Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Packers 2016 Offseason

Quote Originally Posted by Smidgeon View Post
    Just pointing out that the experiment that failed so spectacularly was qualified to the multitasking one in the comment... With which I agree.
    IMO the only multitasking experiment that failed last year was having Van Pelt coach both QBs and WRs. I'm glad Mike has a separate position coach for WRs again.

Exactly

McCarthy's Coaching Hire, Pre Combine Press Conference.

I predict many mentions of program, calendar and timetable.

1. RB/TE coach changes. Offers nothing but thanks for service to exits. new coaching bring some new ideas in.

2. New ideas not all, its a performance business, getting players to respond. Sometimes change lets you improve that process.

3. New guys were candidates off recommendations, not previous contacts.

4. Plan last year did not achieve its goal. Thinks changes have been too often cited as excuses. But current structure and assignments are similar to past, so no more blame in that direction.

5. His schedule Monday same (review game), Tuesday/Wednesday still doing things he started to do last year across team, Thursday/Friday back to game plan.

6. Thinks Lacy's offseason conditioning is improving as we speak.

7. Across the board view he thinks helped Defense (but still needs to improve to be Championship level) and made definitely uptick in ST. Offense was disappointing across the board and needs to get back to basics.

8. New guy David had a tremendous interview two years ago. Next guy up Luke bested it and got the job. Loves having both.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    I do think the Packers could use another playmaker in the front seven. But I don't think letting Peppers go changes that for the better at all. Makes it worse even if he is wearing down.
    I would like to bring the front seven back intact if we could... Capers is finally using them to their strengths, and some of the guys have developed from where they were a couple of years ago.

To what we have, my biggest wishlist item would be a speed ILB that can play sideline to the sideline, play downhill, cover, instinctual down the seam... we need a piece of dynamite in the middle of that defense.

Secondly on the wishlist would be - if Raji doesn't come back, make sure his replacement is an upgrade. I really like Daniels and Guion as a tandem. Don't think Jones has carried his weight; Pennel showed some improvement... still, I'd like to see more out of the DL. This is a good year for DT's in the draft, so maybe we can get some help there?
    wist

Senior Rat HOFer Carolina_Packer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wist43 View Post
    I would like to bring the front seven back intact if we could... Capers is finally using them to their strengths, and some of the guys have developed from where they were a couple of years ago.

To what we have, my biggest wishlist item would be a speed ILB that can play sideline to the sideline, play downhill, cover, instinctual down the seam... we need a piece of dynamite in the middle of that defense.

Secondly on the wishlist would be - if Raji doesn't come back, make sure his replacement is an upgrade. I really like Daniels and Guion as a tandem. Don't think Jones has carried his weight; Pennel showed some improvement... still, I'd like to see more out of the DL. This is a good year for DT's in the draft, so maybe we can get some help there?
    As unlikely as it might be, should both Sheldon Rankins and Noah Spence fall to where the Packers are drafting, which one do you choose and why?
    "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." -Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Quote Originally Posted by Carolina_Packer View Post
    As unlikely as it might be, should both Sheldon Rankins and Noah Spence fall to where the Packers are drafting, which one do you choose and why?
    Love Rankins, don't see him dropping to us - we'd have to move up to get him. Seriously doubt TT would do that. Rankins is very quick, very tough for any OL to handle. Spence on the hand, I have to look at him more. He has some off field baggage. He'd have to play standing up IMO.

Definitely like Rankins over Spence.
    wist

Oracle Rat HOFer Cheesehead Craig's Avatar
    Interesting how the mock drafts love Spence more than Rankins. Spence is a consensus top 12 pick from what I've seen. Rankins can be anywhere from a #10 pick to early 2nd round, with the majority I've seen having him in the mid 20's. Not surprising given Spence is a great edge rusher.
    All hail the Ruler of the Meadow!

Quote Originally Posted by Smidgeon View Post
    Just pointing out that the experiment that failed so spectacularly was qualified to the multitasking one in the comment... With which I agree.
    ^^^

MM's hands on approach everywhere seemed to be fine. It was the combined position coaches that, at least from an outside glance, let everyone down.

Quote Originally Posted by Striker View Post
    ^^^

MM's hands on approach everywhere seemed to be fine. It was the combined position coaches that, at least from an outside glance, let everyone down.
    I think M3 agrees with you. I haven't read the papers coverage yet, but I saw most of the PC live. Essentially that Van Pelt was made QB coach again, and Getsy got the WR job so that Bennett and Clements could continue to do the jobs they did last year. I *think* that means he is still pushing some overall OC responsibilities on each of them (practice planning definitely, maybe scouting, game review, etc.) so that he can still meet with the D and the ST midweek.

But he said by the end of the week he would be back to planning the O for the game.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Wow. I agree wholeheartedly with Wist on something. This means Armageddon is here. Better all get yourselves generators, lots of gas, weapons, ammo, and canned goods.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    Wow. I agree wholeheartedly with Wist on something. This means Armageddon is here. Better all get yourselves generators, lots of gas, weapons, ammo, and canned goods.
    It's not much of a stretch to have people agree on wanting a Shazier or Urlacher at ILB.

But, in any case, don't forget a barrel of potable water, water treatment solution, dried legumes, and MREs.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    It's not much of a stretch to have people agree on wanting a Shazier or Urlacher at ILB.

But, in any case, don't forget a barrel of potable water, water treatment solution, dried legumes, and MREs.
    When it comes to me and Wist, any agreement whatsoever is a stretch.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Ty Montgomery might not be back until camp after his ankle surgery. http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/14...lson-back-otas

McCarthy joked that Rodgers looked fine on the golf course. Rodgers played in the AT&T Pebble Beach Pro-Am earlier this month. In another injury note, McCarthy said receiver Ty Montgomery, who played in only six games before undergoing ankle surgery, may not be ready until the start of training camp.
    Rodgers (fully) and Nelson (limited) expected to be available in OTAs.

Raji and Packers still talking.

Crosby and Packers honing in on deal.
    Rob Demovsky
    ESPN Staff Writer
    The Packers have been in regular talks with kicker Mason Crosby's agent, Mike McCartney, and expect to get a deal done without using the franchise tag, according to a source at the NFL combine.

What the heck really happened to Ty's ankle? He get it sawed off by the lady from 'Audition'?

Quote Originally Posted by run pMc View Post
    What the heck really happened to Ty's ankle? He get it sawed off by the lady from 'Audition'?
    Pretty sure he had offseaspn surgery. Not unusual for the Packers to hold guys out who had surgery until training camp.

http://espn.go.com/blog/green-bay-pa...in-free-agency

“Being the key decision-maker, whether it’s player acquisition or player instruction, someone has to say no,” McCarthy said. “That’s why they have a chain of command. That’s why you have responsibilities. Someone has to be the bad guy. You guys who have kids, you know what I’m talking about. I’m tired of being the bad guy.”
    Just a comment about being a Dad, right?

From same ESPN article:

Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 27m27 minutes ago
    If 52 at OLB, who is ILB? MM said this on Jake Ryan "Jake played better than I think you realize, with his individual grades."

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    The Packers have been in regular talks with kicker Mason Crosby's agent, Mike McCartney, and expect to get a deal done without using the franchise tag, according to a source at the NFL combine.
    Nepotism!!!!

Hands-to-the-face Rat HOFer 3irty1's Avatar
    Don't think Jones has carried his weight;
    I feel about Jones how I feel about Perry. Once in a while the guy will blow me away and look like he's playing against highschoolers. Unlike Perry, Jones is still inexperienced enough that I feel more optimistic about his odds of being a difference maker. I don't think anyone on the front 7 has as big of a step to take nor is as likely to actually take that step.
    70% of the Earth is covered by water. The rest is covered by Al Harris.

Summary of the rest of M3's Interview inside a Sports Pub.

1. Matthews - outside
    2. ARod's knee - coaches knew
    3. ARod in OTA - yes
    4. Nelson in OTZ - limited
    5. Nelson camp - yes
    6. Raji - want him back
    7. Peppers - think he is back
    8. Mike Pennel? - still one of their guys
    9. Monty's long inactive streak - kept trying to come back rather than shut it down. surgery much earlier for many others
    10. People's Champion Janis? - If you are a fan of Janis, then you are a fan of Luke Getsy. Took on the job of teaching Janis how to catch ball over shoulder in Week 7. Improved by bye week.
    11. Adams - routes were not as good, steps were shorter. Possibly injury or confidence.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packe...370218481.html