Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Stupidly Early Mock Draft

Wolf Pack Rat HOFer Deputy Nutz's Avatar
    I think if you can get Kevin Hogan in the 7th round you take him. The Packers at this point need to keep developing young QBs not necessarily to replace Rodgers, but to secure the position in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Deputy Nutz View Post
    I think if you can get Kevin Hogan in the 7th round you take him. The Packers at this point need to keep developing young QBs not necessarily to replace Rodgers, but to secure the position in the future.
    Yup, they need to have a steady parade of developmental types, because AR could miss more time as he ages, and the end for him could be sudden. They don't necessarily have to have a permanent replacement ready to go, but they need a guy they can get by with for few years, anyway.

We would like to think the AR we have known will be around another 5-8 years or so; but, truth be told, that AR was not here in 2015. Perhaps he has already slipped into the end phase of his career, perhaps he just had an off year. Time will tell.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    Yup, they need to have a steady parade of developmental types, because AR could miss more time as he ages, and the end for him could be sudden. They don't necessarily have to have a permanent replacement ready to go, but they need a guy they can get by with for few years, anyway.

We would like to think the AR we have known will be around another 5-8 years or so; but, truth be told, that AR was not here in 2015. Perhaps he has already slipped into the end phase of his career, perhaps he just had an off year. Time will tell.
    Not this year, I suspect. 1) doubtful Hogan makes it to the seventh 2) Packers have Tolzien and Hundley - this is the year Hundley passes Tolzien so that next year might be the year they draft a later round QB, to develop for a backup when Hundley takes over for Rodgers (unless they just see Tolzien staying in that role behind Hundley). If Hundley doesn't progress, then next year will likely see a serious high pick taken on a QB.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

I think there is a reasonable chance that Tolzien ends up elsewhere. He has to be better than a bunch of backups in the League and his last deal was not veteran minimum. I think he will want to continue to advance.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    Not this year, I suspect. 1) doubtful Hogan makes it to the seventh 2) Packers have Tolzien and Hundley - this is the year Hundley passes Tolzien so that next year might be the year they draft a later round QB, to develop for a backup when Hundley takes over for Rodgers (unless they just see Tolzien staying in that role behind Hundley). If Hundley doesn't progress, then next year will likely see a serious high pick taken on a QB.
    Tolzien is a free agent though, and I think he'll leave. He saw how good Hundley was last year.

Yeah, I don't think they have to worry about Tolzien leaving if Hundley passes him this year.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Senior Rat HOFer Carolina_Packer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Deputy Nutz View Post
    Every time I hear Kevin Hogan's name, I can't help but think about Col. Klink saying his drawn out "Colonel Hogaaaaan!"

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." -Daniel Patrick Moynihan

I can see the banners at Lambeau some day.

unless he sucks, then:

"What is this man doing here!?"

I love that theme song.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

27: R1P27
    OLB DARRON LEE
    OHIO STATE

A lot has been said on this forum about finding a linebacker with speed and athleticism and this might be the most athletic linebacker in the class. Came to Ohio St as a quarterback but moved to safety. He put on weight and moved to outside linebacker. Plays very fast, sometimes too fast but has the shock and awe capabilities. The only issue is his size. He might not be able to put on any more weight than his 235 pounds. I recognize that outside linebacker isn't exactly a position of need but with two to possibly three starters gone from the outside position in Perry, Neil, and Peppers, Lee could make a huge impact from day one. I don't know if he has the ability to move inside but I wouldn't draft him with the hopes of moving over a guard.

57: R2P26
    DT SHELDON RANKINS
    LOUISVILLE

Deepest position in the draft and the Packers get a steal in the second round getting first round talent in Rankins. There are bigger Nose guards out there, but he is big enough and has the ability to collapse the pocket from the interior. Dominated one on one drills at the Senior Bowl.

88: R3P25
    TE BRYCE WILLIAMS
    EAST CAROLINA

Williams might be the best athlete at the tight end position in the draft. he has the size and speed to adapt well to the Packers high demand passing game. He gives good to great effort in the run game although his advantage will be in the passing game. If he has a good combine it won't be a reach taking him in the third round.

122: R4P27
    WR BRAXTON MILLER
    OHIO STATE

One of the best athletes in the draft. Started three years at Ohio St as QB, and was the Big Ten Offensive Player of the Year twice. He is one of the fastest risers in the draft and if the Packers manage to land him in the 4th round he must have gotten busted with the trifecta of hookers, blow, and hand grenades. Think of a bigger possibly more explosive Randall Cobb.

151: R5P24
    ILB BLAKE MARTINEZ
    STANFORD

Inside linebacker that has some upside, more of a Jake Ryan type. Not a highly regarded athlete but does a nice job of recognizing pass and run, assignment sure. He could be a strength in defending the passing game.

182: R6P25
    OG JOE DAHL
    WASHINGTON STATE

Left Tackle in college but should slide in to the interior of the line. He would offer a bit of flexibility for the Packers if he continues to improve his foot work and getting his arms locked and extended. Good to decent value in the 6th round

216: R7P27
    TE JAKE MCGEE
    FLORIDA

Another value pick to upgrade the tight end position. It is a vital position for the Packers offense to run effectively and they need upgrades across the board. a magical unicorn 6th year player that was a graduate transfer from Virgina to Florida. He Broke his leg early in the 2014 season and was given an extra year of eligibility. He has the size and speed and athleticism to be a contributor and knows the position.

I love that draft Nutz, but I don't think they're getting Braxton Miller that low. I think he could go in R1 because he is a truly elite athlete. If he runs a 4.3, it's could be a done deal since every one already knows he is super quick and agile.

I have a number of friends who are OSU fans. They all hate Darron Lee because he has no instincts. Maybe he needs time to grow because he's changed position so many times. Maybe it'll never click. Maybe not the best pick for us. Maybe it's brilliant. But, Rankins in the second is probably a steal.
    Last edited by smuggler; 02-02-2016 at 12:39 PM.

The more I do this Fanspeak stuff the more unrealistic it is, Three out of the first four picks could all be first rounders. I know there is a lot of talent in the defensive tackle position but that doesn't mean guys with first round grades are going to drop to the end of the second round. Miller shouldn't be available in the fourth round. More and more draft boards have him flying off the board. I think the Packers would be happy to take him in round 2.

All I have read on Lee is that he is all instinct and struggles with the finer points

I'm not really super familiar with him. Just relaying what others have said. You're absolutely right wrt to the fanspeak draft sim, at this point.

Senior Rat HOFer Maxie the Taxi's Avatar
    Obviously on Fanspeak site it makes a big difference what Big Board you use to draft from. The Fanspeak board has guys rated way different than the CBS board. Same with Bleacher Report. These boards will be updated after the Senior Bowl, the Combine and Pro Days. Then, the differences aren't so great.
    One time Lombardi was disgusted with the team in practice and told them they were going to have to start with the basics. He held up a ball and said: "This is a football." McGee immediately called out, "Stop, coach, you're going too fast," and that gave everyone a laugh.
    John Maxymuk, Packers By The Numbers

Jumbo Rat HOFer
    27: R1P27
    ILB REGGIE RAGLAND
    ALABAMA

57: R2P26
    TE HUNTER HENRY
    ARKANSAS

88: R3P25
    DT JIHAD WARD
    ILLINOIS

122: R4P27
    WR DEMARCUS ROBINSON
    FLORIDA

151: R5P24
    G GREG PYKE
    GEORGIA

182: R6P25
    OLB JOE SCHOBERT
    WISCONSIN

216: R7P27
    OT JOE DAHL
    WASHINGTON STATE
    But Rodgers leads the league in frumpy expressions and negative body language on the sideline, which makes him, like Josh Allen, a unique double threat.

-Tim Harmston

Is that kid's name actually Jihad? Why not just name him Kluklux and be done with it?

IF I was a GM, no way I draft that guy.

I think Jihad has taken on a different or more limited meaning than it had 20 years ago.
    When I was young, some boys were named Gay. Not so much anymore.

In December, a company that has been around at least a few decades changed its name and as a result, its stock symbol. For decades it was....."ISIS". They found it had become a detriment.