Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Top 20 Quarterbacks To Play the Game (NFL/AFL)

Wolf Pack Rat HOFer Deputy Nutz's Avatar
    Good catch, hate to have that egg on my face

Quote Originally Posted by Deputy Nutz View Post
    Kurt Warner
    Rams, Giants, Cardinals

Kurt Warner was a nobody from Iowa. He played for little known Northern Iowa. He was able to get a short stint in training camp with the Packers in 1994. He managed to make the roster for the St. Louis Rams in 1998 under famed coach Dick Vermeil. In 1999 The Rams signed Trent Green to be their starting QB, but he was injured in preseason, and the starting gig was given to Warner. Warner would go on to lead the Rams to victory in the Super Bowl that season running a high speed offense that saw Warner pass for 41 touchdown passes breaking Brett Favre's NFC record of 38. Warner would go on to win the league's MVP that season. Warner would earn 4 trips to the Pro Bowl, the 1999 MVP and the 2001 MVP from the AP. His career with the Rams diminished after their appearance in the 2001 Super Bowl and he eventually became the back up to Eli Manning in New York. a Year later he moved to Arizona and led the Cardinals to the Super Bowl in 2008. He retired after the 2009 season.

Years Played: : 12
    Games Started:116
    Regular Season Record: 67-49
    Playoff Record: 9-4
    Completion %: 65.5
    Yards per Attempt: 7.9
    Yards per Completion: 12.1
    Yards per Game: 260
    TD to INT ratio: 208-84
    QB rating: 93.7
    4th Quarter Comebacks: 9
    Game Winning Drives: 14
    Rushing Yards: 286
    Yards per Carry: 1.7
    Rushing TDs: 3
    "There's no way to quantify Warner's commanding pocket presence, his ability to release the ball just before the rush arrives or the amazing array of passes he can throw with chilling accuracy," wrote Sports Illustrated
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

Warner also got shell shocked there for a while and after the Saints' coaching staff put a bounty on his head and knocked him out of the game he decided to retire

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Warner also got shell shocked there for a while and after the Saints' coaching staff put a bounty on his head and knocked him out of the game he decided to retire
    I had forgotten that he was a victim of that too. The shot he took was every bit as hard as Sapp's hit on Clifton. That hit would draw an immediate flag and suspension today.

http://deadspin.com/5890060/the-hit-...-to-injure-him

kinda reminds me of the hit the Spartans delivered on that place kicker from Oregon this past year

"Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Warner had a strange career. Every team he was with seemed anxious to find a replacement for him. The Rams released him in favor of Marc Bulger. The Giants signed him, then sat him after just part of a season to play the rookie Eli Manning, who really wasn't very good at that time. The Cardinals ordained Josh McCown the starter after Warner played a few games and had a minor injury from which he returned in just a couple weeks, yet they stuck with McCown. When that didn't work, Warner started a few more games, then Leinart was ordained the starter for the rest of the year. For several years they kept giving the starting job to Leinart, yet yelded again to Warner each year.

Warner was a very effective starting QB that nobody seemed to have patience with when he had just a couple bad games; and they all tried to make anyone but him their starter.

Warner's career sounds like what some posters here would like to do to Rodgers - or Stubby.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Fran Tarkenton 6-0 190lbs

Vikings, Giants

Fran Tarkenton was a 9 time pro bowler for the Vikings and the Giants. His hectic style in the backfield in Minnesota frustrated his coach and led to him being traded to the Giants in 1968. He was then traded back to the Vikings in 1972. It was in the 1970s that Fran took the Vikings to 3 Super Bowls winning NFC Titles in 1973, 1974, and 1976. He was named the NFL's offensive player of the year in 1975, NFL MVP, and also earning All-Pro honors the same year.

Years Played: 18
    Games Started: 239
    Regular Season Record: 124-109-6
    Playoff Record: 6-5
    Completion %: 57
    Yards per Attempt: 7.3
    Yards per Completion: 12.8
    Yards per Game: 191
    TD to INT ratio: 342-266
    QB rating: 80.4
    4th Quarter Comebacks: 30
    Game Winning Drives: 34
    Rushing Yards: 3674
    Yards per Carry: 5.4
    Rushing TDs: 32
    Come on, Fran Tarkenton was a noodle armed waterbug. His playoff record is a function of those amazing defenses he played with, and yet he still never managed to win a SB.

Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Deputy Nutz
    Fran Tarkenton 6-0 190lbs

Rushing Yards: 3674
    Yards per Carry: 32
    Rushing TDs: 5.4
    Really? No, it's 32 rushing TDs, 675 attempts, and 5.4 yards/attempt
    I was just about to accuse him, Bud Grant and whoever else coached him of being idiots. They should have kicked a FG instead of scoring 4/10 of a TD. The FG is worth more!

Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    I was just about to accuse him, Bud Grant and whoever else coached him of being idiots. They should have kicked a FG instead of scoring 4/10 of a TD. The FG is worth more!
    I couldn't figure if .4 TDs is 2.4 or 2.8 points. You can't score .4 or .8 points even with replacement refs.

The bottom line with Rodgers is that he isn't finished yet nor is he close to finished. He is not even the best QB of his era and like I have mentioned the tough thing about all this is jumping fro era to era with how the game was played and how the game was called by officials. Rodgers, Manninng, Brady, Brees, Roethlisberger all play in the current era where the passing game is emphasized by the league. We have record setting play currently going on in the NFL and I don't necessarily think it is because the QBs are all that much better than QBs of the past.

To be honest Rodgers wasn't even on my original list. Its just that his stats really jump off the charts, but a lot of QB stats jump out from 2007 on. Don't you think it is weird that Brett Favre had his best statistical season ever at the age of 40 in 2009?
    Sad how some people are so afraid to be called a homer that they can't speak the truth if it happens to support their own.

What QB EVER had the positive stats and overall success of Aaron Rodgers with the extremely low level of interceptions? That lack of turnovers combined with great success trumps everything else sets Rodgers apart from a lot of others who threw with great success but put if up for grabs a lot more often.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

I hate Kurt Warner and everything he stands for.
    I can now say I know Kurt and he's one of the nicest human beings I've ever had the pleasure of meeting. He's like a G rated version of the Skinbasket.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Campbell View Post
    I can now say I know Kurt and he's one of the nicest human beings I've ever had the pleasure of meeting. He's like a G rated version of the Skinbasket.
    I come out of lurking to hail a welcome back to Scott Campbell, as well as to acknowledge Nutz's great new avatar!

I now slink back...

Good call. But Division II is pretty close to high school. I think the hierarchy is: Division I > Division II > U of Minnesota > high school. Not sure about the last two.
    NDSU isn't Division II. They moved up to Division I (FCS). They've won championships (5) every year since, except their first year. No team at any level of college had won 5 straight. They've won their last 6 games against FBS competition (including defending Big 12 champion, Kansas State, in a year they won a bowl game), all on the road. Lately, some of the games haven't been that close, 34-14 over Iowa State and 37-24 in a comfortable win over Minnesota. Of course, most of those teams are lower echelon Power 5 teams (Minnesota, Kansas, Kansas State, Iowa State, Colorado, Colorado State). Next year, they get Iowa, so it will be a bigger test, and they lose their QB, Carson Wentz, who might end being first QB taken in this year's draft.

http://www.sbnation.com/college-foot...P-PLAYING-THEM
    "There's a lot of interest in the draft. It's great. But quite frankly, most of the people that are commenting on it don't know anything about what they are talking about."--Ted Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by HarveyWallbangers View Post
    NDSU isn't Division II. They moved up to Division I (FCS). They've won championships (5) every year since, except their first year. No team at any level of college had won 5 straight. They've won their last 6 games against FBS competition (including defending Big 12 champion, Kansas State, in a year they won a bowl game), all on the road. Lately, some of the games haven't been that close, 34-14 over Iowa State and 37-24 in a comfortable win over Minnesota. Of course, most of those teams are lower echelon Power 5 teams (Minnesota, Kansas, Kansas State, Iowa State, Colorado, Colorado State). Next year, they get Iowa, so it will be a bigger test, and they lose their QB, Carson Wentz, who might end being first QB taken in this year's draft.

http://www.sbnation.com/college-foot...P-PLAYING-THEM
    I know they changed the designations, but sorry NDSU didn't win the 'Level one' championship, whatever the hell you want to call it - FBS or some other such nonsense. They won the lower level FCS championship. I'm too bored to look it up, but has the same QB led them in every championship, because that's the point I was making with Otto Graham? I'm not really interested in digging deep into NDSU football, as fine a program as they are.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Campbell View Post
    My brain can't conceptualize this.

^^^^^^
    Skinbasket is a nice fellow, he is just the strangest person I know. The rumor has it that he has found religion.

^^^^^^
    Skinbasket is a nice fellow, he is just the strangest person I know. The rumor has it that he has found religion.
    I'm going to find your dog's butthole with my meat baton if you put Bert in the top 10. I see right through this "list" of yours. You wouldn't put this kind of time and effort into something unless it delivers a payoff of being a long winded way to say Rodgers isn't half the QB Farve was.
    "You're all very smart, and I'm very dumb." - Partial

Bart Starr 6-1 197lbs
    Packers

Bart Starr went from being the 200 pick in the 1956 draft to winning more NFL championships than any other quarterback. He was the first quarterback to ever win a Super Bowl and was named the MVP in Super Bowl I and Super Bowl II. He was the 1966 NFL MVP, and went to 4 Pro Bowls. He was famously known for his game winning drive and touchdown in the 1967 NFL Championship against the Dallas Cowboys dubbed the "ICE BOWL" because of the below zero temps and windchill during the December 31st game in Green Bay. Starr was responsible for calling the plays in the huddle, he had a great mind for the game which would later lead him into coaching for the only team he ever played for. He was inducted into the NFL Hall Of Fame in 1977.

Years Played: 16
    Games Started: 157
    Regular Season Record: 94-57-6
    Playoff Record: 9-1
    Completion %: 57.4
    Yards per Attempt: 7.8
    Yards per Completion: 13.7
    Yards per Game: 126.1
    TD to INT ratio: 152-138
    QB rating: 80.5
    4th Quarter Comebacks: 19
    Game Winning Drives: 18
    Rushing Yards: 1308
    Yards per Carry: 5.3
    Rushing TDs: 15

My brain can't conceptualize this.
    Seriously, once you strip away the essence of Skinbasket what is left?
    Go PACK

This is fucking tedious. I'd rather sit through a 2 hour Casey Kasem count down.