Page 23 of 24 FirstFirst ... 13 21 22 23 24 LastLast

Thread: The 2015-16 'OFF SEASON' NFL Happenings Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Bretsky View Post
    I agree........on other hand...KUDOS to Elway for buying a SB, and having it work !!!!!!
    Yes, bully for them that they bought a SB. But was the price worth it? We shall see...

Quote Originally Posted by Pugger View Post
    Yes, bully for them that they bought a SB. But was the price worth it? We shall see...
    Of course it was worth it. The SB is the ultimate prize everyone is shooting for, and they got it. So what if they are down in 2016? When was the last time any team repeated as SB champ?

Jumbo Rat HOFer
    This is my opinion and my opinion only, winning 1 Super Bowl would not be worth another decade like the 70s. No way no how. Not saying that is what Denver has done or what is going to happen to them.

Yeah, we beat Chicago once this year is not the yardstick a franchise should have but that was all I remember wanting growing up and rooting for the Pack.
    But Rodgers leads the league in frumpy expressions and negative body language on the sideline, which makes him, like Josh Allen, a unique double threat.

-Tim Harmston

Quote Originally Posted by ThunderDan View Post
    This is my opinion and my opinion only, winning 1 Super Bowl would not be worth another decade like the 70s. No way no how. Not saying that is what Denver has done or what is going to happen to them.

Yeah, we beat Chicago once this year is not the yardstick a franchise should have but that was all I remember wanting growing up and rooting for the Pack.
    I agree with that, but there is no real reason for any downturn to last that long. It only takes about four years to completely turnover an NFL roster, and you can effectively turnover much of it in just a few years. We'll see how Denver handles that part of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    I agree with that, but there is no real reason for any downturn to last that long. It only takes about four years to completely turnover an NFL roster, and you can effectively turnover much of it in just a few years. We'll see how Denver handles that part of it.
    Agreed. The 70's Packers (which I thankfully was blissfully unaware of) were the result of continued fuck-ups, and fuck-ups cleaning up the initial fuck-ups, of near Cleveland Brown's proportions.

The bigger issue is taking that shot, and missing, which is a much more frequent occurence...ask the Eagle's 'Dream Team'about that, and there are many more examples, many coming out of Washington and Dallas. I think Elway was more lucky than good, and had a few key pieces fall his way.
    --
    Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 11h11 hours ago
    #Bears coach John Fox told reporters WR Marquess Wilson re-fractured his foot and will have surgery early next week.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Allegedly, a guy Sanchez knew from his church took him for $7M, Jake Peavy and Roy Oswalt for $30M.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/...ncial-advisor/

Andrew Luck signed a new deal. Schefter and RapSheet disagree on whether its a 5 year extension or a new 6 year deal. But here are the particulars:

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 4m4 minutes ago
    More Andrew Luck numbers: $87M in guarantees... $60M fully guaranteed by Mar. of 2017, $81M by 3/18, $87M fully guaranteed by 3/19

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 58m58 minutes ago
    #Colts QB Andrew Luck's 5-year extension pays him $75M over the first 3 years, source said. Slightly less over final 2 years.

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 21m21 minutes ago
    And one of the best parts of the deal for Andrew Luck. Scheduled to be a free agent again at 32. Another big bite of the apple awaits.

DOUBT IT. HE IS ALREADY TAKING AN INCREDIBLE BEATING.

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 30m30 minutes ago
    Before today, richest guarantees were $65 million given to Eli Manning and Philip Rivers. Colts gave Andrew Luck $87 million in guarantees.

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 32m32 minutes ago
    Details on Andrew Luck deal:
    5-year extension (6-year deal).
    Just north of $139 million (a record).
    $87 million in guarantees (a record).

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 1h1 hour ago
    On his 5-year extension, #Colts QB Andrew Luck is now the highest paid player in the NFL, source said. Puts him over Joe Flacco's $22.1M.

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 45m45 minutes ago
    For clarity's sake: Andrew Luck signed a new 6-year deal, rather than a 5-year extension to add on to his old deal (1 yr, $16.2M left).
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Oracle Rat HOFer Cheesehead Craig's Avatar
    With Luck's deal, we'll never be able to afford to keep Rodgers in 2 years, especially if he goes back to MVP form. It just may make more financial sense to trade him.
    All hail the Ruler of the Meadow!

Anyone else feel like Luck has already plateaued as a QB?

Quote Originally Posted by Zool View Post
    Anyone else feel like Luck has already plateaued as a QB?
    Yes. Not so much that the talent isn't there, but I think it could be a more of a David Carr/Tim Couch situation, taking too much of a beating early in his career preventing him from fully developing. Luck took 73 sacks in his first two years of his career. Carr took 125 (wtf?) and Couch was sacked 107 times in seasons 1 and 3 (both were injured for part of their second season, go figure).

By comparison, the Colts put a good line in from of Peyton, and he went down less than half what Luck did, 36 times.
    --

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Andrew Luck signed a new deal. Schefter and RapSheet disagree on whether its a 5 year extension or a new 6 year deal. But here are the particulars:
    One thing he didn't get that was floated was a %age of the salary cap. Some pundits thought his agents were trying to tie his contract to that.
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesehead Craig View Post
    With Luck's deal, we'll never be able to afford to keep Rodgers in 2 years, especially if he goes back to MVP form. It just may make more financial sense to trade him.
    That's what Hundley is for!

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesehead Craig View Post
    As a percentage of the cap, Luck's deal fell short of the fleecing Flacco gave to the Ravens. There is still room to keep Rodgers should they want to.

I dont think the Luck contract prices Rodgers out of our range in 2 years. As a percentage of the salary cap at time of signing, Rodgers was higher than Luck. If we increase his current salary to say 25 mil to 28 mil in 2 years that might still be affordable as the league is increasing revenue quite quickly, so we might be spending relatively less on Rodgers than we are now.
    I hope Hundley makes this a pointless conversation, but I will believe that when MM and TT tell me. I dont second guess them on starting quarterback talent. I save my second guessing for there evaluation of DL and ILB.

Jon Ryan sighting. He's an actor now, apparently.

https://twitter.com/gaffiganshow/sta...79597857017856

Jim Gaffigan Show ‏@gaffiganshow
    .@mariobatali @kurtbraunohler & #JonRyan all want to play @JimGaffigan. Catch up on #GaffiganShow on DVR/on demand!

Cowboys off to a heck of a start to camp. Domestic violence report, PEDs and now this:

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 45s45 seconds ago
    Cowboys' DE Randy Gregory has entered a treatment facility and is not expected to report to training camp this week, per @Edwerderespn.

Veteran WR Anquan Boldin is signing with the #Lions, source said (as @AdamSchefter reported). #Eagles and #Saints also showed real interest

Oh good. Golden Tate and Bolden on same team.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Veteran WR Anquan Boldin is signing with the #Lions, source said (as @AdamSchefter reported). #Eagles and #Saints also showed real interest

Oh good. Golden Tate and Bolden on same team.
    Great, now CApers can refuse to have someone cover him on a more regular basis.

ProFootballTalk ‏@ProFootballTalk 43m43 minutes ago
    Andre Johnson signing with Titans

Poor Andre Johnson. He deserves a better sendoff.