This all started because I like to use sports statistics in my math classes. It keeps things interesting for the kids. My assistant and I got into a discussion about the top 5 greatest Qbs of all time and we had a differing of opinion. His list favored stats while mine favored wins and championships. So over the weekend I did some statistical analysis and I surprised myself. The Top 10 was not really all that difficult. The only argument was where to place these guys on the list, because to me they were all top ten players. 11-20 was much more difficult. The biggest challenge was the statistical anomalies throughout the last 80 years on QBs. Bart Starr was a well decorated QB in the 1960s but his stats cannot compare to those of the players 50 years later. If I were to rank running backs, it would fair much easier. I looked at several key stats, years played, completion %, TD/INT ratio, Yards per Attempt, Yards per Completion, yards per game, QB Rating, 4th quarter comebacks, game winning drives, regular season records, playoff records, rushing yards, rushing TDs, Yards per carry. Well here goes nothing.

Sonny Jurgensen 5 11' 202lbs
Eagles and Redskins
The only NFL Championship he won was when he was a back during his third year with the Eagles. Jurgensen had a prototypical throwing motion and delivery. He put good zip on the ball. He was a 5 time pro-bowler and a two time All Pro. He led the league 5 times in total passing yards and passing touchdowns twice. He was elected into the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 1983. An interesting stat was that Jurgensen led the NFL in pass attempts with 421 in 1969, the one and only year that Lombardi was his coach.

Jurgensen biggest failing was that he only went to the playoffs 4 times and never won a game as a starting QB.

Years Played: 18
Games Started:147
Regular Season Record: 69-73-7
Playoff Record: 0-3
Completion %: 57.1
Yards per Attempt: 7.6
Yards per Completion: 13.2
Yards per Game: 147
TD to INT ratio: 255/189
QB rating: 82.6
4th Quarter Comebacks: 18
Game Winning Drives: 14