Page 18 of 23 FirstFirst ... 8 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast

Thread: The 2015-16 'OFF SEASON' NFL Happenings Thread

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    ^ Loved his celebration after it too.

And then they threw the flag.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

I would be shocked if Bradford doesn't end up on the Broncos.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Quote Originally Posted by esoxx View Post
    I would be shocked if Bradford doesn't end up on the Broncos.
    good call
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Blog Entries
    me too; and Bradford would be a nice fit on the Broncos....IMO better than Kapernicker.......they'll end up trading a late 4th
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

Senior Rat HOFer Carolina_Packer's Avatar
    If Denver couldn't afford CK's cap number, how can they afford Bradford's? The Jets makes way more sense. They can give the money to Bradford instead of Fitzpatrick, and Bradford won't feel like he's looking over his shoulder with Gino Smith as the backup.
    "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." -Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Quote Originally Posted by Carolina_Packer View Post
    If Denver couldn't afford CK's cap number, how can they afford Bradford's? The Jets makes way more sense. They can give the money to Bradford instead of Fitzpatrick, and Bradford won't feel like he's looking over his shoulder with Gino Smith as the backup.
    every time something sounds good, someone drops the cap on my ass.

If Philly trades him after June 1, they have 5.5 against the cap this year and next. Trade before and it's 11 mil. 12.5 mil if they keep him. So either they keep him or they trade after June 1. Assume team that picks him up would have the 12.5 mil cap figure this year. That is a lot.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Bradford got $11 mil in bonus and has a $7 mil salary this year. Broncos would only owe the $7 mil. He has a $4 mil roster bonus next year and $13 mil in salary for 2017 the there is no guarantee he will see (cap hit to release for Eagles is $5.5 mil). Bradford wants longer term and more early money and there is only one year that needs to be dealt with by new team.

Kaepernick got paid $12 mil in signing bonus the Broncos don't have to fork over and the contract is year by year. But he does get $11.9 mil in salary in 2016. Broncos don't want a 5 year deal on the books at that pay rate, CK has limited incentive to reduce it.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Bradford got $11 mil in bonus and has a $7 mil salary this year. Broncos would only owe the $7 mil. He has a $4 mil roster bonus next year and $13 mil in salary for 2017 the there is no guarantee he will see (cap hit to release for Eagles is $5.5 mil). Bradford wants longer term and more early money and there is only one year that needs to be dealt with by new team.

Kaepernick got paid $12 mil in signing bonus the Broncos don't have to fork over and the contract is year by year. But he does get $11.9 mil in salary in 2016. Broncos don't want a 5 year deal on the books at that pay rate, CK has limited incentive to reduce it.
    Several sites report that $4 million of his 2017 salary is fully guaranteed now, and another $4 million in 2017 is guaranteed against injury. This would be consistent with the reports that there was $22 million guaranteed at the time of signing ($11M signing bonus, $7M 2016 salary and $4M 2017 salary). If true, the Broncos would be on the hook for at least $7 million this year and $4 million next year.

Edit- Over the Cap lists the Eagles cap hit to release him pre-June this year at $22M, which is consistent with the 2016 and 2017 salary guarantees above.
    Last edited by Patler; 04-28-2016 at 04:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    Several sites report that $4 million of his 2017 salary is fully guaranteed now, and another $4 million in 2017 is guaranteed against injury. This would be consistent with the reports that there was $22 million guaranteed at the time of signing ($11M signing bonus, $7M 2016 salary and $4M 2017 salary). If true, the Broncos would be on the hook for at least $7 million this year and $4 million next year.

Edit- Over the Cap lists the Eagles cap hit to release him pre-June this year at $22M, which is consistent with the 2016 and 2017 salary guarantees above.
    Spotrac agrees with those numbers. $11 million of the guarantee has been taken care of. $4 million guaranteed in salary this year is not hard to absorb. That leave the $4 million partially guaranteed roster bonus to deal with which could be made a signing bonus (or kept since its just year 2 money). $8 mil guaranteed to you starter for two years isn't terrible.

The problem is only the cap hit and timing. Not sure there is a way around that other than to wait. He could pay most of it back as he signs a new deal.

Spotrac agrees with those numbers. $11 million of the guarantee has been taken care of. $4 million guaranteed in salary this year is not hard to absorb. That leave the $4 million partially guaranteed roster bonus to deal with which could be made a signing bonus (or kept since its just year 2 money). $8 mil guaranteed to you starter for two years isn't terrible.

The problem is only the cap hit and timing. Not sure there is a way around that other than to wait. He could pay most of it back as he signs a new deal.
    You've lost me. My understanding from Over the Cap is this:

$11M signing bonus falls to the Eagles.

$7 M guaranteed salary for 2016 salary falls to whoever has him in 2016, split if he is traded during 2016 season.

$4 M guaranteed for 2017 salary falls to whoever has him in 2017, or to whoever last had him if he is released.

That would make up the $22M fully guaranteed as of today.

Sportrac and Over the Cap differ on the guarantee, and the cap hit to the Eagles if he is cut pre-June. Sportrac has it at $18M, Over the Cap has $22M. So they seem to differ on if anything is guaranteed now for 2017.

You've lost me. My understanding from Over the Cap is this:

$11M signing bonus falls to the Eagles.

$7 M guaranteed salary for 2016 salary falls to whoever has him in 2016, split if he is traded during 2016 season.

$4 M guaranteed for 2017 salary falls to whoever has him in 2017, or to whoever last had him if he is released.

That would make up the $22M fully guaranteed as of today.

Sportrac and Over the Cap differ on the guarantee, and the cap hit to the Eagles if he is cut pre-June. Sportrac has it at $18M, Over the Cap has $22M. So they seem to differ on if anything is guaranteed now for 2017.
    A mess any which way you look at it. This deal looked awful when the signed him to it, and even worse now. WHAT were they thinking? I can't see anyone else paying him that, they had to be bidding against themselves.
    --
    Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...

I used wrong figure used for his salary this year (4 rather than 7). But I still think the guaranteed money is easily dealt with in another contract/extension. $11 mil guaranteed is the ante for a starting QB these days. Splitting that between new signing bonus/roster bonus/salary is doable.

The cap hit to the Eagles is a big concern. They have some room, but not that much room. So they need relief because even the lower estimate of the cap hit is too much. I don't know if its possible to get that without waiting (which his new team will not want) or giving the money back.

But have to think Condon has worked out the numbers so its possible. So I think its still easier to get Bradford to a new contract than Kaepernick. Problem with Bradford is the cap hit. So the Broncos are still in play.

I don't enjoy thinking about the cap

Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    I don't enjoy thinking about the cap
    Just you tell that Mr. C_P that you think the cap situation for Bradford and the Broncos isn't insurmountable.

Senior Rat HOFer Carolina_Packer's Avatar

Can anyone please tell me how to get to Howie Roseman's office? I must warn him of our mistake.
    "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." -Daniel Patrick Moynihan

There would be no problem at all for the Eagles to trade him this year, just a cap hit of $11M, which is less than the cap hit to keep him. They actually gain cap space by trading him.

The acquiring team could have two years for the remaining $25M, their biggest problem would be that it would be skewed heavily toward 2017, so they would need to plan. If they dumped him before next season they would have $7M against 2016 and at least $4M against 2017, if in fact $4M of 2017 is guaranteed already..

There would be no problem at all for the Eagles to trade him this year, just a cap hit of $11M, which is less than the cap hit to keep him. They actually gain cap space by trading him.
    and I saw after June 1, that 11M would be split over two years. For Philly it really comes down to what they can get for him.

OK. $11mil bonus - $7mil salary -$5.5 pro-rated bonus yields a $1.5 million cap savings. Where does Spotrac get $18 mil of dead money?

dp

OK. $11mil bonus - $7mil salary -$5.5 pro-rated bonus yields a $1.5 million cap savings. Where does Spotrac get $18 mil of dead money?
    The $18M hit is if they were to release him this year, pre-June. I assume it is the $11M signing bonus, all of which would be accelerated into 2016, and his 2016 salary of $7M that is guaranteed. They don't seem to recognize the $4M guaranteed for 2017 that Over the Cap includes.