Linebacker of the Year and first-team All-Conference.

He finished among the nations leaders in sacks (9.5) and tackles for loss (19.5), displaying the strength and motor to earn a spot in the NFL

PICK NO. 125. Tyler Johnstone, OT, Oregon Grade = 4.85

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2016/profil...one?id=2555207

Johnstone suffered a knee injury in Oregon's 2013 Alamo Bowl win over Texas. He and his doctors thought an offseason of rehabbing would heal it; unfortunately, his ACL didn't agree. But after sitting out the 2014 season, Johnstone proved to be back at full strength in his senior campaign, starting every game and earning first-team All-Pac-12 honors.

Using his time off last year to add bulk might pay off in the end, as now he has strength to fend off bull rushers as well as the athleticism to handle good pass rushers on the edge.

PICK NO.131. (compensatory selection): Eric Murray, CB, Minnesota Grade = 5.42

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2016/profil...ray?id=2555173

Murray's size, durability (started 39 straight games) and physical nature should land him near the top of NFL teams' cornerback wish list.

The 2014 second-team and 2015 third-team All-Big Ten selection's experience in press man coverage is extensive, and his ball skills are good enough to make plays (two interceptions, 24 pass break-ups) when given the opportunity.

He stepped up his play as a senior, making more plays behind the line (four tackles for loss) and lining up ball carriers for the big hit, forcing three fumbles.

He's also a special-teams stalwart who blocked two punts in 2014, which will only increase his impact as a rookie on Sundays.

PICK NO.137. (compensatory selection): Matthew Ioannidis, DE, Temple Grade = 5.57

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2016/profil...dis?id=2555240

Ioannidis (eye-an-NYE-dis) has been a valuable performer from the Owls since halfway through his freshman year, when the team took off his redshirt.

Whether lined up outside or inside, his power and hustle impact nearly every play.

The 2014 second-team All-American Athletic Conference pick (11 tackles for loss, 3.5 sacks) and 2015 first-team All-Conference pick in 2015 (11.5 tackles for loss, 3.5 sacks, five pass breakups) has added bulk to his frame every season.

PICK NO. 163. Joe Dahl, OG, Washington Grade = 5.52

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2016/profil...ahl?id=2555136

After spending one year at the University of Montana and another sitting out as a transfer student, Dahl stepped into the starting lineup for the Cougars and hasn't left.

He was the teams left guard for the 2013 regular season before moving out to left tackle for the bowl game - his home for the past two seasons.

Its no surprise head coach/offensive mad genius Mike Leach can pass 50 times a game with minimal pressure given Dahl's ability to lock down the quarterbacks blind side with good lateral movement and a solid anchor.

Despite earning first-team All-Pac-12 and USA Today second-team All-American accolades at left tackle in 2015, NFL scouts will want Dahl moved inside at the next level due to his average size and length. Either way, he’'ll be a worthy pick as a potential starter.
    Last edited by woodbuck27; 03-30-2016 at 11:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by woodbuck27 View Post
    Comment woodbuck27:

I've been looking at and analyzing NFL.COM's Chad Reuter's Five Round Mock.

I'll post his selections for the Green Bay Packers in this thread:

Chad Reuter

Chad Reuter has covered the NFL draft since 2000. He was hired by NFLDraftScout.com as a senior analyst in 2007, and continued in that role when NFLDraftScout and CBSSports.com formed their partnership for the 2009 draft. He joined NFL Network and NFL.com in December 2011 as a senior researcher, assisting in the production of the East-West Shrine Game, Senior Bowl, Scouting Combine and NFL Draft.

Five-round mock 5.0:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...-derrick-henry
    Does anyone like his Mock for the Packers?

As long as we get one of Leonte Carroo, Josh Doctson, Michael Thomas, Sterling Shephard, I think we will be really solid at WR. Those guys are the best (feasible) WRs available to us in the draft. Not sold on Fuller at all, myself.

Quote Originally Posted by smuggler View Post
    As long as we get one of Leonte Carroo, Josh Doctson, Michael Thomas, Sterling Shephard, I think we will be really solid at WR. Those guys are the best (feasible) WRs available to us in the draft. Not sold on Fuller at all, myself.
    When it comes to WR I think you have to look at what we have on the roster now, and with respect to the draft look only at WR's that offer something different than what we have.

We have a stable of WR's that fills the bill, except we have only 1 Flanker, Nelson.

The only one of those prospects you mentioned that offers something different or better than what we have is Doctson. Shepard is a lesser version of Cobb; Carroo is a lesser version of Montgomery; and Thomas is a poor route runner, lacks burst, and has to build up speed... he has size, and good hands, but I'd rather invest a high pick in better player.
    wist

I was thinking some outside speed to threaten the safeties.......

Quote Originally Posted by George Cumby View Post
    I was thinking some outside speed to threaten the safeties.......
    I'd be okay with Coleman or Doctson in the 1st round... if we miss out on those guys, I like Rashard Higgins further down - despite his terrible 40 time, I think Higgins is a player.
    wist

Quote Originally Posted by wist43 View Post
    I'd be okay with Coleman or Doctson in the 1st round... if we miss out on those guys, I like Rashard Higgins further down - despite his terrible 40 time, I think Higgins is a player.
    I think Higgins is overrated. I didn't like him much watching his film, and then he not only timed poorly in the 40, but tested poorly in almost every category. There are only two WRs out of 55 WRs that I looked at who tested worse than Higgins as an overall athlete in this draft, De'Runnya Wilson and D'haquille Williams. At least, those guys go 224+ lbs--while Higgins is 196 lbs. Only one guy out of 86 that I looked at in the last two drafts tested worse, Jarvis Landry. Landry sort of beat the odds (I say sort of because I don't think he's all that good) with the way he tested.

It's funny you said that if a CB runs 4.7, why bother looking at him. Well, there aren't any CBs that actually ran 4.7+ (except maybe one fringe guy, Jimmy Pruitt), and there aren't many WRs who timed or tested as poorly as Higgins.
    "There's a lot of interest in the draft. It's great. But quite frankly, most of the people that are commenting on it don't know anything about what they are talking about."--Ted Thompson

Oh yeah I like Coleman also wist. He'll be gone by 27 though, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by HarveyWallbangers View Post
    I think Higgins is overrated. I didn't like him much watching his film, and then he not only timed poorly in the 40, but tested poorly in almost every category. There are only two WRs out of 55 WRs that I looked at who tested worse than Higgins as an overall athlete in this draft, De'Runnya Wilson and D'haquille Williams. At least, those guys go 224+ lbs--while Higgins is 196 lbs. Only one guy out of 86 that I looked at in the last two drafts tested worse, Jarvis Landry. Landry sort of beat the odds (I say sort of because I don't think he's all that good) with the way he tested.

It's funny you said that if a CB runs 4.7, why bother looking at him. Well, there aren't any CBs that actually ran 4.7+ (except maybe one fringe guy, Jimmy Pruitt), and there aren't many WRs who timed or tested as poorly as Higgins.
    I looked at Higgins before the combine - his tape is great. He actually reminds me of Jerry Rice in how he runs his routes, snatches the ball, etc. Rice only ran a 4.6.

Very smooth athlete, good routes, good hands... I think he can play.
    wist

So it does not look like Ranking/Billings/Lee or Decker will be there in the latest polls

who are you thinking out of Floyd/Butler/Spence/Spriggs or Jackson111 all who seem to be there is the latest mocks

Was Higgins the kid who ran slow and then confirmed the slow time at his pro day recently? I read someone I normally trust (don't remember who) say that now all public draft people and rankings are going to drop him, but teams that liked him still think he will be good and the time was not unexpected.

wist, you have any film of him?
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Was Higgins the kid who ran slow and then confirmed the slow time at his pro day recently? I read someone I normally trust (don't remember who) say that now all public draft people and rankings are going to drop him, but teams that liked him still think he will be good and the time was not unexpected.

wist, you have any film of him?
    Here's Rang's write up on him:

Higgins led the country with 1,750 receiving yards, 17 touchdowns and an 18.2 yards-per-catch average in 2014. He went for more than 100 yards receiving in nine consecutive games, including against Philadelphia Eagles second-round pick Eric Rowe and the Utah Utes in the Las Vegas Bowl.

After just two seasons with McElwain calling the plays and Grayson delivering strikes, Higgins already has hauled in Colorado State's career record for receiving touchdowns with 23 scores.

STRENGTHS: Good height and length for the position. Light-footed with easy strides and natural body control. Excellent rhythm and depth in his routes and transitions his weight well. Crafty, coordinated footwork at the top of routes and off the line of scrimmage to create spacing. Above average locating ability with terrific sight adjustments to find, track and quickly adjust to the ball. Great sense of surroundings with an innate feel for holes in coverage. Nifty and creative to be a catch-and-go threat. Attacks with his hands and finishes through the process of the catch. Competitive blocker, using his body as a tool. Fearless over the middle and not intimidated by anyone on the field. Humble, but doesn't shy from his "Hollywood" nickname. Highly productive and leaves Colorado State as the school's all-time leader in catches (230), receiving yards (3,520) and touchdowns (31).

WEAKNESSES: Thin-boned with lean muscle tone. Not a powerful runner and won't consistently break tackles. Focused, but too finesse at the catch point. Can be overmatched physically and knocked off his route by some defensive backs. Mediocre top-end speed and lacks multiple gears. Good plant-and-go quickness, but not naturally explosive or a strong leaper. Has cut down the drops, but will have occasional focus lapses. Doesn't have any return experience on special teams.

IN OUR VIEW: Higgins lined up primarily as the "X" receiver in Colorado State's offense and was asked to run a variety of routes, showing the instincts to exploit holes and get uncovered. Higgins isn't a burner or sudden athlete, but he plays with synchronized shake and terrific footwork to plant-and-go without wasted movements in his routes. He is advanced in several areas at the position and might be the best receiver in this class at improvising to find open zones and give his quarterback a clean target. Although is lack of ideal size and speed will ding him on draft boards, Higgins has the production that matches the tape and his strengths translate well to the next level.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

I haven't heard anything about his pro-day. You look at his workout numbers and it makes you go back and look at his film again, then back and forth, lol... He looks great on the field, then you look at his numbers again, and back and forth - will be interesting to see where he goes. CBS still has him as a 2nd-3rd round pick.

The call on Higgins is going to be if a team thinks his short area quickness and burst will be enough to overcome the fact that he doesn't have long speed or extra gears.

I don't think he'll go before the 4th round, but if he's still there at the end of the 4th, or in the 5th??
    wist

Part of that writeup sounds like Abbrederis.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.