Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Roger Strikes Again Josh Brown Edition

Roger Strikes Again Josh Brown Edition

NFL, with Roger's help (he hired three people), adopted a policy of 6 game suspension by default for domestic violence after they blew the Ray Rice incident.

Giants kicker Josh Brown was in a bout with his ex-wife in which he was arrested. He just this month received a 1 game suspension after a hearing. If the default six game suspension was a starting point, the new policy wasn't explicit about it.

Seems like a discrepancy. The League issued a statement in which it failed to explain the discrepancy. Brown's wife and the police/authorities did not cooperate with the NFL investigation and it is unclear why. Its easy to imagine why his wife might not (payments, exposure, fear) but the official refusal is harder to parse.

It seems her injuries were minor and Brown doesn't seem to have been formally charged. But the League and the Giants successfully hid this for a year before results of his August 1st hearing broke. Odd that releasing contractural terms or CBA negotiations or conduct detrimental interviews always seem to leak, but they can keep a tight lid on domestic violence.

It was later revealed that Brown's wife had claimed to police that there had been 20 physical confrontations with her now ex-husband dating back to 2009.

Without police reports from those incidents or cooperation of the parties, it would be difficult without a complete investigation to flesh out and substantiate that claim. The NFL doesn't seem to have put one together for obvious reasons.

What the League is left with is a situation where like Greg Hardy, the player can buy off witnesses and the League is not obligated to more than polite asking for cooperation. What seemed to have changed after Hardy and Rice was that the default penalty would be substantially larger.

That doesn't seem to be the case. What does seem consistent, is that the League, if it can keep the details from public view, is still willing to side with the player.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

shouldn't this be a situation where its either zero games, or six? either the nfl can prove it happened, or they can't

its all or nothing, the nfl can't say, well, we think something happened, but we can't prove anything, so we're just gonna suspend you a little

the nfl is NOT above the law, if the law isn't gonna do a damn thing about the abuse (no punishment) the where does goddell get to end up being above the law and decide if someone is guilty or not?

Quote Originally Posted by red View Post
    the nfl is NOT above the law, if the law isn't gonna do a damn thing about the abuse (no punishment) the where does goddell get to end up being above the law and decide if someone is guilty or not?
    In the CBA, which is a LEGAL document (thus, law) the players agreed to give Roger-boy a whole lotta power. They can whine, bitch, moan, grump, throw a tantrum...but legally, no judge will choose to go against a collectively bargained agreement. The players are the ones who allowed Roger to be above the law...they have no one else to blame.
    It's such a GOOD feeling...13 TIME WORLD CHAMPIONS!!

i think we're not gonna have football in 2019 or 2020 or when ever the cba runs out. players need to did in for a long strike.

#1 priority should be, no cba agreement with goodell in charge

shouldn't this be a situation where its either zero games, or six? either the nfl can prove it happened, or they can't

its all or nothing, the nfl can't say, well, we think something happened, but we can't prove anything, so we're just gonna suspend you a little

In somewhat the same way that OJ Simpson was found not guilty in the criminal trial, yet liable for millions in the civil trial for killing his former wife. Each situation has its own standards.

Did the incident happen before the new policy get put in place? If so, then the automatic 6 game suspension does not apply.
    Fire Murphy, Gute, MLF, Barry, Senavich, etc!

Quote Originally Posted by MadScientist View Post
    Did the incident happen before the new policy get put in place? If so, then the automatic 6 game suspension does not apply.
    that hasn't stopped the league in the past (ray rice, AP)

Jumbo Rat HOFer
    i think we're not gonna have football in 2019 or 2020 or when ever the cba runs out. players need to did in for a long strike.

#1 priority should be, no cba agreement with goodell in charge
    There definitely could be a work stoppage next time around. But it will cost the players something in return. Maybe that will be an 18 game regular season. I am not sure the players would give up a lot to protect the 10 out of 1,700 or so players annually that Goddell throws the book at.
    But Rodgers leads the league in frumpy expressions and negative body language on the sideline, which makes him, like Josh Allen, a unique double threat.

-Tim Harmston

Goodell is a terrible commissioner - he thinks like a sleazy lawyer and is incapable of thinking or acting in the best interests of anyone but himself. The league is always in the headlines for negatives, i.e. player run-ins with the law, PED's, etc. Goodell seeks out those negatives and turns mole hills into mountains.

As for the Josh Brown incident... his ex-wife can make all the claims she wants - doesn't mean it's true. Maybe some of it is true, maybe a lot of it is true - maybe none of it is true.

I have news for you guys - women can be despicable, spiteful bitches. Just b/c a creature has a vagina, doesn't mean it is telling the truth about anything.
    wist

Quote Originally Posted by wist43 View Post
    Goodell is a terrible commissioner - he thinks like a sleazy lawyer and is incapable of thinking or acting in the best interests of anyone but himself. The league is always in the headlines for negatives, i.e. player run-ins with the law, PED's, etc. Goodell seeks out those negatives and turns mole hills into mountains.

As for the Josh Brown incident... his ex-wife can make all the claims she wants - doesn't mean it's true. Maybe some of it is true, maybe a lot of it is true - maybe none of it is true.

I have news for you guys - women can be despicable, spiteful bitches. Just b/c a creature has a vagina, doesn't mean it is telling the truth about anything.
    Men can be lying Neanderthals who will stab you in the back if that will help them get ahead. Just b/c a creature has a penis doesn't mean it is any more truthful than the other gender.

I would suggest you not paint an entire segment of the population with such a broad stroke just because you got burned by some female.

Anyone can be a terrible person wist. But she did have a protective order against him at one point as he broke through a door to confront her son.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/fo...icle-1.2757186
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by Pugger View Post
    Men can be lying Neanderthals who will stab you in the back if that will help them get ahead. Just b/c a creature has a penis doesn't mean it is any more truthful than the other gender.
    That's true too... unfortunately, we live in a highly feminized society that is predictably breaking down. Americans, both men and women, are proof that the documentary Idiocracy is nothing if not prophetic.

I would suggest you not paint an entire segment of the population with such a broad stroke just because you got burned by some female.
    It isn't that women are defective - it's that American women are defective. Women from different countries are, surprise/surprise... different. Dated a lot of women from all over the world - American women simply aren't worth the trouble. Like The Guess Who said, American Woman: Stay Away From Me!!!

Study: American men are becoming pussies, and American woman are growing chest hair and penises

http://acculturated.com/are-men-beco...he-weaker-sex/
    wist

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Anyone can be a terrible person wist. But she did have a protective order against him at one point as he broke through a door to confront her son.

Not defending him... the point is - just b/c "she said... " the league can't suspend the guy on those grounds. Need some proof.
    wist

Oracle Rat HOFer Cheesehead Craig's Avatar
    Study: American men are becoming pussies, and American woman are growing chest hair and penises
    Glad to see women are finally coming around to your preferences.
    All hail the Ruler of the Meadow!

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post

Not defending him... the point is - just b/c "she said... " the league can't suspend the guy on those grounds. Need some proof.
    I doubt a judge would have issued a protective order based on just "she said..." There would have been some corroborating evidence for her assertions. The NFL can rely on that.

Senior Rat HOFer Carolina_Packer's Avatar
    Kicker and Kick her sound very much alike. Just sayin'.
    "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." -Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    I doubt a judge would have issued a protective order based on just "she said..." There would have been some corroborating evidence for her assertions. The NFL can rely on that.
    Yes, b/c judges are reliable, honest, and discerning in interpreting laws which themselves are corrupted with idiocy??

Judges are lawyers - there isn't a lower life form on the planet.

Antonio Gramsci was right.
    wist

Yes, b/c judges are reliable, honest, and discerning in interpreting laws which themselves are corrupted with idiocy??
    Most judges are, yes. Judges are often hamstrung by laws and precedent that make a specific result seemingly unfair. Are all judges reliable, honest and discerning? Probably not, just as there are incompetent and under performing people in all walks of life.

Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    Given the emotions involved with a break-up and the long history of violence in these cases, I wouldn't be surprised that a protective order could be obtained with little to no evidence for past violence.
    Fire Murphy, Gute, MLF, Barry, Senavich, etc!

In this instance, apparently there were multiple calls to the police, Brown virtually admitting it by saying it was just a moment that happened, his wife having gone to neighbors including Matt Hasselbeck and Chris Spencer during other instances, and Brown undergoing therapy for abusive behavior. Probably more than enough for the league to act on.