Thread: Favre bonus moved back to July!!!

El Jardinero Rat HOFer MadtownPacker's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Favre bonus moved back to July!!!

Favre might wait until July to make up his mind

By Adam Schefter
    NFL Analyst

(April 14, 2006) -- It's no surprise that, for the fourth time, the Green Bay Packers have pushed back the $3 million roster bonus in quarterback Brett Favre's contract.

The surprise -- a mild one at that -- is where it was pushed back to.

This time, the Packers agreed to push back Favre's bonus to late July, just before the start of training camp. This signals that those waiting for an answer from Favre could be waiting for a long time -- long into the spring, and possibly into the summer.

We might not know Brett Favre's decision until it's time to pass out the red jerseys in Wisconsin.
    The two sides agreed to push back the bonus date again, and there was agreement from both sides that this was where the date should been set all along. This will allow Favre all the time he wants and needs to make the decision that is best for him and his family.

Many now believe that Favre is poised to retire, and some, such as NBC analyst John Madden, even have suggested that the Packers might wind up trading Favre. But there's a hangup with that scenario.

Shortly after last season, at least two teams are known to have contacted the Packers to see if there were any way Favre would be available in a trade. The answer was, no. A resounding no.

The Packers don't want to take the PR hit that would come along with trading Favre, whom some people now are expecting to retire. But if Favre retires, then the Packers would get nothing in return, whereas if they traded him to a contender, at least they would get something back for the quarterback that has become an icon in Green Bay.

The idea of trading Favre is hard to fathom. But it was just as hard to fathom trading Joe Montana from San Francisco. And the 49ers got back something for a quarterback who was nearing the end of his career.

If Montana got traded, there's no reason why Favre couldn't be.

But on the basis of the two teams' accounts, it doesn't seem as if there is any chance the Packers would even entertain the idea of dealing their longtime quarterback.

Re: Favre bonus moved back to July!!!

He's gotta make up his mind by the first minicamp.....well, he doesn't have to but what kind of message would that send to the other players if he didn't show up?

Wake me up when he decides. In the meantime, let's salivate over the draft. My own fantasy is that TT trades down and piles up loads of second, third, and fourth round picks.

Blog Entries

Re: Favre bonus moved back to July!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Rastak
    He's gotta make up his mind by the first minicamp.....well, he doesn't have to but what kind of message would that send to the other players if he didn't show up?
    He will show up. This is just a way to make the teams wanting a QB crap themselves knowing the will have to make a deal or risk losing their choice of players.

Like Ive been saying this whole time.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Fritz
    Wake me up when he decides. In the meantime, let's salivate over the draft. My own fantasy is that TT trades down and piles up loads of second, third, and fourth round picks.
    But dont you feel that is what this is all about Fritz? Pack can't reveal their hand and if Favre says he is coming bac teams will KNOW TT aint drafting a QB. Doesnt matter what he says, he aint getting another one. All this talk of being impressed with Young, who the raiders are gonna want, is just a move to get all those picks you covet.

Quote Originally Posted by MadtownPacker
    But dont you feel that is what this is all about Fritz? Pack can't reveal their hand and if Favre says he is coming bac teams will KNOW TT aint drafting a QB. Doesnt matter what he says, he aint getting another one. All this talk of being impressed with Young, who the raiders are gonna want, is just a move to get all those picks you covet.
    I completely agree. There's no way we get a decision before draft day, and there's not too much chance of signing anyone before then either IMO.
    "Greatness is not an act... but a habit.Greatness is not an act... but a habit." -Greg Jennings

Quote Originally Posted by MadtownPacker
    I'm sure this is gonna sound strange, but I honestly believe that even if Favre announced his intentions before the draft, and IF TT really does think Young is the next Michael Jordan of the NFL, he'd draft him. I really do.

He's a guy who actually means it when he says he'll take the best available athlete.

You have a point there. If I hear that MJ story one more time...
    "Greatness is not an act... but a habit.Greatness is not an act... but a habit." -Greg Jennings

Whenver I see someone refer to "MJ" I always think of Spiderman's girlfriend. A hot cartoon chick, by the way. Much hotter than Kirsten Dunst, who played her in the Spidey movies.

Fritz,

Personally I don't think it matter if Farve announced he was returning for the next three years, if TT thinks Young is the next Jordan of the NBA or even Favre of the NFL, we will grab him at the #5 if he is there.

While I do not like TT very much, I do get a sense that he may not not smart enough to simply talk something up that he really wouldn't do to posture for better drafts picks or a better deal of some sort.

I just think Favre is setting a mediocre team up for greatness. I've thought about this long and hard.

BF reckons out loudly, he'll only come back to win games, not records. He wants jewelry, not money; jewelry as in another ring.

He has about as much chance as getting to a SB with this team as any of us have spotting Little Whiskey's avartar cow eating the snow in the Wisconsin blizzard.

He knows it, but still, he'll be back. And, when he comes back, he'll say something like,

"well, with the great new additions in FA and the draft, plus the natural maturing process of our younger players, I am convinced we have a playoff caliber core of players. I have also taken some time to look around M3's new play book. I never thought I'd get that excited over the written word, but, heck - my tractor is gonna have to wait!"